Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #161
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

oh dear Lucas? the guy who ruined Indiana Jones? (sooo did not need aliens) or am i thinking of another Lucas?
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #162
Jaffa1978
Alphan

Talking of aspect ratios, Thunderbirds and blu-ray. Do you think we'll see Thunderbirds Are Go and Thunderbird 6 on blu and in the full 2.76:1 aspect ratio.?

Last edited by Jaffa1978; 24-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Jaffa1978 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #163
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Only if the studios think that they will sell
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #164
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

I didn't know this but there is a Japanese release of Thunderbirds on Blu-ray which I have read has not been cropped. Was wondering if anyone knew about this and could confirm this, and also whether a Japanese Blu-ray will play in the UK ...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

I notice there is a UFO one as well and that says "All Regions" ...!
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #165
marcmartin
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post
I didn't know this but there is a Japanese release of Thunderbirds on Blu-ray which I have read has not been cropped. Was wondering if anyone knew about this and could confirm this, and also whether a Japanese Blu-ray will play in the UK ...

Yes, several people own these Japanese Blu-rays. The Thunderbirds one is good, while the UFO one has some problems that should be fixed.
marcmartin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #166
IainD
Waste Technician

Quote:

I bought the Japanese set when I was in Tokyo last year for the Thunderbirds exhibition. The Blu-ray quality is almost too good. You can make out the lemon grater in the TB1 launch bay as clear as day, and sometimes you can see rough patches of Bondo on the models. I guess they had to do a quick repair-and-paint job and didn't have time to sand it down.
IainD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #167
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainD View Post
I bought the Japanese set when I was in Tokyo last year for the Thunderbirds exhibition. The Blu-ray quality is almost too good. You can make out the lemon grater in the TB1 launch bay as clear as day, and sometimes you can see rough patches of Bondo on the models. I guess they had to do a quick repair-and-paint job and didn't have time to sand it down.
Do you know what region the set is please?
Old 24-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #168
IainD
Waste Technician

Quote:
Do you know what region the set is please?
It's region-free, but you're going to have a terrible time finding a copy. It was out-of-stock everywhere in Tokyo except for the exhibition. I don't think anyone has it for sale any more.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #169
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainD View Post
It's region-free, but you're going to have a terrible time finding a copy. It was out-of-stock everywhere in Tokyo except for the exhibition. I don't think anyone has it for sale any more.
Amazon Japan currently have 10 in stock, around 187 ... ridiculous price, but I could afford it right now ... some guy had one on ebay some weeks back, wanted 325 for it ... didn't sell.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #170
IainD
Waste Technician

Quote:
Amazon Japan currently have 10 in stock, around 187 ... ridiculous price, but I could afford it right now ... some guy had one on ebay some weeks back, wanted 325 for it ... didn't sell.
I think 187 is a decent price, I think I paid something north of 30,000 Yen for it, which comes into the same range. Honestly, it's a great set, and there's a lot of documentary material, almost all of it in english. The only thing that's anything near an issue is navigating the menus, but that's not really hard.

Old 15-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #171
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Good News! Uncropped and 4:3 ratio!

AmazonAmazon

Bad news

Region A (US) Locked :/
Old 15-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #172
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

$42 dollars here in the US-
AmazonAmazon
Already have the DVD sets and an upconvert BD player- this new set needs to bring something extraordinary to the table before I can justify buying it.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #173
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

I think this region locking thing for old stuff is entirely inappropriate. They should not be allowed to region lock stuff more than 5 years after its original release date. I thought the original idea was to protect markets when new films are released on disc at different dates in different territories, but I see no justification for use like this. If they think this must force me to by the butchered UK version, they got another think coming.
Old 16-07-2015, 02:49 AM   #174
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Region locking is mostly intended to control distribution of a licensed property - it does not matter how old it is.
I saw today on Amazon (US) some old TV shows I wanted - silly one season things but I liked them. I was happy to see them finally released on DVD, but they are not for my region. Why 'Misfits of Science ' was released only for the German market is beyond me.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #175
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
Region locking is mostly intended to control distribution of a licensed property - it does not matter how old it is.
I saw today on Amazon (US) some old TV shows I wanted - silly one season things but I liked them. I was happy to see them finally released on DVD, but they are not for my region. Why 'Misfits of Science ' was released only for the German market is beyond me.
Well, whatever its reason, i think its pants.

I get some stuff from ScreenArchivesEntertainment, and they have the 1970's UK film Kes on blu-ray - but region A only. Why!!! :rage: