SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I'd always imagined Koenig, either with his command wrested from him, or suffering from severe depression (and who could blame him?) stalking the empty halls of Main Mission, spending more and more time up there.....

I've noted before, if you watch "Death's Other Dominion" and Koenig's reaction to the Alphans' readiness to throw in their lot with Cabot's survivors - is it truly their welfare he's concerned about, or does he see his command being challenged, possibly to disappear forever?

An intelligently written script, by somebody who understands writing for television, would know where to put in speech instead of show-and-tell (the famous Roddenberry quote about "you never see what Spock can see on his readout, but rather he TELLS you what he can see" would ring true here). There's plenty of intelligent folk who could thrash out a workable story - and there's lots of people who'd volunteer to be extras!!

Kindest regards

Patrick
That idea already runs through a lot of episodes, so I'm pretty sure it would work.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #42
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I'd always imagined Koenig, either with his command wrested from him, or suffering from severe depression (and who could blame him?) stalking the empty halls of Main Mission, spending more and more time up there.....

I've noted before, if you watch "Death's Other Dominion" and Koenig's reaction to the Alphans' readiness to throw in their lot with Cabot's survivors - is it truly their welfare he's concerned about, or does he see his command being challenged, possibly to disappear forever?

An intelligently written script, by somebody who understands writing for television, would know where to put in speech instead of show-and-tell (the famous Roddenberry quote about "you never see what Spock can see on his readout, but rather he TELLS you what he can see" would ring true here). There's plenty of intelligent folk who could thrash out a workable story - and there's lots of people who'd volunteer to be extras!!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Actually, Grey's Anatomy Season Six uses this exact same premise as a story arc. Basically, (hopefully without too many spoilers) Chief Webber has reverted back to suffering from depression and alcoholism because of the way things panned out at the end of Season Five. The Hospital Board want to replace Webber with Derek Shepherd as Chief of Surgery. (Indeed, that bald guy from The X Files plays a similarly Machiavellian role in Grey's Anatomy and is a key player in getting Webber fired.)

However, because of Shepherd's lack of experience (and general smarmy-ness) Shepherd's tenure leads to tragic consequences which have a knock on effect right the way up to Seasons Nine and Ten (i.e. the shooting, the plane crash, the hostile take-over of the hospital and Dr Yang's mental stability.)
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #43
f1steph
Waste Technician

Well I found something very interresting last week on this topic..... If you look at the Space Opera crew, you'll recongnize Martin Bowers (heck that's fantastic) It's a 60 minutes sequel called Moonbase Alpha Legacy. Can't wait to see this. Anyhow, here's the link

http://www.spaceoperasociety.org/#!legacy/c8z9

Steph
f1steph is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #44
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1steph View Post
Well I found something very interresting last week on this topic..... If you look at the Space Opera crew, you'll recongnize Martin Bowers (heck that's fantastic) It's a 60 minutes sequel called Moonbase Alpha Legacy. Can't wait to see this. Anyhow, here's the link

http://www.spaceoperasociety.org/#!legacy/c8z9

Steph
Yeah, that's been posted...no updates for months. I don't think they have the rights, it's just talk.

Mind you, it's not that it isn't a good idea, although their apparent story has flaws....it's just that having a good idea and some good people doesn't make TV shows happen: you have to have a deal.
A good example of this sort of thing is Richard Hatch, and his sequel to Battlestar Galactica: he had some good people, and a great idea...but look at what actually ended up getting made.

Doing what they claim they want to do would take money, AND a licensing deal...and I don't beleive they have either.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 30-08-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #45
f1steph
Waste Technician

If they claim that they are a non-profit group making a fan film, why would they need rights from Carlton? Do you guys know if Star Trek Continues, the fan made episodes did actually get the rights from Paramount suits?
Yes indeed, they will need money especially for everything that will be non-CGI. If you read who they are, the guys that are doing the CGI's are paid but from donors. Anywho, I surely will give them a chance. As for story flaws, could it be worst then S:99 Season 2? I guess not.

Steph

Old 31-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #46
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
If they claim that they are a non-profit group making a fan film, why would they need rights from Carlton?
That's the issue: they claim to be a non-fan film, commercial concern.

Quote:

Do you guys know if Star Trek Continues, the fan made episodes did actually get the rights from Paramount suits?
Well now (as avon woudl say), that situation is different: paramount gave a limited release of copyright to people making star trek fan films; interestingly, so did lucasfilm for STAR WARS. They have to be non-profit, as a requirement. They also cannot sell their film, or claim copyright on it.

Quote:
Yes indeed, they will need money especially for everything that will be non-CGI. If you read who they are, the guys that are doing the CGI's are paid but from donors. Anywho, I surely will give them a chance. As for story flaws, could it be worst then S:99 Season 2? I guess not.

Steph
Yeah, what's going to happen if they don't get a release is they are going to get a C&D, if they have not got one already...

Last edited by Ham Salad; 31-08-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 31-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #47
f1steph
Waste Technician

Ah now I see the Catch 22. So the only thing were gonna see from them for awhile are still pictures from their work. That's too bad...

Did you guys see this sad, very sad video on Youtube about S:99 called Space 1999 - Memoriam..... there's hardly nobody left that were on that show. Makes you realize big time that that we humans are here not for long on this big blue ball...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsbfwh0RPjg

Steph
Old 31-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #48
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Ah now I see the Catch 22. So the only thing were gonna see from them for awhile are still pictures from their work. That's too bad...

Did you guys see this sad, very sad video on Youtube about S:99 called Space 1999 - Memoriam..... there's hardly nobody left that were on that show. Makes you realize big time that that we humans are here not for long on this big blue ball...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsbfwh0RPjg

Steph

I thought Barry Morse was still alive...I thought I saw recent footage of him, he looked great.

I think somebody even corrected me on that, because I assumed he was dead because he was old looking way back in '74.....
Old 05-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #49
reticulan5
Waste Technician

If anyone is interested in making a UFO/Space 1999 hybrid and lives in Australia. I own a fully equipped video production business. (All camera, lighting,sound,crane, tracking,dollies,generators etc). Shoot mostly corp and music videos. But am a great Gerry anderson fan, and have dreamed of shooting a fan film for conventions and to be involved with other like minded. Have a studio scale 20 inch Mobile from Studio 2,have 2 1/48 resin Interceptors. A dinky for backround distance.
Still waiting on a 10 inch UFO from Bernie Walsh. (Eagles, Hawks and interceptors battle UFO's). Hope to construct a domed Moonbase miniature that's twice the size of Shado's but has capability of launching Eagles/Hawks. Set mid way in Gerry Anderson universe of UFO/1999. Please check me out and see links to my page. I am Rick Idak. I have a Star Now web profile and I have shot several horror and sci fi films here in Australia.
All fans welcome on project and help with miniatures etc would be wonderful.
All corespondences answered. rickidaksgrips@gmail.com
reticulan5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #50
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Hey folks. It's been a while. i was just going to say there's already been a space:1999 UFO hybrid...but it was a parody, since we practaiclly had no budget. It was called UFO:1999 and it's follow-up, which is unlikely at this point to be completed, UFO:2099. Both series are on Youtube.

But, despite the comedy, there are cataully some serious thouhgts that went into the story, sucha s how to launch a Hawk from Alpha. I just want to encourage all of you wanting to do your own films to go out there and do them! We need more Space:1999 and/or UFO fan films!

My take on doing a serious series is to create your own niche in the universe of your choice, with your own characters and adventures. No matter how good the actor, trying to play a Captain Kirk, for example, will always invite comparisons.

The story I'd most likely do would be beyond year 2 and before Message. Later on Alpha builds probeships with advanced tech they have gleaned from the alien races they have encountered. Off they go and the sky is the limit story wise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0036FX (Modified).jpg (99.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9400c.jpg (196.8 KB, 11 views)
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #51
reticulan5
Waste Technician

Some very nice shots there Tim. That's the sort of thing I am after. Although
I have tried in vain to produce or have investors to finance a science fiction movie here in Oz. I have been unsuccessful. The best I did was to shoot Soul To Keep, Lost The Black Earth, and Niflheim Blood and Bullets. The last one starred Liam McIntyre before he was cast as the lead in Spartacus.
These days I am more than happy to just shoot as fan films for conventions, Youtube etc. That way many people and fans can enjoy.

I remember Ed Straker in a episode of UFO asking for more funding and the need to have 4 Moonbases more Skydivers. (Basically to increase the size and firepower of Shado). So in my fan film there are 3 Moonbases each twice the size of the TV series. With elements of Space 1999. Moonbase Alpha, Beta, Gamma anyone.

Last edited by reticulan5; 12-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.
reticulan5 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote