Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Anonymouse
Alphan

Default SHADO Interceptor model - what scale was it?

Hi, guys! I'm currently immersed in UFO fanfic, set in 2021 after Ed Straker has retired and SHADO has gone from strength to strength after finally capturing a UFO and retro-engineering it, plus Alien nanotech. They've built an Interceptor Carrier, with which to invest the Alien homeworld (I've theorised that the B142 probe might well have photographed the local starfield, so SHADO could use that to obtain a star fix and determine where the Homeworld is). Purely for the hell of it, I've decided to realise the Carrier as a model.

Here's the thing: I need to know what scale the original larger Interceptor models were, as well as their exact size, so I can scale tiny little Interceptors to the Carrier and figure out the size of the launch tubes. My Commander, Kelly McAllister, has a habit of drawing on SF for inspiration, and he's borrowed heavily from the Galactica - or even the Pegasus, as the Carrier will have nanotech foundries with which new Interceptors can be built to replace those lost in combat, even during combat, as it can be done in 20 minutes or less with prefab parts. I envisaged the Carrier as being a kilometre in length, built by nanotech; the model will be either 1 metre long (therefore 1/1000 scale) or, if I can do it (and, ooh, I so want to do it!), 1.6 metres (1/625 scale).

I think the Interceptors were 1/24 scale, which would make a 'real' Interceptor about 37 feet long (surprisingly small) - but is this correct? If I knew how large the pilot figure was, I could calculate it. 'Man is the measure of all things', as they say, and nowhere is this more true than in scale model building when you include pilot figures.

Is Phil Rae on here? I know he has an original studio model, lucky beggar.
Anonymouse is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

I believe he is. I would be interested to know the measurements and scale of the large studio scale UFO Interceptor too.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
hwels
Communications Officer

Phil is a member here, but not often online I believe.
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
bobs56
Medical Technician

Have a look here.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ad.php?t=17562
bobs56 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Anonymouse
Alphan

Oh, cheers, dude!

Old 12-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Anonymouse
Alphan

Default Okay, new problem...

Based on the photo showing the Interceptor and tape measure lengthways, I've worked out that with missile attached it's 27" long.

One photo shows the Interceptor model to be 7" wide, and the pilot figure appears to be 1/4 of this, i.e. 1 3/4". All well and good so far.

But this means the model can't possibly be 1/24. Depending on exact pose when sitting and the overall bulk of the pilot, this implies a width of between 21 and 31 1/2". Now Jim Regan The Cat With Ten Lives was a smallish, wiry bloke, but Lew Waterman (Computer Affair) seemed about 6' and not slightly built with it.

Thus depending on the actual size of the pilot, the Interceptor's scale could be as large as 1/12! Either that, or Derek Meddings made a mistake in scale -

Ow! Ow! Ow! Stop hitting me! I know I'm speaking blasphemy, I only mention it as a possibility!

However, that's assuming the pilot's as slim as I am, i.e. 21" across the arms when seated, although wearing my biker jacket it's more like 24". Depending on pose and the pilot's build, up to 31.5" is conceivable, and that would imply 1/18 scale (making the Interceptor 40.5' long including missile). But 1/24 scale would mean the pilot was 42" across the shoulders - no way.

Or have I figured wrong somewhere?
Old 13-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Phil did state where the figure came from (Tiger Joe tank) on this thread I just remembered, I think he also states the scale is 1/18, take a look:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ad.php?t=15589

I think it is saying the large Sky 1 and the Interceptor were both 1/18th scale?
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
RCnut
Communications Officer

Sky1 and larger Interceptor and the Shadomobiles had Tiger Joe Gunners as Pilots/drivers, The head on the tiger Joe Gunner is almost if not the same as the Seaquest DSV figure. So anything from 1/14th upwards. Not sure about 1/18. think about all the die cast cars out there, all 1/18th scale.
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote