Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #161
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

The reason 'inaccurate' kits continue to sell is simply they are not inaccurate versions of themselves.

They have their own following. Would I enjoy building an MPC Eagle? Of course I would. Could I improve on the kit with 40 years of modelling experience? Of course, if I wanted to. But it doesn't have to be a super accurate version of the huge models used in the TV series to have an appeal - its appeal is the fact it is exactly what it is.

There is a certain sense in just buying what is available rather than waiting for 40 years for what is not....
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #162
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Seeing as Round2 (as implied by the name) re-issue old kits, where is the accurate 22" model coming from?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #163
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamer View Post
That's the word out there that if sales for the Round2 reissue kits (Eagle, moonbase, mooncar) had sufficient interest, Round2 would come out with a 22" Eagle.

We're all hoping and waiting
Well I would welcome it.

Just also can see the merits of the old kit. Not all that accurate out of the box, but could be built in an hour by a novice/young modeler. Be a fairly nice representation in a weeks work from someone willing to put in the time. Easily rival any diecast offering in the hands of an experienced modeler.

I've seen it all happen before, the 1/72 scale EE Lightning from Airfix was a classic example. For years people moaned about it and then Trumpeter came out with a peach, which everyone then moaned about because it had a couple of little mistakes.

They then spent hours correcting the mistakes, paying out for resin replacement parts etc. I can turn the Airfix kit into a better representation (i.e. re-etch all the panel lines, fix profile problems etc) in a couple of days. Makes me wonder what all the fuss is about

What we had before was cheaper and more versatile and that had a value of its own.

So though I would welcome a more accurate kit, I've really no worries that Round2 re-released the old kit.

Last edited by Odahs; 08-04-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #164
Pudgy
Alphan

Round2 does issue new kits through their various companies such as Polar Lights and Mobius Models.
Pudgy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #165
Pudgy
Alphan

I'm wondering why Round 2 didn't reissue the Hawk? I would think it would have been a better seller than that Alien car thing...
Pudgy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #166
Scorpio46
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
I'm wondering why Round 2 didn't reissue the Hawk? I would think it would have been a better seller than that Alien car thing...
I understand that the moulds can't be found.
Scorpio46 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #167
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
Round2 does issue new kits through their various companies such as Polar Lights and Mobius Models.

Moebius aren't a part of Round 2. They're an entirely separate company.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #168
yorkie
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgy
Round 2 are looking for the Hawk moulds. They hope to be able to announce something at Wonderfest (end of May). See their reply to comment 15 on their website-
http://www.collectormodel.com/round2...ints/#comments

IMHO I think they're more likely to reissue the Hawk than retool or make a new larger Eagle.
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #169
Scorpio46
Life Support Technician

Round 2 are also in the process of producing a brand new 1/32 Shuttle craft from the original series of Star Trek, they have just sent off the kit designs to the Chinese manufactures for it's first test run. It has taken them over a year to get this far, we can expect that the company will make any announcement as to the release date at this years Wonderfest.

So it is not an impossibility for them to produce a new Eagle kit they just need the right incentives.

Last edited by Scorpio46; 10-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Scorpio46 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #170
alphagary13
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Not sure I would go that far WA.

Mobius undertook a huge amount of work to improve and reissue the 4 windowed Seaview kit, then a new set of tools for the 8 windowed version. The large scale Seaview and Flying sub kits are just exquisite and a dream fulfilment for me. I think the market for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Space: 1999 are the same in collectors terms, I have no clue which has the larger populace of fans, I would like to think it was very close in number so the kit companies could look at a new version of the Eagle as a serious project. Star Trek kits of the most obscure ships seem to sell in a never ending stream so the market must be there.

I have to agree about the economic climate but when you look at the sky rocket prices for the PE collectables you have to wonder if the market has actually weakened at all. I would love to hear from the dealers at Wonderfest to see how it went for them. The fact that Round2 bought these old moulds and think that another go around would be profitable also says something.
I think a new detailed eagle kit would do very well. Has any one tried to get the reissue eagle. Its almost sold out. Ive been lucky and got two on ebay. I still remember them being sold by airfix in Woolworths for 2.50. You can get the brass detailing kit for them too so some ones investing in them. A 22" eagle would do very well.
alphagary13 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #171
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Round2 does reissue older kits, but they enhance they with decals (mostly) or a minor retooling (Klingon BoP with Landing Gear, Reliant with corrected saucer...).
When they do produce a new kit, it is very well researched and accurate. For years people had clamored for an accurate TOS Enterprise, when they did it finally last year in 1/350 scale is was as perfect a production kit could be.
If they do create a new 22" Eagle kit I am confident it will be a winner.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #172
MoJoRising
Waste Technician

Just finished an accursed build of the reissue 12" eagle. Came out great. I'd post pix if I could figure out how.
MoJoRising is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #173
MoJoRising
Waste Technician

Just finished an accuratized build of the reissue 12" eagle. Came out great. I'd post pix if I could figure out how.
Old 19-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #174
MoJoRising
Waste Technician

Default Accurized MPC re-issue

Here's my build. Drilled out the cages and added piping to the engine block. Also used the Paragrafix photo etch kit for the landing gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (189.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 19-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #175
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Great build - looks wonderful
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #176
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

This is one way Round 2 could have improved the kit from it's original version. Just a thought not a jab at the original kit.
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #177
EddieL
Computer Technician

Another build of this kit, this time by Colin Omilusik, including a few modifications.

Cheers
Eddie
EddieL is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #178
Nightingale
Alphan

Oops, see next post please.

Last edited by Nightingale; 23-04-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Nightingale is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #179
Nightingale
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoRising View Post
Here's my build. Drilled out the cages and added piping to the engine block. Also used the Paragrafix photo etch kit for the landing gear.
I got a nice chuckle out of your "accursed" comment on the old kit and enthusiastically agree with everyone's hopes for a fresh 22" (it might just be enough to bring me out of model building retirement), but that's still a darn fine build of the old kit.
Nightingale is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote