Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #61
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician
 
Odahs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Hmm...I don't remember ever seeing the captain scarlet models for sale. Just some thunderbirds. We had the dinky toys, but I didn't know where they came from ...never saw captain scarlet broadcast here.

I did notice a lot of ' extra' stuff in the annuals ...I did kinda wonder whether they had any guidance, or just made it up.

Also, I think now when our kiwi cousin wrote 'serious', he was trying to mean 'in regular service' ...
I was reading the UFO annual the other night and it suggested the UFO Mobiles were amphibious, which was never in the show. The annual gave their speed on land and in water. Could explain that funny wheel like thing and all that detailing at the back, might have been the water propulsion system.

It's intriguing whether it was creative writers filling in explanations for what they saw in the shows, or if it was all established before the models were even ever made though.

Not sure what our kiwi cousin meant. There is a huge jump though between any technology being taken seriously and being used in regular service. Didn't really get the first post about the Osprey, it all seemed very negative and dismissive to me from the outset.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #62
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odahs View Post

Not sure what our kiwi cousin meant. There is a huge jump though between any technology being taken seriously and being used in regular service. Didn't really get the first post about the Osprey, it all seemed very negative and dismissive to me from the outset.
Well, I just hope I didn't go too far with funnin the poor fellow. I'm sure the difficulty was just a matter of semantics and idiom. I'm sure there's some lack of exposure to other countries and other cultures there, too: you really have to travel with an open mind to realize that conditions are RADICALLY different in different places.

***

Maybe I'M lucky in a way: since I didn't get to see most of the anderson shows until they came out of dvd, there are still lots that I haven't seen yet. For example , they didn't show the last season of space precinct here except at 1 am, so I didn't see most of them...now I can watch at my leisure.

I'm quite looking forward to FIREBALL XL5.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 27-05-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #63
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 536
Default

I forget the in show name but in the Thunderbirds 2nd episode 'Pit of Peril' there is an interesting VTOL which looks like a helicopter where they removed the rotors and added two jet engines to each side pointing downwards.
It may not be practical, but what really impressed me was that when you saw it on screen you could tell instantly how it worked and why. That visual approach is what really sets the GA vehicles apart- they may have weird wings and propulsion packages strewn about, but when you look at them you can see how they are supposed to work and what all the different parts do. The Fireflash is a good example- passenger cabins with massive windows in the wings, pilots in a pod assembly with the tail, additional engines in the top of the T-Tail and landing gear in folding pods. A fanciful design, but when you look at it you can see the engineering behind the design.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #64
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
I A fanciful design, but when you look at it you can see the engineering behind the design.
Well, yes: the style of 'form follows function' in studio design for miniatures is something heavily associated with GA shows...for some reason, it was like a pervasive inclination that went from one show to the next.

Heck, would these shows have become so popular and so etched in the collective mind had the models looked more like the earlier attempts to make everything look like a streamlined train? The designs look like they do what they are supposed to be: that's what makes them so convincing, you immediately just accept they are what they appear to be.

The vehicle you mentioned, I seem to remember that was the 'helijet' , is a good example. it seems so reasonable, and since it is just a bit forward in the way it works makes it easy to swallow.

Come to think of it, the general feel of workaday believability lets them get away with things that you don't think about until later....like , 'why are there air scoops on that space ship'?

Of course, as you know, this had such a great effect on industrial design in general that you can see echos of Gerry anderson in real vehicles...possibly unconsciously. And of course, they inspired whole generations of designers and model builders for movies and TV. In japan, for example, it used to be traditional to have a 'gerry anderson tribute' episode in every show that featured mecha; and even the ones that didn't you'd often see them snuck into the background (I saw a recent show that had SID slide by in an orbital shot, for example.) I've often seen crowd scenes where you'd see someone in an international rescue uniform directing traffic in the BG., or an airport where you might see the nose of SHADAIR sticking out of a hanger behind the airliners in the foreground.

Anything here look familiar?


Last edited by Ham Salad; 27-05-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #65
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer
 
Crimson Binome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Posts: 1,036
Default

Er - No I don't remember any one in Capt Scarlet wearing glasses ! except for cool sunglasses
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #66
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot
 
TV21Dalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Of course, as you know, this had such a great effect on industrial design in general that you can see echos of Gerry anderson in real vehicles...possibly unconsciously. And of course, they inspired whole generations of designers and model builders for movies and TV. In japan, for example, it used to be traditional to have a 'gerry anderson tribute' episode in every show that featured mecha; and even the ones that didn't you'd often see them snuck into the background (I saw a recent show that had SID slide by in an orbital shot, for example.) I've often seen crowd scenes where you'd see someone in an international rescue uniform directing traffic in the BG., or an airport where you might see the nose of SHADAIR sticking out of a hanger behind the airliners in the foreground.

Anything here look familiar?

I know that in "Gunbuster" they had TB5 in the background. In the "Compiler" comic bad girl Compiler had a version of TB2 that had the engines replaced by the lower parts of TB3, and a shark mouth added for effect. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" TV series opening sequence was inspired by the UFO titles.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #67
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
Er - No I don't remember any one in Capt Scarlet wearing glasses ! except for cool sunglasses
So, there's nothing familiar looking....like the uniforms with the colored vests...with the odd flying hand shaped logo that just might have the letters IR in it?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #68
Ham Salad
Communications Officer
 
Ham Salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
I know that in "Gunbuster" they had TB5 in the background. In the "Compiler" comic bad girl Compiler had a version of TB2 that had the engines replaced by the lower parts of TB3, and a shark mouth added for effect. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" TV series opening sequence was inspired by the UFO titles.
Urusei yatsura has thunderbirds, UFO, and captin scarlet throughout the animated series and movies.

By the way, did you know Gerry did a japanese TV show called Fireflash?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #69
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer
 
Slate Mcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Merseyside, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,270
Default

. posted in error
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #70
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
Er - No I don't remember any one in Capt Scarlet wearing glasses ! except for cool sunglasses

They did put glasses on the Captain Scarlet puppet when it turned up in "The Secret Service".
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #71
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
So, there's nothing familiar looking....like the uniforms with the colored vests...with the odd flying hand shaped logo that just might have the letters IR in it?
Wasn't there an Japanese Thunderbirds Anime show? IIRC they had the totally different craft, more of them and a huge base to operate from. It was more of an 'In Name Only' show but I think Starlog covered it once.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #72
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician
 
Odahs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Study in Scarlet View Post
They did put glasses on the Captain Scarlet puppet when it turned up in "The Secret Service".
I watched The Secret Service at first to see the links to what was before and what came after, there are plenty. Seeing Captain Scarlet appear was one of the highlights. Can't remember the episode or his role now, but it was definitely a great moment.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com