Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
sadsack
Alphan

thanks, dep.
Since the cue seems to be just a loop, the snippets on RING AROUND MOON are fine. I did buy the Season One bluray (which are correct film speed) which look stunning.
Here's a discussion about the cue on FSM:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/po...ID=1&archive=0
sadsack is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #22
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Deeply unsettling.....

I found this music disturbing in the Darians' episode, but even more so when the monster appears in Dragon's Domain. Still find it affecting after all these years, as if I'm returning to a particularly unpleasant childhood dream. The music in Season 1 was truly magnificent, fully orchestral and meaningful, and befitting a show of 1999's vast span.

So often these days film soundtracks are reduced to the same two or three notes repeated over and over (Nolan's Batman film featuring The Joker - two ascending notes over and over - and then, by the same director, Inception with almost the same two notes played in a descending order!)

Anyway, enough of my grumblings - sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #23
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Music Of Note(s)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I found this music disturbing in the Darians' episode, but even more so when the monster appears in Dragon's Domain. Still find it affecting after all these years, as if I'm returning to a particularly unpleasant childhood dream. The music in Season 1 was truly magnificent, fully orchestral and meaningful, and befitting a show of 1999's vast span.

So often these days film soundtracks are reduced to the same two or three notes repeated over and over (Nolan's Batman film featuring The Joker - two ascending notes over and over - and then, by the same director, Inception with almost the same two notes played in a descending order!)

Anyway, enough of my grumblings - sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
Comes down, perhaps, to the story those notes (however many or few) are telling...joyous or somber, or even downright menacing!

We had a number of classical music albums (full orchestra) around the house, back when; loved listening to the likes of Peter and the Wolf, Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite and so on. All those notes, in the hands of someone who knew how to use them, told wonderful stories!

Come Holst's Mars The Bringer Of War (from The Planets), though, fasten your seatbelts - rarely has so vast a range and depth of sheer emotive power been summoned forth by endless driven repetition, layering upon layering, over a single note - as sublimely demonstrated by Y1's Space Brain...

Still in awe...but as you very aptly point out, not everyone can do that well (or at all!)...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

G D F repeated over and over whilst sitting in a BIG RAT works for me
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #25
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post

Ah, but there's a reason for those notes in the Inception soundtrack : a rather clever easter-egg that all comes back to the signal used to wake the characters.

I'll not say more, other than a search on youtube can produce dividends.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #26
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

The creepy organ music appeared four times in 1999. Ring Around The Moon, Mission of The Darians, Dragon's Domain and a fleeting appearance in One Moment of Humanity!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
dep1701
Waste Technician

This cue has finally shown up on the Fanderson "Space:1999 Year One 40th Anniversary" 3 CD release. It's looped and overlayed with sound FX from "Dragon's Domain", "Ring Around The Moon" and "Mission Of The Darians" in different sections. Check the link below and scroll down. It did appear briefly in the 2nd year episode "One Moment Of Humanity" just before the androids begin their plan to drive Koenig into a jealous rage.

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/fansales/fansale.html#CD
dep1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote