Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
geoffreyvanvugt
Hydroponics Technician

Default Confused about TB2 100 Ton payload.

According to Thunderbirds Wikipedia, Thunderbird 2 has a payload of 100 tons.
The weight of the Recovery Vehicle is 40 tons each. So that is 80 ton total. The mole weighs 30 ton. That is a total of 110 ton. So tell me.. How is it possible that TB2 did carry them all to the rescue zone in episode "Pit of peril" when it has only a payload of 100 tons...
geoffreyvanvugt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

perhaps that is the regular payload and in emergencies there is a larger payload ability.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Because the wikipedia isn't authoritative and who knows where those numbers came from. It was never (as I recall) revealed in an episode so where does this info come from?
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

good point that man
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
geoffreyvanvugt
Hydroponics Technician

Somebody answered my same question on this wiki and he replied that the tonnage specs
of the machine were written in this comic of the Thunderbirds. "Thunderbirds Redan Comic Issue #11". So i guess the specs has nothing to do with the G. Anderson serie of the Thunderbirds.
But if you look at it from this point of view.. The series is taking place in 2065.
So the technology should be ahead of this time..Take the Antonov 225 Mira.
It has a maximum payload of around 250 tons. The plane itself is around 250 feet long (same as TB2). So my guess will be that TB2 could carry in real-life (wish it was real) about 300+ tons sinds it is ahead of it's time... I know their not comparable, but still...
And it's capable of flipping (not lifting) a dish that weighs 500 ton. Parkers 'olliday was the episode.

Last edited by geoffreyvanvugt; 09-06-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

The Antonov 225 has only carried 250 tons (long, UK, Imperial) in military operations. During civil operations its capacity is regarded as somewhat less. The second aircraft rated at a regular 250 ton payload is as far as I know still to be completed. This is a good example of how an aircraft can operate outside of its usual capacity depending on the mission profile.

Back to TB2 at only 10% overweight to carry the payload in question, there doesn't seem to be much in it.

The rating for aircraft payload takes in a lot of factors, not only whether it will get off the ground but also fatigue, engine life, fuel carried, operating speeds etc etc. Going 10% over for one operation might not have been considered a big risk for TB2 in the circumstances.

It's fun though trying to figure these things out and at explain away any apparent contradictions!
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

How much the TB2 Pod could carry is interesting to me. In the first show it had four Elevator Cars stowed which would only fit if the landing platforms could be tilted up so they could nest together. I always thought of the payloads as volume instead of total tonnage, I figure with the antigrav and nuclear propulsion technology that limitation was not that big of an issue.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
geoffreyvanvugt
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
How much the TB2 Pod could carry is interesting to me. In the first show it had four Elevator Cars stowed which would only fit if the landing platforms could be tilted up so they could nest together. I always thought of the payloads as volume instead of total tonnage, I figure with the antigrav and nuclear propulsion technology that limitation was not that big of an issue.
Something like this at bottom left....Pod 3 should have a 2 deck system. And the Elevator cars do have adjustable platforms..
Then if you look at the size of an Elevator car. I guess it's about 50 feet in length!! No way that 1 Elevator car weighs below 25 ton.
Or maybe the world in 2065 have a new superlightweight alloy??

Last edited by geoffreyvanvugt; 11-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Good point on Pod 3- your image diagram did not post though...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
geoffreyvanvugt
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Good point on Pod 3- your image diagram did not post though...
Here it is.. Bottom left..

Old 12-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Thanks for that image- great summery of the Pods.

I might be wrong, but didn't Pod 3 carry four Elevator Cars in 'Trapped in the Sky"?
Three of them initially deployed, the command and two remotes, but one of the remotes had a malfunction, swerved out of control and crashed into a parked aircraft. A replacement left the Pod after that and joined the other two for the final rescue...
Old 12-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
geoffreyvanvugt
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Thanks for that image- great summery of the Pods.

I might be wrong, but didn't Pod 3 carry four Elevator Cars in 'Trapped in the Sky"?
Three of them initially deployed, the command and two remotes, but one of the remotes had a malfunction, swerved out of control and crashed into a parked aircraft. A replacement left the Pod after that and joined the other two for the final rescue...
Yep.. There were four Elevator cars in "Trapped in the sky". One master and three remote's.