aggiev
Geological Technician

Stunning!!

Last edited by JD; 18-02-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Redundant quote
aggiev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #42
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

aggiev, do you HAVE to keep quoting entire posts with large numbers of pictures, only to add a couple of words of your own? Can't you at least remove the pictures from the quote?

Moderator add-on: Indeed! Everyone should familiarise themselves with the forum rules against this behaviour! And note that the 'Quote' button is not the only way to answer/add to a thread! The 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of each thread will bring up a text box without a quote.

Last edited by JD; 18-02-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Backing up WS's call!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #43
Jaeger
Waste Technician

The Krestrel is one amazing looking spacecraft. It really fits into the design lineage of the Eagle.
Jaeger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #44
Howard
Deputy Commander

Thanks, Jaeger - that's exactly what I was aiming for.

I hope to build the 1:24 scale version this summer.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #45
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Manoman, that is a sweet looking Eagle. Wonder if that can be done to a Mattel Eagle.
Tristan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #46
_OM_
Waste Technician

...For those of us who couldn't afford a copy of this issue for whatever reason, what *was* the justification behind the design? Where did it fit between the Eagle and the Hawk in purpose and versatility?

...On a side note, that "Exodus" stretched Eagle could have been simplified: stick three passenger pods together, which would have fit the same length.
_OM_ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #47
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
...For those of us who couldn't afford a copy of this issue for whatever reason, what *was* the justification behind the design? Where did it fit between the Eagle and the Hawk in purpose and versatility?

...On a side note, that "Exodus" stretched Eagle could have been simplified: stick three passenger pods together, which would have fit the same length.
Justification? From the start I was simply exercising my imagination - experimenting really, having a bit of fun.
I don't want to reproduce the whole article here - so to cut a long story short, once the design took shape, I wrote a small treatment for a follow-up post Breakaway story / series idea called Phobos Station. I designed a logo / badge (seen in the article) for the CM and was going to build the Kestrel in scale with a 22" Eagle (I even had the engine bells machined by Mike Reader in advance) but due to size I went with the 12" scale (1:96) scale seen here - a study model to help expose the problems I'd no doubt encounter with the larger build.

I've always wanted to design a companion to the Eagle, as its modular design hints at its CM being used on other bodies. Indeed, we see the CM detatching in the series - so I went from there, streamlining, adding more engines, adding the rear deck with a ramp so it could deploy a buggy - so on and so forth.
I really enjoyed myself designing this and I'm around eighty percent happy with the result.
I will get around to the 22" scale build sometime this year, and it will differ slightly from this study model.

I see what you're saying concerning the Exodus design, but in placing three passenger pods together you're wasting a little space, as each pod has a door section either side with the associated gear storage. This design creates egress doors at either end of the pod, once the CM and engine section leave it behind and return to Alpha.

Last edited by Howard; 19-02-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 22-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Keep on exercising your imagination!! Great stuff, can't get enough new great designs. we have great modelers here and many do great recreations of craft we saw on the show, but I love to see the 'what ifs'. Long ago I always thought with the Modular design of the Eagle, many more ad ons and changes were possible, and we would have seen more had there been a year 3. Maybe even the Kestrel.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #49
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post

Rather a harsh post I feel? Howard doesn't need to justify his design or fit it in between the Eagle and the Hawk. If it looks good its cool.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #50
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Rather a harsh post I feel? Howard doesn't need to justify his design or fit it in between the Eagle and the Hawk. If it looks good its cool.
It's certainly a very direct post, but perhaps not intended as a harsh criticism; sometimes the typewritten word (with no facial/body language to go along with a spoken word) comes across bluntly.

It's something to remember when any of us post: how will our words look to those reading them, especially in cases where English is not the reader's primary language?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #51
cljohnston108
Alphan

Excellent work, Howard! As for "justification" of the design, here's my standard reply I've used for many years, whenever the Eagle gets discussed on some forum or another, and people debate how realistic a design it was...

Quote:
I've always considered the Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999 to be among the most realistic of all Sci-Fi spacecraft, perfect for trips between a space station in Earth orbit and a moon base (i.e. in vacuum), but they kinda blew it by allowing it atmospheric flight capability, since it has absolutely zero aerodynamics. (Aero-shell force fields be damned!)

What Gerry Anderson should've done is have a subplot running throughout the series showing the design, construction, testing and refinement of a new trans-atmospheric craft built with parts fabricated by the Eagle maintenance facility, like they did with the Delta Flyer on Voyager, or the Blackbird on nuGalactica.
I think your Kestrel would've fit the bill perfectly!

Last edited by cljohnston108; 07-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.
cljohnston108 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
Howard
Deputy Commander

That's very good of you to say so, cl - many thanks indeed.
It was a lot of work, and perhaps this year I'll get around to building the bigger version...
Old 14-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
Roger3d
Life Support Technician

Hi , i am still looking to get hold of the kestrel image pack , can anyone help ?

cheers
Roger3d is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote