Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #41
Straker90
Computer Technician

i love classic 70's comedy, makes me regret being born in 85,
Straker90 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #42
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

I agree the reaction to Love My Neighbour, is somewhat overstated, the series and the film have recently become available on DVD and having viewed a couple of episodes and the film. Its only crime was it was not always funny and it was a ITV's steal of Till Death do us Part.

I actually think On the Buses is likley to cause more offense in this day an age with its overt sexismn, but that never seems to get raised.

While on the subject of Till Death do us Part, it should be thrown in to the mix as one the funniest British comedies.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 01:39 AM   #43
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I agree, Till Death... is a great piece of satire, arguably ahead of its time. I own the 1973 script book, which includes some interesting interviews with the cast. Warren Mitchell was horrified to learn that Alf Garnett was viewed as a 'lovable rogue' by some:

I have come to hate the character to the point where I have to swallow hard before I can make him speak. One chap came over to me saying, 'I'm glad you had a go at the Queen and the coloureds'. I told him: 'You stupid so-and-so, I was having a go at you!'

Funny to think that Tony 'Scouse git' Booth became Tony Blair's father-in-law!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote