Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
futureboy
Chef

Default Slight correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Great model, great build. Only the model is in 1/35 a bit on the small size. I would have preferred 1/24 to go with a 44"-er

Some of the original prop Rovers were in 1/14 scale. This can be calculated when you see the "Dr. Who" figure which served as the driver.

http://www.modelminiatures.co.uk/moo...lighttest1.jpg

The Harvester was also in 1/14: http://www.modelminiatures.co.uk/moo...illstracks.jpg
The large rover (with two extra payloads) was 6th scale and the three small rovers were 12th scale. I should know. (modelshop supervisor on MOON)
futureboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
futureboy
Chef

AWWWW its so cute!!! I want one! (even though Im making two studio scale DUPLICATES - not replicas, at the moment) I want one of these. Nice job, just needs the heavy weathering for me (which I had the pleasure of weathering in the film, Bill wanted me to do all the rovers including the big one - for continuity! and the harvester and a lot of the moonbase).
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
The large rover (with two extra payloads) was 6th scale and the three small rovers were 12th scale. I should know. (modelshop supervisor on MOON)
Oh well, it all depends on the size and scale of the Dr. Who figure, doesn't it?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
Oh well, it all depends on the size and scale of the Dr. Who figure, doesn't it?
the scales are definitely 12th and 6th. Harvester was 12th. Sarang base 12th. The doctor who characters were the NEAREST we could get to serve our purposes.. We didn't make the models to fit the figures. I had to chop his legs off, to get him in the cab anyway.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #25
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I certainly believe so after your posts now. Before knowing these facts, I was of course calculating the scale by the "help" of the Dr. Who figure which got me obviously to 1/14.
But that would be an odd scale anyway. Sorry, my fault. :-)

You guys did a marvelous job!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Seconded.....

....you certainly did a marvellous job - the vehicles were a truly integral part of the "Moon" environment, neither diverting attention from the other parts of the story, nor being anything less than perfect imaginings of a possible future. If I ever get round to finishing my Eagle, an LI Rover is the next scratchbuild I will tackle.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
....you certainly did a marvellous job - the vehicles were a truly integral part of the "Moon" environment, neither diverting attention from the other parts of the story, nor being anything less than perfect imaginings of a possible future. If I ever get round to finishing my Eagle, an LI Rover is the next scratchbuild I will tackle.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Thanks Patrick. I'm amazed they came out as good as they did as there was so little time to make them. Im building 2 studio scale replicas (well, duplicates really - same materials, same techniques, same tools by the same man) and I'm conscious of the fact that I have more time and they may end up looking better than the originals if I'm not careful. If I'm selling them on, then I need to speed up to make it viable, then it will have that tatty steve howarth look. :-)
Old 13-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
futureboy
Chef

Soooo cute! I want one! Scott who sells them? How much was it? Nice job btw...maybe a bit more moondust. Glad you painted the inside of the wheels grey - I ran out of time! Making 2 duplicates at studio scale as we speak, Same materials, same thicknesses and dimentions, made and painted using the same techniques - by the same guy, so Mine would run into 4 figures if someone wanted to buy them. I'll post photos when theyre finished.(Steve Howarth)
Old 21-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #29
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Well done . Great work on a lovely looking kit of a great design ! Definitely tempted by this kit .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
futureboy
Chef

Default Rover 'A' studio scale progress

Cant Download image( don't know why, any help will be appreciated) so heres my facebook URL. Rover 'A' (as we called it) progress. Two at 12th scale - studio scale. Early days. Wheels from original mould. Same materials. Exact dimensions taken from original recently.

Old 21-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
futureboy
Chef

URL appeared in preview, but has been removed as I posted it?? cant get a grip with this add image system here at all. Help please?
Old 21-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
Transporter
Life Support Officer

To add pics, just click "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachements". Then "Upload file from your Computer". Chose the file on your hard disk and then "Chose File" and then click on the "Upload" button.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Steve,

Sharing Facebook image links is not as straight forward as it could be.

It's actually quite easy to add images rather than linking to them, you need to attach them as follows:

Just below the edit window where you write message texts are the options to add images (you may need to scroll the whole window down a little).

Find the button that says - Manage attachments

A new window will open where you can add one or a number of images. They need to be on your hard drive and will upload a copy to the forum for local hosting. This is by far the easiest way.

Secondly you can upload the images to photo bucket when a direct .img link can be generated once you have them in an album, you can add these links into the body of your text message which is sometimes useful.

Any other questions contact me at admin@eagletransporter.com

Luckily I had the chance to inspect your handy work up close and personal when I visited with Phil Rae, the Rovers are wonderful works of art. If you ever decide to produce one as a kit I would be more than interested.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #34
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post

Luckily I had the chance to inspect your handy work up close and personal when I visited with Phil Rae, the Rovers are wonderful works of art. If you ever decide to produce one as a kit I would be more than interested.
Thanks. The Rovers are unremarkable in modelmaking terms (great design I agree) pretty straightforward with few compound curves. What I'll defend as the arty part - the paintjob, worked well for this film. these Rovers have been working for at least 3 years on the lunar surface and if you've seen how dirty the Apollo astronauts were after only a few hours out there, then these things could be really dirty. Also to be defended is the short time I put together the bulk of these. 3 weeks I think if memory serves. I had help with the wheels and the backs of rover B & C courtesy of Richard St Clair, John Lee and Chris Hayes. But these Replicas are taking much longer....and as a result they should be better quality. I know collectors WILL be at them with a ruler, whereas that didnt happen on stage. Having said that, its hard to tell the small rovers and the larger one apart. Thanks for the tips.
Old 21-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
To add pics, just click "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachements". Then "Upload file from your Computer". Chose the file on your hard disk and then "Chose File" and then click on the "Upload" button.
For some reason, which I am unable to fathom, the file is failing to upload and I get an error message. Something nasty in my pc stopping it nodoubt. I need to sort it coz I'll post lots of juicy pics as I build this if I do.
Two hand built replicas as opposed to kits will place these outside most peoples budget. I'm aiming at top-notch collectors or higher up involved in making Moon, who can afford to pay me what they'll be worth.

Old 21-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
futureboy
Chef

rover prog.jpg ASeems that the firefox add-on NOSCRIPT was interfering...anyway, heres the state of play at the moment...quite a way to go yet it feels like.
Old 21-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Very, very nice, obviously it can't get closer to the originals. Hope you will add a Dr. Who figure driver... ;-)
Old 21-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

The only criticism I have is one decent rock would jam the wheels.

I do agree the filthier and dirty looking the better but it takes a good eye not to overcook it and the balance was kept perfect in that respect. I realise it was more the way they were photographed but they did look to have mass and power and totally built for the purpose.

I liked the whole Sarang environment, Gavin did a great job in the design and the effects team worked magic to realise it on set.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #39
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
The only criticism I have is one decent rock would jam the wheels.

I liked the whole Sarang environment, Gavin did a great job in the design and the effects team worked magic to realise it on set.
Thanks agin guys. I was of course going to add a dr who figure (after drawing on a beard with a felt marker and cutting him in half - had to, to fit him in the cab) I obviously rate Gavins work highly, else I wouldnt make these, but I might have to put these on hold until I find out if he's going to get upset and start a legal fuss. Someones already produced a KIT, so I cant see why it would be a problem.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
futureboy
Chef

Default Sorry Guys...

Ive had to unsubscribe for professional reasons. OH? Ive just unsubscribed to this post and returned to explain it and looked up...and all my posts are still there! I looked to delete them individually, but there doesnt seem to be a button. Can anyone help please? I need to delete them.

Last edited by futureboy; 08-11-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: incomplete.