Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
blakeh1
Waste Technician

I think the Revell TIE fighter is actually closer to 1/41 scale. Supposedly from someone who saw it, it should scale with the Revell Tie Advanced easy kit (not the pocket kit version)
Good opportunity for a Darth Vader and wingmen display diorama

Here is a shot of the sprues for the TIE
http://www.dpmv.de/ipunkt/110811_tie...er_revell.html
blakeh1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #42
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I did think that 1/14 scale seemed an odd choice ! Having it in scale with the "Darth" fighter makes a lot more sense and the pics of the kit are very encouraging as Revells Advanced TIE is, ( in my opinion ) a very good kit . I think I'll definately be picking up a couple . ( It's still a bit of a mystery why they've never done one in the pocket scale !) . Oh and thanks for the response blakeh1, I was beginning to think I was talking to myself !

Note to moderator : Would it be possible to change the topic of this thread to " Revell Star Wars kits" or something along those lines , as I'll be adding more reviews/overviews of the line ?

Last edited by thundergod; 20-10-2011 at 08:02 AM.
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #43
blakeh1
Waste Technician

I have the pocket kit for the Tie Advanced as well as the easy kit version. Both are very good. The only things I think are a little lax is no panel lines on the cockpit, and missing the four engines on the back. Panel lines were easy to add, engines a little harder.

I'm really hoping they release a pocket kit version of the regular tie as well that also scales with the pocket version of the Tie Advanced. I don't have the pocket version of the X-Wing so I'm not sure how that compares to the pocket ties davanced scale wise.

Here are the engines I scratched for it, I also added the U shaped piece with the crossbar

and the scribed panel lines, plus some additional little bits of styrene here and there to attempt to match the studio detail

and in bright light to show how the paint color changes

Also here's my finished (for now) pocket speeder. I modified it to have a raised air flap.

As far as painting, I did nothing more than give it a wash, scratch some of the pre-painted orange stripes for damage effect, then dull coated it, and then used pastels to weather. The only thing I repainted was the figures, and I used extra decals from the fine molds 1/72 x-wing pilot's helmet for his helmet.
Someday I will get around to giving it a proper paint job.

Old 21-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #44
blakeh1
Waste Technician

Oh yeah, and thanks for the revelation that the pocket speeder scales with the AT-AT!

I might never have picked it up if I hadn't seen this thread. At this point I prefer it size wise to the De Agostini speeder and will probably get another one to do a Luke's speeder (the one with the grey stripe) in a crashed position in front of the AT-AT, with the one from the post above flying by.

Still have to finish my AT-AT
Old 21-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #45
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

You're right about both the Vader TIE's and yours looks excellent with the added details and paint job . I'll have to upgrade mine in a similar manner . I've just added a wash to bring out the panel detail . The work you've done on the Snowspeeder is outstanding , you need to re-post some pics with something to show the scale of the Speeder , most forum members would be surprised at the detail on such a small kit ! I've just added pastel chalk "snow" to mine , but I'll definately be going back to re-do it after seeing yours .
As for the new TIE , the Revell site(s) refer to it as both 1/53 and 1/65 scale , so your guess is as good as mine . I also can't find any scale quoted for the Vader TIE so I can't even work it out from that ! I haven't actually done any model work for quite a while now , ( work and children seem to take up the majority of my time at the moment ) but these new kits have piqued my interest so I imagine the Star Wars models will be making a re-appearance soon . Now , if Revell surprised us with a Jawa Sandcrawler as well, you could consider me a happy ( part-time) modeller .

P.s , as for your question about the X-Wing , I'm pretty sure it's a much smaller scale ( in my opinion at least 1/144 ) , I posted quite a detailed run-down of both Revell X-Wings a while back :
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=5830

Last edited by thundergod; 21-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Old 24-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #46
blakeh1
Waste Technician

I'll see if I can get some more pictures, I just finished the Revell AT-AT, but my wife ruined our camera by spilling some salad dressing on it! so it may take a little while unless I can find our older "spare" one.

Kids definitely take up time, although my 4 year old daughter actually helped me weather the AT-AT. I gave her a brush and let her dust some pastel on it in various spots. Easy enough to clean off if she got a little heavy handed.

nice to see a shot of all the various x-wings! That forced perspective shot is pretty cool looking.
Old 24-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #47
blakeh1
Waste Technician

Here are some older shots of the Revell Y-Wing and pocket Tie Advanced kit next to a Fine Molds 1-72 Tie. I recently got the Fine Molds Y wing, and it is the exact same size as the Revell one, so assuming the Fine Molds Y-wing is truely 1/72, then so is Revells Y wing. The pocket Tie advanced is a tad bit smaller than the Fine Molds 1/72 tie, but is close enough for display purposes or a diorama, especially if you offset the Fine Mold tie a little further back. (here I have the at the same distance to demonstrate the slight size difference)

Of course the problem is Fine Molds stuff is pricey and hard to find usually at reasonable prices, Revell usually is much more affordable which is why I'm hoping for a pocket kit of the regular tie. They have a tie interceptor pocket kit which is the exact same scale as the pocket tie x1, even uses the same cockpit interior parts aside from the figure.

Last edited by blakeh1; 24-10-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #48
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Well , I've FINALLY got around to working on a diorama for the Revell AT-AT , as well as adding a "Pocket " Snowspeeder . Work on both is incomplete , as I'll be refining the base and painting the Snowspeeder properly , but this is how it looks at the moment .

Old 16-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
blakeh1
Waste Technician

looks fantastic! good job on the modifications to the AT-AT's head
Old 16-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #50
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

It's always been a bit of a "headscratcher" about whether the "Pocket Kit" is scaled to go with the AT-AT and while researching and re-watching the Hoth battle from "Empire" , I got the horrible feeling that it wasn't , as the Speeders ( while flying ) looked a LOT smaller in comparison to the Walker . But , the shots in which Luke's Speeder gets crushed by the Walkers foot , show the Speeder as being larger and indeed , more like the scale of the Revell models ! I've been aware of this issue , but it's the first time I've actually paid attention to the discrepancy . On a related note , I've also dug out my original MPC AT-AT , with the intention of bringing it into line with the larger model and the included Speeders with that model , are indeed comparatively smaller ! ( These are the things that keep me up at night ! )

Old 18-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #51
blakeh1
Waste Technician

It definitely looks more in scale with the foot scene. But for other scenes (especially the one flying through the AT-AT legs it is too big. The biggest problem is they didn't bother to keep scale consistently in the movie models and sets themselves.

other good matches for the Revell At-At is the RetroSF snowspeeder or the DiAgostini (Star Wars vehicle collection die cast series) They are nearly identical in size and shape (back slope of the cockpit is a little different)

I'm happy pairing the pocket kit with the At-At though
Old 14-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #52
B!GBOSS
Alphan

could you post the pics of the clone trooper figs
B!GBOSS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Give me a little time and I'll try and dig them out from the bowels of the "storage area " ( shed ).
Old 14-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #54
mysteronagent
Life Support Technician

Wow fantastic....know did you make the snow?
mysteronagent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #55
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

The basis of the snow is household ready-mixed filler from a "poundshop" .

Old 24-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #56
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!GBOSS View Post
could you post the pics of the clone trooper figs
Here you go . The figures are actually not bad for the scale . On the subject of Clone Trooper figures , I've been told the figures from the Clone Wars "Risk" game are pretty good . I've been keeping my eye open for a set , but no luck so far .