Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
tx4
Medical Technician

Default New Fan Fiction, Metaforms Updates

Hello. Well, this one only took me a few starts over the years to finally get it rolling and headed towards completion; but the first part of Bridge Two is now ready for general release. It is one story, as titled, but it has four parts (all final or near final), and I decided to release them part by part.

The following link will be permanent for the whole novel, however, even though only Part 1 is currently posted:
http://www.space1999.net/~metaforms/b2/bridge2.htm

Description (for the entire story):
This story spans the two-month gap between "The Metamorph" (day 342+) and "The Exiles" (day 403). As the recovery from yet another attack begins, and transitions already underway continue, the people of Moonbase Alpha have to make an unexpected welcome to Maya, Daughter of Mentor.

The Alphans have just survived a brutal and deadly attack from her father, and Maya herself has strange and possibly dangerous powers of body and mind. While striken with grief and confusion about the death of her father and her world, she has to deal with a present filled with aliens who are a bewildering mixture of caring, fear, gratitude, anger, and resentment. Some are welcoming; others want nothing to do with her. One security officer is unsure of her, and another man has to wrestle more losses than most, perhaps finding a too-handy target in the alien's daughter.

Alphans have been hit with harsh losses and lessons from their first year among the stars, triggering various ongoing transitions, changes, and plans in response. It is into this already-shifting milieu that Maya lands, while a new threat emerges. The destruction of Psychon has altered the course of Alpha in several ways, one of which brings them towards to an ancient world and a looming danger they think is like one they once survived -- one Maya has difficulty convincing them is potentially fatal this time, setting the unsure alien at odds with some people, and propelling her into a role she had not expected.
To the city under glass,
two halves as whole,
a bridge of power,
long untraveled,
seekers flock,
to flee fury,
find new
space.

I hope it is interesting and enjoyable to read. Comments are welcome. I will post updates here as the other parts are released over the coming weeks.

Also, I have posted some updates to other parts of the Metaforms site, mainly to:
* Fan Fiction page (to reflect partial release of B2); and
* Knowledgebase page (continued progress in building it).
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Thanks for the link.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
tx4
Medical Technician

You're welcome!

Part 2 of Bridge Two is now posted. This, and Part 1 of the story, can be found from the following link:

I hope you enjoy it!

Belated announcement that Part 3 of Bridge Two is now posted, at the same address as before.

Comments, as always, are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 17-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Fozzy
Computer Technician

This is going to take awhile. I did a word count on the three parts and came up with over 1.4 million.
I've been able to read about half of part 1. So far, so good! Keep up the good work here!
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
tx4
Medical Technician

Fozzy,

Thanks for replying, and I'm glad you like it so far.

I certainly won't dispute it is a lengthy story, but... the word count for the first three parts is almost exactly 300,000 words. Plenty, I know, but I think what you cited is the letter count, as the combined HTML file size minus the HTML formatting is somewhat over the 1.4 million you mention.

That said, you did hit on the thing I struggled with most with this story, length and complexity. I first tried starting this one in 1992, after I realized the "missing" episode I expected between "The Metamorph" and "The Exiles" did not exist. I soon had to set the story aside, and again two more tries over the years, to first write some shorter S19 fanfic novels and some short stories, to gain enough experience writing the characters and themes to try B2 for a fourth time, and this time get it written!

I found it complex for four major reasons:
1) The losses and changes between seasons (which I'll cover in Bridge One), are still having major effects after "The Metamorph."
2) An alien who lost everything and now arrives on a base that her own father was just attacking. Not easy, for either side.
3) A looming new threat within the timeframe of this story, which despite forewarning is still a tricky mystery to deal with.
4) That this story is part of a "framework" of stories I started developing in 1994: Bridges and Anchorages. Call it an arc if you want, but while each story can be read on its own, each also has loose and open ends to join to (or potentially create) other stories or development. It turned out that a lot of these developments needed to be "continued" or "introduced" in this story's timeframe!

All of these factors interact and build off each other. It will be my longest, by far -- except for maybe one other story that might approach it. So I hope this one's length doesn't discourage too many potential readers, and I hope you enjoy the rest of it too. The final part should be posted by the end of the month.

I finally made a long-belated repair to the Metaforms website, namely to the Conventions page. I also partially updated it, including with mention of the 2010 convention and a link to its website.

The fourth and final part of Bridge Two is finally posted. The whole fanfic novel can be found from here:

I hope you enjoy it. As always, comments are welcome.

The 300,000 words I cited for the first three parts has now been reduced to roughly 200,000 for the first three parts in the new Abridged version, with a slight reduction to the fourth part as well, for a 27% reduction overall. It is still definitely novel length, but should be a faster read, with less detail, characterization, technical detail about Alpha, etc., so whether one wants the Abridged or Unabridged is in the eye of the reader (or a matter of time), I would imagine. I have both posted, at the usual link, along with another bit of explanation:

As I mentioned earlier, the length of this story is something I struggled with. After () releasing the last of it, a different way of making some cuts, than what I had tried before, occurred to me, and it went surprisingly rapidly. I wish I had figured this out earlier, that I could have released both in parallel, and I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience, but hopefully providing a choice is more beneficial than annoying.

Fortunately, the rest of my currently-planned stories are all shorter, just short stories and novellas except for one novel that still won't be of this length.

The Space: 1999 Knowledgebase at Metaforms is now available in two additional formats. In addition to the original style (where you select an option, and for that option, all entries are displayed in a single large webpage, heavily intra-linked within itself), there are now two new variants:

* A multi-page format where each entry has its own small page. You are first brought to a Table of Contents page that is only the TOC, linking to the various small pages, which link to each other and back to the TOC.

* A hybrid format where all entries are on one main page like the original format, but where most entry titles are a link to a small page dedicated to that entry, and linking to others, and back to the main page.

On some of the small pages, there can be one or more images. Some images can be clicked for a larger version.

Also, I've added more cross-checks that have allowed me to eliminate remaining broken links from within the KB. These should rarely occur within the KB again. (Links to sites outside the KB can still sometimes fail -- that is unavoidable.)

Note: The KB is still in initial development, with plenty more entries to be added and further expansion of many of the existing entries. Additional images will be added over time as well. So if some pages look incomplete or even just a haphazard collection of some "random" details, check back once and awhile.

The revamped introduction page lists the various formats. This is the best place to start (there is a link to this same page from the main page of the Metaforms website), but if you wish, here are a few sample links to particular pages, probably among the more developed pages (some more than others): Episodes,"Breakaway", "Collision Course", "The Metamorph", Eagles, Eagle 1, John Koenig, Helena Russell, Maya, Planets, The Moon, Psychon.

(No new fan fiction yet. One short story is between drafts, and some more stories -- mostly short -- in development.)

"Whose Orders?" is the title of a new fan fiction novella (longer than a short story, but shorter than a novel) I have just finished and uploaded to Metaforms:

About a week after the end of the Exiles incident, and while traveling through a seemingly empty star system, Moonbase Alpha suffers a minor but inexplicable decompression event which damages the Protein Production Unit. Repairs are just beginning when they start detecting potential anomalies at moderate distance from the Moon. They dispatch an Eagle to investigate, only for those anomalies to disappear and new ones appear. This causes confusion and consternation as a seeming wild ghost chase begins in the space around the Moon. This leads to a confrontation between the newest officer and a pilot, and both some growth and setback for the former.

Resource reminders recur for the Alphans, prompting some rationing, and serious consideration of some strange avian stowaways from a prior mission as one potential future way of solving part of that problem. Meanwhile, a new worry appears, one that has snuck up on them and may create fresh problems.

(I hope you enjoy this story! Comments, as always, are welcome.)

Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Fozzy
Computer Technician

I'm still reading on Bridge Two - part 3, but I will read this one as well.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
tx4
Medical Technician

Sorry for the my oversight, Fozzy, but a belated "Thank You!" for the interest in the stories!

Not to drown you or this forum in stories, but I've got another -- though probably the last for a few months. I've got several more in progress but none far along at this point.

See my next note for more info on this and some other updates.

Maybe this isn't news to most, but I've been looking around one of the online music stores, and then a little in another as well, and in those searches I found there are a number of cover songs of S19's theme songs. I had a page on one song I separately found out about years ago, but I have just posted a new page now with a lot more songs listed.

I have started a review of the Powys Media Year Two novelization Omnibus. I have reviews on two other Powys novels as well. All can all be found on one page.

Finally, a belated announcement of new fanfic posted some days ago (04/04). This is another novella, longer than a short story, shorter than a novel, and about the same length as my prior-announced story, actually. This one is named "Dance of the Flammon" -- here's a brief introduction:

Just what happened on the planet Crom II, mentioned so briefly later in the year? What about a science officer still relatively new on the job, being challenged on the science board of which she is the chairperson, when an experiment to try expanding food production has two possible paths? What happens when a rather typical social activity finally returns to Alpha for the first time since Breakaway? Does it bring some people closer together or reveal hidden fault lines?
Old 13-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
tx4
Medical Technician

Default Updated and New Fan Fiction

A couple of fan fiction announcements, actually.

I have updated my 1997 novel, The Transfer (TT), to correct some spelling, grammar, formatting, and a couple brief continuity problems -- all of which have been there for thirteen years. This update precedes a couple of stories based on TT.

One of these is Part 1 of Bridge Four, sequel to TT. This part was finished far earlier than anticipated. There was little reason to wait on releasing it, and several reasons to release this first part. However, B4 will have a very staggered release schedule, of months between each part. So if you are interested in reading the story, it is your choice whether to start sometime soon or wait until all four parts are complete. So far, this one is shaping up to be about midway in length between TT and Bridge Two. Here is information on the whole novel....

The Alphans continue to realize there is far more to recent events than they had known. One Alphan, caught in arguably the strangest phenomenon earlier, now finds herself caught in a new effect while remaining firmly in place, even while she struggles with another difficult dilemma. One Alphan starts to remember bits of his journey of millennia. Another Alphan realizes she has journeyed to a most unexpected place. A long-running plan begins taking shape in pieces.

Various parallel realities struggle.... One set of Alphans have found their Haven but struggle with new shocks and a new dawn -- but not necessarily the one they were expecting.... Another set, having done their best to try averting disaster, are caught by another surprise.... A most unexpected commander is left to deal with some fallout from two unusual collisions.... A commander of nothing who retired from space exploration in frustration, discovers someone unexpected, and that something should be missing....

None are aware that something else is awakening too....

(As always, comments are welcome!)

Last edited by tx4; 13-07-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: missed post title
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
tx4
Medical Technician

Default New Fan Fiction: "Echoes" (Guest Writer)

There is a new release in the Bridges and Anchorages series of fan fiction at my site. It is a new short story -- "Echoes" -- and is by a guest writer. I hope you enjoy the story! As always, comments are welcome, and I would forward them to the author.

(It works out well that I am releasing the story on August 5th: the story is set on the same day, though not the same year :-)

What follows is a short poem, by the author, introducing the story:

Teacher, healer, mother, officer, pilot, leader.
How many possibilities can one person encompass?
Alpha, Psychon, Terra Alpha, Earth.
Can too many possibilities mean the loss of uniqueness?
Alpha, delta, zeta, nu, omicron.
The confluence of multiple realities brings the risk of insanity.
And the promise of hope.
Old 14-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
tx4
Medical Technician

Default Convention Report

It took me two months to finalize the text that was written early on and get some pictures off my camera and adapted, but my convention report on Journey to Where (two months ago) is now posted.

Note: Separate of my report and my site, there is another con report at Dragon's Domain.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
tx4
Medical Technician

Default New Fan Fiction: "The IDCP"

A week or two ago, I posted a new fan fiction short story: "The IDCP"

http://metaforms.space1999.net/fanfic/bna/idcp/idcp.htm
Kelly and Melita have little downtime between some training exercises and crises, but in a few spare moments, enjoy an increasingly-uncommon treat that reminds them of Earth. Then a mystery emerges, one that at first scares the Alphans, but then confuses and intrigues all of them. This Y1-timeframe story is a mix of whimsical and bittersweet, ranging from humorous to serious.
This story is part of the Bridges and Anchorages series of fan fiction, but is written to be standalone as well.

As always, comments, questions, and criticism are welcome.

I may have missed posting mention of other new stories since the last time I posted such an announcement here, but I now list "Most Recent" at the top of the main fan fiction page, for easy reference.

Also note.... I'm not sure if I mentioned this here before, but since early LAST year's reorganization of Space1999.net, where each site got its own subdomain, I also did some reorganization of the structure of Metaforms itself. Anyone with pre-2013 links to stories or other material on Metaforms should may want to update them.