SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
ac-60
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
If I had that image then I would be happy but I dont. The speckling on my photo is clearly visible. Compare the two images....
My copy doesn't look like yours! My disc looks like the frame grab. Are you using an HDMI cable?
ac-60 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #42
fab1
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-60 View Post
My copy doesn't look like yours! My disc looks like the frame grab. Are you using an HDMI cable?
Yes I am using an HDMI cable, trying to sort out a replacement player. The Panasonic guys meanwhile are not impressed with the quality of the films.
fab1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #43
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Why were they not impressed?

Last edited by Masterspy; 11-09-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #44
fab1
Communications Officer

The films were played on their equipment and its their opinion. They asked if I was going to return the disc as they thought the image quality on screen was appalling (their words). They referred to grain and the overall image quality and how it needed cleaning up. I explained that this was a restored product and the type of original film stock used. That did not cut any ice with them at all. The films were played in several set ups with the same result.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #45
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1 View Post
The films were played on their equipment and its their opinion. They asked if I was going to return the disc as they thought the image quality on screen was appalling (their words). They referred to grain and the overall image quality and how it needed cleaning up. I explained that this was a restored product and the type of original film stock used. That did not cut any ice with them at all. The films were played in several set ups with the same result.
Right. So basically, they know nothing about archive film? A couple of blokes in a shop are not necessarily experts on film transfers.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #46
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Graham,

It looks to me like the signal has become attenuated somehow, check the spaghetti connections, I have had an issue with a HDMI cable in the recent past.

Personally I don't use anything but a PS3 to play BluRay discs, I did buy a dedicated Sony player, in hindsight it was not the best deal I had ever done as it was soooooo slow to complete loading to playing it really annoyed me. It cost more than the PS3 at the time too.

Persevere, there must be an answer.

Wait until Larry finds out we switched to 625 lines resolution
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #47
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

I prefer to use hi dialog euphonium beam transmitter cable it accentuates a perfect ratio of 4.9
No wow or flutter
& pixallation is non existent as it conflabulates the diachrome signal by condensing it.
On a different note
I bought my copy of TBAG/TB6 off ebay 34. Ouch...

Am looking forward to seeing Filmed in Supermarionation, plus the HD episodes on the big screen in Stratford ( my local flea pit )

Heres a link boys & girls something eventy to look forward to this weekend

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/super...ion-weekender/

Last edited by andersonitis; 12-09-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Cannot spell as moron
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #48
fab1
Communications Officer

I bet you suffer with flux using that type of alographic set up. Didnt realise you had got rid of your Marconi set.
We are going to Greenwich to see the episodes, its not the nearest but a nice place to go for the day.
Thanks Bernie a constructive answer at last.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #49
Dave
Communications Officer

Gotta say, that there Filmed in Supermarionation looks fantastic!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #50
Neil Lambess
Alphan

having worked in the cinema industry myself, ild like to point out that Techniscope is a process , that is shot on 35mm film but creates the 2.35 aspect ratio , by using an "in camera" 2.35 frame lens aperture instead of an anamorpic lens .
this process puts TWO seperate images onto ONE frame of 35mm film (in much the same way that half frame still cameras did to double the number of exposures you could take - IE a film roll that had enough film for 24 exposures would let you take 48 with a half frame camera.)
Thunderbirds are go was shot this way on 35mm film because its a lot harder to shoot miniatures with the normal anamorphic lens way of getting a 2.35 aspect ratio. ( an anamorphic lens , due to its focal length and the way it squeezes a widescreen 2.35 image onto each frame of 1.33 aspect ratio 35mm film causes a hell of a lot of distortion when filming models )
Techniscope lets you film your models with normal 35mm lenses , and the same focal lengths that you would shoot a normal 1.33 ratio TV series at, but 50% lower resolution , hence part of the reason theres an increase in film grain .
Simply put , Techniscope has approx 50% of the resolution of a single frame of 35mm film because it fits Two images onto each frame. (and the funny thing is Techniscope still has Twice the resolution of 16mm film . (16mm having approx 1/4 the surface area of a single frame of 35mm ..... dont forget that 35 mm film is not only twice as wide as 16mm , but twice as high as well....)

why does the "shot on 16mm" blu-ray of the Doctor Who story look better than the blu ray of Thunderbirds are go ? its mostly to do with film speed and one been shot as live action and the other as miniatures, miniatures also need to be shot with whats known as "higher speed" (which refers to the films sensitivity to light .... basicly you need way more light to film models than live action ) unfortunatly higher speed also increases film grain !

finally (if youre still here.... check out Star Wars .A New Hope, the live action was shot 35mm anamorphic , but the models were all shot on 65mm vist-vision in order to reduce the grain.......which at the time was VERY expensive.....

ive got the TB are go /TB6 blu-ray myself and i think , its an amazing remaster for a Techniscope film...... looks much better than the DVDs on my 1080 video projector too ! just like watching it as a kid in the cinema
Neil Lambess is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #51
Neil Lambess
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
Why were they not impressed?
probably because they wouldnt have any clue of what Techniscope was,( or film for that matter.....)
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #52
Neil Lambess
Alphan

actually ive just had a thought as to why your image may be bad FAB one.....

are you watching the movie at its correct 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen ? i ask this because theres no black bars on the image taken off your tv set and it looks like you could be using the "zoom " function on the Panasonic to remove that black bars that should be there when viewing 2.35 films on a 1.85 ratio set......
for some of the reasons i explained in the posts above , using zoom on a techniscope shot film would be a disaster .(technically youlld be upscaling the grain )
as i said just a thought
Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #53
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Gotta say, that there Filmed in Supermarionation looks fantastic!
Thank you very much. We've worked hard to make it a worthy tribute to the Supermarionation shows We've just completed the accompanying release This is Supermarionation and that looks great. A chance to see some rare material.

Last edited by Masterspy; 12-09-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #54
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Thank you
I found that very informative
Understood about half of it
The half I did I enjoyed
I have never calibrated my Tv nor knew I could
But as I don't have a very expensive tv (it is a 36 in widescreen)
I will accept that what I see the people who released it will have done the very best to try & give me satisfaction
I use my sons Ps3 to watch blu ray
I only have maybe 3 or 4
But I cannot wait for the filmed In Supermarionation package which I have pre ordered
& thank you Masterspy for giving Anderson fans something else to look forward too in this latter half of this year.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
fab1
Communications Officer

On ebay there is a pre release of TB6 and TB are Go on Blu Ray for 5.00. This is due out in November, any ideas as to what this actually is?

Item 141431048354

Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #56
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

15 postage
Thats his little sneaky
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #57
fab1
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Lambess View Post
actually ive just had a thought as to why your image may be bad FAB one.....

are you watching the movie at its correct 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen ? i ask this because theres no black bars on the image taken off your tv set and it looks like you could be using the "zoom " function on the Panasonic to remove that black bars that should be there when viewing 2.35 films on a 1.85 ratio set......
for some of the reasons i explained in the posts above , using zoom on a techniscope shot film would be a disaster .(technically youlld be upscaling the grain )
as i said just a thought
Like a lot of people I put a disc in and play. I have gone through the settings and a 2.35 ratio isn't available so I chose the 4.3 letterbox and now have the black bars top and bottom. The image has improved dramatically!

A big thank you as this is now enjoyable to watch.
Old 26-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #58
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Now available in Europe! (and a bit cheaper)

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00N3FYHE4/r...5f97aba2c9cbda
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote