Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
CR
Science Officer

Ah, spread the joy. I might take you up on that sharing offer, if I have time & decide to have a "bad movie night" every weekend. I don't think I could watch it in heavy doses, episode after episode in one sitting, though!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #22
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Yeah... small doses. I could barely sit through the first 90 minutes -- and the general consensus is that the early episodes are the best. Arg.

You'd have to send them on to someone else after watching, of course.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #23
CR
Science Officer

Oh, obviously. Why suffer alone? No, seriously, a friend of mine and I started that tradition many years ago... if we saw a totally awful film, we just had to make someone else endure it, just so that we weren't alone. We're kind of weird that way.

So, ever see the film Spontaneous Combustion?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
So, ever see the film Spontaneous Combustion?
Oh, my. Once. Years ago. Hubby got it from Blockbuster and inflicted it on me. Now that was a memory left better buried. Two hours out of my life, never to see them again...
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #25
CR
Science Officer

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry for you.

No, really, everyone, I'm not kidding. To give you an idea about how bad that film was, my friend who had me watch it said it made him feel sick... not because it was gory or gross (it tried to be, a little), but because it was just so abysmally bad! Hmm... I wonder if I should use the term friend in quote marks in this instance.

Anyway, the one good part (besides the fact that it ended, eventually) was the ridiculously huge neon cordless phone one of the characters used... the thing was as big as a military field phone from the Viet Nam War era. Ah, early 1980's high-tech gadgets, you gotta love 'em!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #26
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

I recently managed to get my fill of Quark the series as a buddy of mine with all the episodes (taped from HA! TV back in the early 1990s before it merged into Comedy Central) was nice enough to burn me a DVD-R of the show.

God that show was a scream!!! Too bad it didn't last as Buck Henry (creator of Get Smart) had a funny one on his hands and it was almost in the same vein as Galaxy Quest. I think it popped on to network TV too soon though. If it had aired after ST:TMP came out, then they might have had a bigger audience to watch it. Unfortunately today if it aired, being a 30 minute show, 1/3rd of what was shot would be cut to stick in more crappy commercials (and some small bits were trimmed from the HA TV release).

My favorite episode had the crew fighting a duplicate garbage scow from an evil universe. This ship would go around to pick up space baggies, then blow up the cruisers when they dropped their shields to dump garbage. When the crew contacted their evil selves, the plant character Ficus was exactly the same in both universes and just as annoying to the crew members!
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default Starlost

Starlost was written by well-known SF writer Harlan Ellison. Unfortunately, there were disagreements with studio executives, who of course were trying to make things more marketable. Eventually, Ellison gave up in disgust, and refused to have his name associated with the show. That’s why the script credit goes to “Cordwainer Bird”.
ldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #28
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
Starlost was written by well-known SF writer Harlan Ellison. ”.
Yeah, he likes to say that.

Actually, the series concepts came form Ben Bova and Doug Trumbull. Harlan was just hired to write the 'bible', and script the first episode (from someone elses' story, I might add) .

The real issue was that producers had no idea of how to do science fiction (and no educational background for it, either) ...and ignored the people they hired to tell them how to do it.

Thus , the cognitive dissonance in so much of the show: like describing the ark as being bigger 'in character' (what does THAT MEAN) than the earth is in diameter, and the statement that it's on a collision course with a 'solar star' (a sun star? What is that?) that is actually stated as being SMALLER than the ark itself (that's a pretty small star!) !

There was also this weird lack of continuity...things established in one episode would be ignored in later ones. For example, at one point devon was designated admiral in command of the ark, theoretically giving him complete authority over the crew. This was ignored when discussing command access and chain of command later.

There's also the weirdness of somehow finding full trained crew members from time to time (how? The accident was 500 years ago...) who nonetheless don't know where the bridge is or how to find it.

A big issue was that the budget was slashed to half after the pilot...and then slashed again! This meant that the proprietary magicam system that Trumbull intended to use to integrate models with the sets was unavailable, meaning that the composites had to be done with the early '70s chroma key gear, which was severely limited.

Still, had huge potential and the pilot looked great.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #29
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini View Post
One good joke from Quark:.
" Are we having a warm moment sir?"

"yes ficus, we are."

"good: you like them".
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote