Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 AM   #21
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Recieved the Falcon today.

Quality as expected - a very high end 'toy'. One of the missiles was warped in transit but nothing that can't be fixed easily with some boiling water.

Paint and weathering quality is superb for a £50 model, as is the quality of the plastic. A few rough edges, as expected for a sprue-born kit but a few licks with a brush and we're done.

I'll post pics when I can find the time to assemble this

• Three foot long
accurate
Replica

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #22
Northerner
Communications Officer

wow, those are some really impressive models!
Northerner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #23
CR
Science Officer

I love the quality of the new diecasts, and agree that they are reasonably priced.
Having said that...
I hate HATE HATE the fact that society has become so 'instant gratification' happy that plastic kits are, as Barry pointed out, fading away. "Kids don't have patience to build their own kits anymore," people say. Whose fault is that? Stop buying your kids video games and teach them some patience... building a model is a good way to do that! Turn off the tv and give them a book to read. Buy them some paper & pencils and let them explore drawing, by hand, not with a computer. Throw a ball with them, teach them to ride a bike and go on rides with them.

Sigh.

I sound really right now, but more important, I sound really right now. And I'm not even 40...
(snaps out of it)
But hey, they are really nice replicas. I'd buy some if I had space and money. It's nice to see companies producing quality items like this, for a relatively affordable price! I wonder what things'll be like in 30 years?

Last edited by CR; 06-10-2007 at 03:53 AM. Reason: added comment
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #24
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

There will always be people who want to build models of things, there were before plastic kits and there will be when they're gone... remembering that in much of the world no one's even had the opportunity to build a plastic model, but the still make things with what's to hand. CR's right that that western kids at present are given it on a plate and so are lacking the skills, it will be interesting to look again in say 20 years to see what the next phase will be.
I am I right in saying that most of the Diecast and resign "models" around are aimed more at collectors than kids??? Hmmmm
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #25
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I am I right in saying that most of the Diecast and resign "models" around are aimed more at collectors than kids??? Hmmmm
To be sure. But that's part of the problem, too. There's nobody to 'pass the torch' to if children are ignored. Of course, if the kids are unwilling to receive the 'torch,' it's a lost cause anyway.
Well, I'm doing my part. Not only are my children model builders, I often volunteer to give science talks at the local schools, and frequently use models (kits, kitbash & scratchbuilt) to illustrate my points. The children are very receptive to physical models they can look at, and I've had several ask if they can buy the kits locally. Gives me some hope for the hobby of model building! (Not just plastic kits, of course, but model building in general.)

Sorry for the slight deviation from topic... I'm done now!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #26
captainjamie
Communications Officer

I'm with you all the way on that CR, and I'm not 40 yet either.
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #27
shadopilot
Communications Officer

This may have been already mention but just punch in "Ultimate Soldier 1/18" in an Ebay search and all the planes will come up. The tanks and other vehicles are also nicely done.
A search for 1/16 tank will bring up some very cool R/C tanks. I currently have 2 Tigers, a U.S. M26 Pershing, a Russian T-34, a German Panzer III and a German Leopard 2A5 tank all in 1/16 scale.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #28
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I saw some of these today at one of our hobby shops and they are very impressive. Sadly the larger ones were over priced (perhaps) at $225 AU, the the WWII were spot on at $150. I love the Mustang and the Zero they had in the shop. What was really cool was that the Hornet they sell comes with Australian air force markings. (Perhaps they set things up for wherever the planes are sent to. I don't know.) There were a couple of the tanks as well. I love the Tiger 1 but I'd have to look at the Panther more closely. I think I'd rip the mechanics out and build interiors (but that's me) If I was going to get one to play with I'd be looking at one of those all metal numbers we were discussing on the other thread (probably go for a Mobile first though)..... says he who should perhaps go for a new car or washing machine first
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #29
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Thought I'd post pics of my Corsair:

Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #30
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Thats nice! Great detail. Remember the TV show with Corsairs "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" ?
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #31
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Yes I certainly do, thats why I bought this plane. Loved the show, loved the plane. I'd get the Zero but its not in the Baa Baa colours... white and black. When it come sout on DVD Im getting that to have a trip back in time. Bit like 1999 First season great, 2nd season Black Sheep Squadron I never saw,,, I wonder how different each season is from each other?
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote