Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

The analogy that springs to mind is attempting to put an egg into earth orbit using a golf club. If one could impart sufficient acceleration to the egg (which of course one couldn't) it would be academic in any case, as the egg is splattered all over the golf course.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #22
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Of course, Space: 1999 is science fiction. And in the opening episode they make a big deal of this explosion being of a new kind of previously unknown magnetic energy, and later episodes make it clear Higher Forces were at work. But man. They must've been working hard.
It must of have been some sort of force previously unknown.

That acted in a mysterious way.

A mysterious unknown force, perhaps.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

They should have just made series 2 of UFO instead (Joke alert!)

Whether or not it was actually possible doesn't really matter though in my mind. Gerry left a whole generation 'space minded' with the series. The fact we are still wondering if breakaway were possible indicates he got us all thinking more than the average person on the street.

Mysterious force, holes in the cheese lined up, as far as I'm concerned on the 9th September 1999 in the Space 1999 universe, breakaway did occur. It's enough for me.

Did anyone else here feel disappointed when 1999 actually came around and not much happened? I know I did.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #24
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

OdahS is right - Gerry gave a generation larger than life images which would last a lifetime. The science part was secondary - the fiction was the driving force and, if it included amazing craft and environments never before seen (Ham) then so much the better.

I'd always assumed that, as the massive explosion and chain reaction grew in ferocity and pace, part of the Moon itself actually became the fuel - the chain reaction consumed moonrock in vast quantities. In this way, once the Moon started moving, it was as though somebody put their foot on the accelerator and pushed the Moon to unbelievable speeds. We never saw the ravaged area of the runaway Moon - I bet there was a massive hole there.

Please accept my apologies for the entire lack of science in the above ramblings - I'm a dreamer, not a physicist. And I was most disappointed that, as the nineties rumbled on, the only reuseable payload-carrying spacecraft was the Shuttle - where were the routine flights to the Moon and back?

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #25
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

I've long held that if the Alphans, in their time-frame, could somehow peep over the sill into ours, they'd be deeply disappointed with us for not having done better.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post

I've long held that if the Alphans, in their time-frame, could somehow peep over the sill into ours, they'd be deeply disappointed with us for not having done better.
Hear hear!

We could do so much...the technology existed to build moonbase alpha for decades. The only reason we don't have it is that so many with vested interest in stopping progress insist on chaining those with wings to the ground.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
accelerate, breakaway, physics