Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #121
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Steady progress again....

The pencilled lines on the fuselage help immeasurably, letting us see the true worth of everything you've achieved so far. I for one would have either chucked the whole project by now or, possibly, settled for something much less accurate and well-thought out. You're going to end up with a vehicle which is unique in every sense, and all the more remarkable for being so. Keep up the good work,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #122
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardster View Post
Okay ... after a year plus of real life beating me up (that bleeping renovation took forever!) which ended up being a "seven days a week / no time for hobby stuff" thrash,
I know what you mean. I've just pretty much had the 7-day-week thing and am only now getting back to normality.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #123
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
I know what you mean. I've just pretty much had the 7-day-week thing and am only now getting back to normality.
Speaking only for myself: I'm not sure how strongly I'd try to make a claim for "normality" ... but your meaning was clear. Heehee! (And thanks, guys!)

Being forced away from the bench sucks! Oughta be laws ag'in it!

Last few days, I've intentionally taken a break from the big airplane ... but by choice. (Big difference!) Work should resume before too long, but I felt it was probably best if I gave the Mark One Mod Zero eyeballs a brief rest, by doing some other stuff for a little bit. (Then I'll be right back to the plane, etc.)

The possible benefit there, to you folks, is that what I've been doing these last few days is that I finally got around to starting to post some stuff I've been meaning to post, "forever," over on a specific web forum for fans of R/C submarines. A few years back, in the first Steampunk Modeller special issue, I had done an article showing my take on a real-life American Civil War boat that, while not being a true submarine, basically wanted badly to be one. I'm having (or reading, mostly; to be accurate) some interesting conversations about the CSS Manassas, with some students of that war and it's hardware. And in an attempt to get some R/C sub guys interested in that "steampunk" vessel -- (and to repay the many kindnesses of mentor, David Merriman) -- I posted some pics and some working drawings for that boat, on Dave's site. I would normally post most things here ... but in that one case, I owed Dave!

Anyway, if anyone's bored with the pace of this sucker, here's a diversion:

http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...-Steam-Atragon

... and here's another:

http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...by-Ward-Shrake)

... but keep in mind, that's all stuff for something I finished up, years ago; so it won't take up too much more of my time. Then ... back to big wet planes!
Wardster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #124
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
The pencilled lines on the fuselage help immeasurably, letting us see the true worth of everything you've achieved so far. I for one would have either chucked the whole project by now or, possibly, settled for something much less accurate and well-thought out. You're going to end up with a vehicle which is unique in every sense, and all the more remarkable for being so. Keep up the good work,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Thanks much for that!

I think part of what I've been trying to do, for the last few years, was to sort of work out a methodology (or two, or sixteen, or ...) for doing certain specific tasks that, if I end up analyzing / building other replicas, I'd likely be doing, over and over. Documenting the process seems to be going over well, as far as the audience's reception of what I'm posting here ... but I'm also getting some specific benefit out of several things ... not least of which is if I suddenly do some task in a more efficient or otherwise "better" way, writing it down helps a lot! My memory is good enough to remember where I wrote down some thing or other that I did ... but not always good enough to recall exactly what that thing was! So, in a sense, a process like this one, for me, is a way to see if I can find better ways to do things ... and not forget them!

Being able to share what worked, and what could have been better, has its own motivation for me. Guess I'm just wired that way. Many of us here are!

As far as time taken: I don't know what it is about deadlines, or "being on stage" (as it were) via things like publicly posting a build's progress, but the extra pressure seems to help me to "focus" in ways that maybe I wouldn't, otherwise. Haven't yet fully figured that one out, but it seems to be true for me. Certain tools I might have avoided making, if it wasn't for posting stuff...

I guess what I'm saying is that while models like this one are important to me, just in terms of having the model itself when the project's done, I'm far more motivated to be building a set of skills I can use; and use again; and use again. I think, in a sense, that I've always wanted to "do what the big kids do" ... and if I can figure out ways to do it a lot cheaper, that's Extra Points Mode, for me. On the other hand, I'm also conscious of how much time this one's taking! The dates on the earliest postings will, or so I hope, push me onwards -- sorta through embarrassment, in a sense. The idea that I've taken up almost a full year now, and it's still not fully analyzed and built ... yikes! But I guess we all have periods where Real Life keeps us out of the shop for extended periods of time; so I'm trying not to beat myself up much.

Anyway ... I guess I still gotta work on just accepting compliments, instead of always over-analyzing too many things!
Old 31-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #125
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardster View Post
The possible benefit there, to you folks, is that what I've been doing these last few days is that I finally got around to starting to post some stuff I've been meaning to post, "forever," over on a specific web forum for fans of R/C submarines.
You probably know Steve Neill then? He's building an R/C Sub version of Skydiver ATM..
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #126
Wardster
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDix View Post
You probably know Steve Neill then? He's building an R/C Sub version of Skydiver ATM..
I don't actually KNOW him, on a personal level etc., but I do know OF him. And I was aware of his Skydiver build. I presume you're talking about the one that's being written up, over on the SubCommittee web forums? This one, right...?

http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/v...p?f=35&t=12030

I was actually thinking of some guys over on another R/C sub-related set of web forums ... but there's lots of good stuff going on at both places, I'm sure.