Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #101
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I'm a bit late seeing Moon but I taped it over Xmas and so far I'm really enjoying it [ I'm about half way through ]. And what happens - I come on here and the guy who did the models/rovers has posted on here. If you're still around futureboy just thought I'd say love the model work in the film. Really superb and I can't help thinking of the Joe 90 explosives truck episode when I look at your moon rovers. Not a bad thing in my books and I bet the same for many people on here. Wish I could afford one of your replicas.

Hope Duncan Jones makes another similar film like Moon and we get to see more of your model work.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #102
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadude View Post
There is only one theater playing this, in Houston. .
Is that ironic, or is it just me?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #103
futureboy
Chef

Default Moon models

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
I'm a bit late seeing Moon but I taped it over Xmas and so far I'm really enjoying it [ I'm about half way through ]. And what happens - I come on here and the guy who did the models/rovers has posted on here. If you're still around futureboy just thought I'd say love the model work in the film. Really superb and I can't help thinking of the Joe 90 explosives truck episode when I look at your moon rovers. Not a bad thing in my books and I bet the same for many people on here. Wish I could afford one of your replicas.

Hope Duncan Jones makes another similar film like Moon and we get to see more of your model work.
Hi Fallingstar, Thanks for the positive feedback, always appreciated. But I cannot take all the credit for the Models on Moon. Although, i did do the lions share of a few. for a more detailed and accurate account of my contribution its best to visit modelminiatures.co.uk where there is an extensive section dedicated to the Models I made for moon. Unfortunately (for fans of the film),as it is my own personal online portfolio, I havnt really gone into detail at all about the rest of the modelmaking teams' efforts.
futureboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #104
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
Hi Fallingstar, Thanks for the positive feedback, always appreciated. But I cannot take all the credit for the Models on Moon. Although, i did do the lions share of a few. for a more detailed and accurate account of my contribution its best to visit modelminiatures.co.uk where there is an extensive section dedicated to the Models I made for moon. Unfortunately (for fans of the film),as it is my own personal online portfolio, I havnt really gone into detail at all about the rest of the modelmaking teams' efforts.

Thanks futureboy. Time for a good look around your site methinks!
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #105
futureboy
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
After watching the vids and reading the links I can't say I'm impressed.
Don't forget, this was EXTREMELY low budget for a sci-fi...only 5,000,000 dollars for the whole movie. That sounds like a lot when you write it out with all the noughts, but thats peanuts. Compare it with something like SUNSHINE, which was approx 50,000,000.
futureboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #106
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I never considered budget when watching the movie, it either works or it doesn't. As Steve has pointed out there are worse movies that cost a lot more, the effects shots were amazingly well done in every sense. They created the immersion experience perfectly. The surface shots in particular created a similar feeling as being lost adrift on a huge ocean with Sarang base a small island refuge. This contrasted against a slightly claustrophobic feeling of the base interior. The design of the base interior was very effective, an excellent match between industrial and living space.

The Rovers are a fantastic example of good design with first class construction and photography. They had function, mass and a sense of power. I loved the addition of the vocals from the "sat nav" describing the landmarks and status.

The budget is incredibly small when you think of all the illusions created to make this movie suspend your belief and tell the story to such a high standard.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #107
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Fan In The Moon....

Ditto, I only saw it at Christmas - then bought the DVD and watched it on repeat. No idea about the size of the budget - like Bernie, I just immersed myself in the story and the perfectly rendered environments, interior and exterior.

There's a thread running elsewhere about the worst Science Fiction films - films with twenty times Moon's budget are loathsome pieces of soulless nonsense. Look what Duncan Jones and his team (and the very wonderful Mr Rockwell) achieved. They told a story which resonates with aspects of modern life today.

Anyway, this is a model-making forum so yes, the Rovers looked fantastic - and if you look at some of the behind the scenes photographs, you'll get a flavour of just how hard these people worked in a very short space of time.
I am the one and only, indeed....some Lunar Industries exec had one twisted sense of humour....

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #108
lunadude
Travel Tube Technician

Default Gerty Model Kit

Steve Howarth has released a 1/6th scale Gerty kit.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1952...erty-from-moon

lunadude is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote