SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Default '5 Star 5' - the Movie that Almost Happened

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/designing-5-star-5/

"Sadly many of the productions Gerry Anderson developed never made it to completion. For some the holy grail of these is Five Star Five – a movie that would have been the successor to “Space 1999″.

The best way to describe the film is that it would have been the British “Star Wars”. The story is an epic sci-fi fantasy tale about an ex-soldier turned freighter captain recruited to help protect a planet about to be destroyed by an attacking Zargonian invasion force. The script features a plethora of exciting action sequences which would have looked amazing on the big screen.

Sadly despite 5 Star 5 being so close to actually going into production, we have precious little to show for it bar the script, a poster and a few concept study models, (2 space ships and a gun with little context on what they where designed to be)."
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default A "Five Star Five" Moment...

Hi, Richard: I read your Five Star Five item (and the GA post as well), and bells rang somewhere...the first mention I'd read about 5S5 was long ago - 1979 - and in Starlog magazine, as part of Mr Anderson's Space Report column there. And I remembered some poster art there, too...

With some diligence I found it in Starlog's online archive (got the issue itself around the place, somewhere), and am pleased to post it here for those who might've missed it the first time round. One page of text, plus that poster art. Hope it will add something. Enjoy:

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...e/n49/mode/1up

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...e/n50/mode/1up

(Note: if any issues with these links, pls advise...)
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I too first ran across 5S5 in Starlog as well (and completely forgotten about it until I ran across it again in GA this month.)

It was an interesting project and the existing vehicle designs have that Anderson vibe- a cross between Scarlet and Space Precinct IMO.
Things like this drive home for me the incredible amount of creativity Anderson had- so many shows and movies he brought to the world and even though his ship seemed to have sailed he never stopped trying...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

The original spaceship mock up that gerry commissioned comes up for auction from time to time. Mainly cause it's such a terrible model! The Propstore of London originally sold it for about £500 about 10 years ago. It was built in a rush ( and boy does it show!), to help secure funding for the movie. Nice to own the original item though. You should be able to get images of it on google
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.6 KB, 49 views)
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
ac-60
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
See attached
Ooh! Lego makes better kits...
ac-60 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Glazy
Medical Technician

These prototypes were built by Jon Sorenson as he's pictured in an old Starburst magazine holding 2 models, one which is this one in the photo !
Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default ...And, A "Five Star Five" Question...

Need some help, solving this one...

Looking through my collection of Convention reports (Stateside ones), I came across the 1981 (Atlanta GA; blue cover, Infernal Machine pic) one; and in subsequent lecture-highlights report (white cover; Eagle) came across remarks made by Barry Gray, who (along with Suzanne Roquette) was among that year's guests.

Reading earlier 5S5 entries here on ETF got me to thinking: remembering something said about champagne bottles in the fridge, and that this might have pertained to 5S5. Timing would've been about right.

Here, from that latter report, are Mr Gray's remarks as transcribed (pg 14):

"...As you know, Gerry [Anderson] has been trying hard this last year or two to get something off the ground. About two months ago he phoned me up and he said, 'I got a new series called "Stock - The New Series" ', which I wrote the music for, 'And I think I'm about 95% there in getting it off the ground.' I said, "Jolly-good!" Only about three weeks ago he phoned me again. He said, 'Barry, you can get out the champagne, but don't open it. Stick it in the refrigerator. We are very nearly there.' I haven't heard from him since..."

The transcript also indicates he then asked those around him there if they had heard anything further, which apparently they had not.

Might this have, indeed, pertained to Five Star Five?

Any and all opinions welcome!

(FYI: I don't know whether there exists a link for this report somewhere or other; as noted, above excerpt is from my own hard-copy. But if someone out there does know of one such, pls feel free to post it! )
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote