Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #361
RCnut
Communications Officer

Well after sitting next to big beastie for 2 days, I got to thinking, I could restore the Graupner jets and make them a bit more durable, Their performance is far superior to the Kehrers that I put in. So here we go again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141111_161128.jpg (213.3 KB, 30 views)
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #362
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

For my Thunderbird 4 model I am looking to make a set of pump jets from scratch so very interested in what results you get Mamas.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #363
RCnut
Communications Officer

Why? The Kehrer jets would be more than up to pushing along a TB4. Unless it a Just becuse I can thing. The ones I am fiddling with are the old graupners, made from crap plastic. All I need to do on them is figure out a way to keep the two halves together without leaks. I have a new one an am considering getting the parts turned up in ali.
Old 15-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #364
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

It's a trick system Mamas, this pair has a diverter to fill or empty the model with water. A WTC unit is not enough to gain the freeboard and raise the model to anything like the waterline seen in the series. To test this I bought a pair of cheap jets from china which give more than enough litres per min to food and empty the model convincingly. This idea was suggested by David Merman, I think it's genius and worth trying to develop up.

At this moment I am hacking the nozzle system from a pair of transmitter stick gimbals, they will sit inside the exhaust tubes and change thrust direction left/right and up/down to aid fast surface and dive hopefully. I want to try to get the model to turn close to it's length like the jet boats do. Obviously it won't perform anything like that underwater but the thrust should be plenty to get somewhat close to moving this very un hydrodynamic shape. Not power efficient when submerged but it will look nice surface running. I want to emulate what you have managed to do and keep the model as seen on screen with no added visable controls. I will update my build thread when I get a chance.

Tell you one thing I have learned about pump jets, there are only two critical components, the first is the impeller housing, the tips of the impeller need to fit precisely as possible within the tube or they quickly become inefficient, secondly the nozzle needs to reduce in diameter compared to the tube diameter of the impeller. The final thrust developed here is vital to gain the maximum thrust. I am wondering if this might be one of the issues you are having with your model. You could try a could of cones of varying hole diameters and a spring balance scale to check the available thrust. The reason you get a variance is due to the equal and opposite reaction of Newton law, if you imagine the differences in diameters are somewhat like a reduction gear.

The last issue I need to look at is the standing column of water between the intake and nozzle, the closest effect is like a turbo lag while the motors brings the pressure up enough to move the water without negative pressure in front of the impeller. In metered tests I saw close to 100 amps being drawn in a spike as I full throttled from a standing start. This is beyond the maximum tolerance of my 20amp ESC. If I keep the intake to nozzle distance short it will reduce this spike considerably but I don't want more intake holes in the model. I have used water garden hose is used to extend this and use existing features of the shape of the model and I'll fit a bigger 100amp water cooled ESC and accept the battery drain.

Still lots to do but I am happy I am going in the right direction, see what you made me do? Society is to blame
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #365
RCnut
Communications Officer

Well after all that I rebuilt mine but they had to be fibreglassed together. So if the impellers get damaged its a pain to sort, Might just stay with the Kehrers for now. As for your doings, good luck, turn the front scoop round whilst under water and full speed ahead. Oh and dont blame me

Old 23-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #366
RCnut
Communications Officer

Hmmmm, I'm building the Land Rover from the UFO episode Sound of Silence, Mine will also be blue and covered in Mud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141219_155439.jpg (225.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20141219_155450.jpg (221.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 23-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #367
Graham N
Life Support Technician

I doubt anyone else has ever thought of building that but looking forward to seeing its progress. Sound of Silence is the best UFO episode bar none!
Graham N is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #368
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Hmmmm, talking of something blue.....
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #369
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

How come no kit manafacturer has made the UFO Jeeps

Plenty of people love em.
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #370
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

As usual Mamas this looks fantastic, it may be a Landrover but the quality looks superb and up to your always incredibly high standard of work. I really wish I had your skills.
Looking forward to seeing the finished item.
Malcolm
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #371
RCnut
Communications Officer

Off out today so took it out and wiped the dust off it, Big smile on my face every time I put this thing together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150304_115811.jpg (235.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #372
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Not surprised, its superb
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #373
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Smiles That Make Us Happy...

No kidding. Marvelous, isn't it, what a bit of dusting can accomplish?
boatshewsd2 is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote