Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default A (New) Doctor For Christmas...

To help get the conversation started, here's the Los Angeles Times' review of this year's Doctor Who Christmas episode, The Time of the Doctor (Agree? Disagree? Discuss!):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2odCcB0Lj
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

I think Moffat disappeared up his own arsehole about 8 episodes ago. Discuss.
Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default We'll miss him terribly.....

Tennant cast a long shadow, indeed, but after the first five minutes of "The Eleventh Hour" I was completely convinced by Matt Smith's Doctor, and we will miss him terribly. Excited at the same time about Peter Capaldi - the show runners could have gone for another twenty-something actor but chose, instead, a seasoned performer with some real screen presence and gravitas.

It's unusual to see the Doctor physically growing old, and this regeneration was less to do with fatal injury or violence, more to do with simply coming to the end of one's life - I liked that very much. Doctor Who has changed under Moffat's tenure and, as with most things, there's good and bad in that - convoluted story lines and "too much going on" versus some stand-out episodes and fantastic characterisation. I enjoyed the 50th anniversary episode as well - a lot of introspection and some really sombre moments ("how many children's lives?"), but the renewed possibility that he get may home to Gallifrey, someday.

Ultimately, the biggest kick I got out of this Christmas Special was my eleven year old son, absolutely beside himself with anticipation at Peter Capaldi's first appearance - plus a huge gasp of amazement when he saw just how old his eleventh doctor had become. For the inner child in all of us, may there always be moments like that, regardless of who plays Who.

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Sorry if this offends anyone but that was one of the worst ever episodes I've ever seen - confusing, loud, meandering, out of character, pointless and once again Matt Smith's Doctor was upstaged by his companions, which seems to be a trait of Moffat's writing - he's more interested in the companions than the Doctor.

...and whats with the obsession with Victoriana Christmases in Dr Who? A completely alien planet and there is a village called Christmas where everyone dresses like an extra from a Victorian historical drama? oh come on please!

I was very pleased that they've gone with an older actor as the Doctor this time, was tired of children being the Doctor

One good thing I can say about it was that Clara wore some very nice mini-skirts!
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

I did not like the episode - looking at Tennant's ending all action and there was a time lord in the room - this lot were only hinted at.
Looked like a greatest hits for Smith and Moffat and did not hold my 6yr old interest a testiment in itself even with an army of Daleks and Cybermen it looked like the good Doctor sat around for 300 years
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Who knows what Steve Moffat has up his sleeves of what he bring to the
new season on 2014 for the Doctor's renewed regeneration.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default ...and A New Sartorial Sense, Too!

Clothes Make The Time Lord: Just had a look at the Doctor's new wardrobe, via BBC website. Hard to tell a lot from just a single photo, but it does have a certain nice dash to it. Let's see what he'll do with it - whenever and wherever, the Doctor is always in fashion!
Old 27-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Very Pertwee I thought, The omens are good.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Life imitating art.....

Agree, the good Doctor looks the part anyway - hope he has adventures that are as snappy. Incidentally, bearing in mind one of Mr Capaldi's previous roles for which he's become (in)famous, my beloved better half has seen somebody wearing a t-shirt bearing Peter's face, beneath which is written

"I'M THE ****ING DOCTOR"

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Agreed, silly pose in the photo but very reminiscent of Pertwee!

Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
Agree, the good Doctor looks the part anyway - hope he has adventures that are as snappy. Incidentally, bearing in mind one of Mr Capaldi's previous roles for which he's become (in)famous, my beloved better half has seen somebody wearing a t-shirt bearing Peter's face, beneath which is written

"I'M THE ****ING DOCTOR"

Kindest regards

Patrick

(You'll have to imagine the cackling; I'm trying to get over a cold!)
Old 28-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Surface agent X20
Communications Officer

I reckon Brian May would make a great Doctor Who
Surface agent X20 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Very dissapointed in the whole thing, to be honest.

I've followed the doctor through thick and thin up to now, from early Pertwee. Have a huge respect for Hartnell, 42 weeks a year he put out new episodes, and the new ones think they're doing well at 13!

However, of the "New" series, I am most dissapointed by the writing. I thought Matt smith's era took a huge leap up when he found Clara. How was this the same woman appearing - and mostly dying - in almost every episode?

The 50th aniversary and the Christmas episode were weak in comparison. I look forward with some trepidation to Capaldi's time as the Doctor. Capaldi is not the 12th doctor, as we have already been told, nor is he the 13th as has previously been stated either. The full run-down as it stands now is:-

1. Willam Hartnell
2. Patrick Troughton
3. Jon Pertwee
4. Tom Baker
5. Peter Davison
6. Colin Baker
7. Sylvester McCoy
8. Paul McGann
9. John Hurt
10. Christopher Eccleston
11. David Tennant
12. David Tennant (Hand Regeneration)
13. Matt Smith.

This means that Smith was the last possible incarnation of the Doctor under standard established Time Lord physiology. However, the Coucil of the Time Lords does have the ability to confer a complete new cycle of regenerations, which is what happened both to the Master in "The Five Doctors" and now the Doctor himself.

The upshot of all this is that Moffat has done the only thing that can possible excuse all the weak writing that has happened since the show returned in 2005. He has re-set the clock and given us all the 50th Birthday present we needed. A way to return to when the show was new.

Capaldi is not the 11th, 12th, or 13th Doctor. He is the first!

True, this does mean he has his work cut out for him, as this will mean he will be compared to Hartnell - and it will take a lot of work for that comparison to go favourably for Capaldi. I wish him all the best, and eagerly await seeing him in action, as I believe he can pull that amount of work off - providing he gets the scripts and support he will need.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor who, matt smith