Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

Default 2001 A Space Odyssey->Space 1999...

When I first saw Space 1999 I was 8 or 9 years old. I had seen the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey enough times to be fascinated by it. And when I watched my first episode of Space 1999 I remember being exhilarated at (what I now know were/are) the production values of the show and wondering "Where is Clavius? Where is the TMA-1 monolith?" I know that the design of Alpha was based on what the "base(es)" in 2001 looked like, but I was so excited to see it and how much all the technical stuff in Space 1999 was so similar to 2001.

To this day I am amazed and gratified at just how much thought and talent went into the creation of Space 1999. My thanks to all those involved and to the folks here who keep the show alive.

Last edited by TwistedPair; 09-04-2014 at 04:13 AM.
TwistedPair is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
tastic1
Geological Technician

The main person to thank is one Brian Johnson the shows VFX supervisor who took all the tricks and techniques of 2001 to Space 1999...
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

Thank you very much!
Old 13-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Giants In Those Days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
The main person to thank is one Brian Johnson the shows VFX supervisor who took all the tricks and techniques of 2001 to Space 1999...
Roger that...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

What's even more impressive is that the FX on 1999 were done for a comparatively tiny budget with time constraints on a weekly basis.

2001 had essentially all the time and money they wanted....if they ran into a problem, kubrick just threw money at it.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #6
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

What's even more impressive is that the FX on 1999 were done for a comparatively tiny budget with time constraints on a weekly basis.

2001 had essentially all the time and money they wanted....if they ran into a problem, Kubrick just threw money at it.
Old 17-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Chas Cheese
Waste Technician

Default Brian Johnson is real reason S 1999 looked so good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post

2001 had essentially all the time and money they wanted....if they ran into a problem, Kubrick just threw money at it.
Damn right!!!
Chas Cheese is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Chas Cheese
Waste Technician

Plus most of the effects still look good while a lot of the costumes, sets and mainly monsters look cheesey now..
Old 21-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #9
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

I remember loving how real every episode was, and now I still see how wonderfully cinematic they are. Top quality design team.
Old 21-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

How on God's green Earth can you call the sets cheesy? It's sounds like you describing year 2 of Space. Every set in year 1 is massive and stunning.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
rbodwell
Alphan

Agreed. I found the Year 1 sets amazing in that they were designed for television. More in line with set work quality found in motion pictures. Alpha costumes were pretty cool as well.
Year 2 a different matter...

I have always considered Space 1999 Year 1 to be close cousin to 2001- perhaps taking place in same universe. Not sure we will see it's corresponding level of design work in television again.
rbodwell is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Cheese View Post
Plus most of the effects still look good while a lot of the costumes, sets and mainly monsters look cheesey now..

The only thing I noticed about that was that they tended to use the same monster heads, hands etc. ...and make 'new' monsters by switching different pieces out.
Seen as individuals, the monsters looked fine; but on repeat viewings you noticed the same head appearing over and over.

I think things would have been very different if they could have done the show with the kind of schedules they have now: a few episodes and then a break for 3-6 months.

Also, I seem to remember that they had their budget cut pretty badly after the pilot; so that explains the need to avoid location shoots and multiple new sets.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 22-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 22-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Wardrobe Space: 1999

It's true that any piece of work, whether for large screen or small, will always be defined partly by its fashions and the overall "look" of the programme or film. What always appealed to me was that Alpha was staffed by scientists, technicians and observers, none of whom would have a choice in what they wore - even Victor had to comply with the regime. Furthermore, out into deep space, Koenig kept that high level of discipline going - perhaps because there was nothing else.

The uniforms were, simply, uniforms - certainly not designed to be flattering and, in some cases, were quite the reverse. After some of the "over-the-top" designs in UFO, this was obviously a decision to reign the whole look back in, and it was the guest stars / villains who took centre-stage. I agree with other comments that we'll not see massive sets like Main Mission again - there's not enough money in programme-making to justify the sheer size of them - and that's why 1999 is such a visual treat.

It owes so very much to 2001 but, in my opinion, also set the bar for many technical aspects of British television, even today. If you're not in the mood to be astounded by the visual magnificence of 2001, the story's not going to keep you on the edge of your seat. I've watched Forbidden Planet more often than 2001, it's still up there as one of my all-time favourites. My last word on 1999 here is that, as Arra's home planet bears down on Alpha, and the crew step backwards away from the Big Screen, it still all comes down to one man in Main Mission, in his pyjamas....

"I believed her Victor! I believed her!"

An unashamed fan,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Chas Cheese
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
How on God's green Earth can you call the sets cheesy? It's sounds like you describing year 2 of Space. Every set in year 1 is massive and stunning.
Your right, I meant season 2..