Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office > Welcome To Eagletransporter.com

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
asalaw
Waste Technician

Default Hi everybody!

Hi, my name is Aureliano and I'm a Gerry Anderson fan since I was a toddler in the 60s. I watched Stingray back then (I'm told), and GA always seemed to have the most fun shows. (Apart from my other first love, Star Trek: TOS.)

Growing up in the 70s, though, it was UFO and Space: 1999. The Eagle was one of my favorite ships, especially since it's such a plausible lunar transport design.

I built lots of models as a kid, but then RL started and... you know.

I went into the film industry in the 80s and worked in set construction, dressing, props, and spfx, among other things.

Somewhere along the way I became an attorney.

Fast-forward to now. I became a member of the DC area Techshop when it opened in April, I spent months training on the equipment there, and back in October I finally started my first prop in years - an ST: TOS hero phaser replica made exactly like the screen-used prop. Click here to see my build thread on the Replica Props Forum.

But my next project is a 44" Eagle. I've always wanted one, and my 32" Mattel Eagle got lost in the wind somewhere in the 70s. Plus, after putting a hero TOS phaser under my belt, I need a significant challenge to up my game again, and the 44" Eagle 1 is just the ticket. I'm jumping out of my skin to get started!

I'm an effects nerd since boyhood. When I played with my 32" Eagle, I wasn't playing Space: 1999. I was "filming" it with my dad's old Wollensack camera and pretending I was creating special effects.

Yep... I'm a weird one...
asalaw is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
asalaw
Waste Technician

Hehehe...

Yeah, the real challenge is going to be creating the form tooling to turn all those bells.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
asalaw
Waste Technician

I can. As they say in my favorite Pixar movie, Anyone Can Cook.

As you said, the brass work isn't really the hardest part. For me, it's always the work holding. Once that's working, soldering is easy.

The hard part is going to be creating the steel tools to shape the bells. I'm probably going to have to do that on the Tormach, which itself is going to take quite a lot of CAD time, and I haven't built anything in CAD yet, let alone custom tooling. The actual turning is the easy part.

I have two criteria for picking a project:
1: passion for the subject;
2: will it teach me anything new?

One is definitely there, and like phasers, it's a graduate-level course in making. So picking this one's a no-brainer.
Old 28-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
healvis
Communications Officer

Hi Asa,
I saw your phaser thread & you did a nice job. I have one of the old John Long MM kits part built with all metal upgrades from the old A.S.A.P. days.
Good luck with the Eagle.
John.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
asalaw
Waste Technician

Thanks healvis! I'll need it!

Good to see you again!

We learn by screwing up, and I can't even conceive the number of screwups an Eagle affords me the opportunity to make. So I should come out with a Ph.D no matter which way it goes.