Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Default Are there now 4 Original UFO Studio Miniatures ?

Some while ago an Original UFO Miniature was featured on these very forums.
It was considered an excellent find,as none were thought to have survived.

Now it seems there are 4 doing the rounds.

If you look in detail at the photos,you can appreciate the differences in each original.Any comments.Has anyone seen these up close.Any other photos.

I have included 2 photos of miniature 3 to help discern it as being different from miniature 4.Other photos of Miniature 2 and 4 from different sources would be useful.Miniature2 is in the URL in post No 4.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=160093
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miniature1.jpg (133.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Miniature3.jpg (65.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Miniature3again.jpg (59.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Miniature4.jpg (74.2 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by elder7uk; 26-07-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Can't find URL
elder7uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
ac-60
Medical Technician

One model - different lighting and angels? That would be my take...
ac-60 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-60 View Post
One model - different lighting and angels? That would be my take...
Ordinarily,I might agree,but closer inspection definitely shows that there are differences.

No 1...The inner profile is different to No 3..which it might resemble,however the outer clear shell has a different wire array and obviously discs are missing.I would find it hard to accept that a collector would add something to an original studio prop.
No 2... Is certainly different.Again for the same reasons,plus the securing cap on the top is obviously not the same.I would find it hard to accept that an original studio model would be modified.
The only ones that could be the same are No3...and No 4...In fact I am beginning to think they are the same model,just at different sides,although someone may have altered the lie of the outer red and white wires seen on the Perspex outer canopy.
Old 27-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Wow. Are those really miniatures used in the show? They look much cruder and rougher than other ones I've seen.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

There are apparently 2 UFO miniatures now known to be around.
These photos appear to show the same model in different states, with the same connectors and the crack in evidence. Yes it has been altered with new 'paddles' added.

ps this was a background model/used for the crash sequences, hence not being overly detailed.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
These photos appear to show the same model in different states, with the same connectors and the crack in evidence. Yes it has been altered with new 'paddles' added.

ps this was a background model/used for the crash sequences, hence not being overly detailed.
So Mark are you saying that Miniatures 2 and 4 are the same (which I now think they are),whilst 1 and 3 is the other miniature,having had some work done.
If so then in the middle two photos,the inner skirt (if I can call it that) seems to be riding higher than in the first photo whilst the white and red wires (clearly seen in the middle 2 photos) appear to be missing in first photo.

Just my observation based on the photos.
Here's another photo that seems to support this as well

*Sorry ignore the red circle,as this photo was from ebay selling one of the original paddles*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miniature1a.jpg (10.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by elder7uk; 27-07-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Clarifying the meaning of the red circle
Old 27-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

I believe 1, 2 and 3 are the same miniature in differing states of repair, and 4 is the other one. Both have had most/all of the paddles replaced as they had broken off and were missing.
Old 27-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-2 View Post
I believe 1, 2 and 3 are the same miniature in differing states of repair, and 4 is the other one. Both have had most/all of the paddles replaced as they had broken off and were missing.
Thanks Eagle-2

Yes in terms of the photos,1,2 and 3 above , I understand they could easily be the same miniature,exactly as you have stated.
The crack in the outer transparent dome is perhaps a clue as Mark above indicated.

As for photo 3,I think it is now absolutely certain that it is the same as the link to the URL photo taken at Cosford a year or so ago.

Another view of this particular miniature is attached. You can also appreciate how in this original studio miniature the inner skirt is so much closer to the outer transparent canopy.Much more so than in the other miniature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CosfordModel.jpg (56.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by elder7uk; 27-07-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 28-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #9
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post

Thought that might be the case.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
As for photo 3,I think it is now absolutely certain that it is the same as the link to the URL photo taken at Cosford a year or so ago.
Photo 3 is not the same one as in photo 4. Photo 4 is the one that was at Cosford, and has much longer red/white wires extending along the dome.

Old 30-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-2 View Post
Photo 3 is not the same one as in photo 4. Photo 4 is the one that was at Cosford, and has much longer red/white wires extending along the dome.
Yes Eagle my apologies,I should have said photo 4.

One thing I'd be very interested in,if anyone has seen these models up close.
The coverings for the skirt under the transparent dome.On the cosford model I get the impression it is covered with chrome tape,however on the other miniature it appears to be different.The individual pieces that cover it are too wide to be the chrome tape available when the model was built.

Any ideas what that might be.

Last edited by elder7uk; 30-07-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 30-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
Yes Eagle my apologies,I should have said photo 4.

One thing I'd be very interested in,if anyone has seen these models up close.
The coverings for the skirt under the transparent dome.On the cosford model I get the impression it is covered with chrome tape,however on the other miniature it appears to be different.The individual pieces that cover it are too wide to be the chrome tape available when the model was built.

Any ideas what that might be.
The tape could be this stuff which has been around for years. It's used in some gas installations I believe. Pretty sure I used this tape in the eighties on a zero x nosecone heat shield, so it was maybe around in the sixties & seventies too ?

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...FaISwwodRAcCsw
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
The tape could be this stuff which has been around for years. It's used in some gas installations I believe. Pretty sure I used this tape in the eighties on a zero x nosecone heat shield, so it was maybe around in the sixties & seventies too ?

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...FaISwwodRAcCsw
Appreciate that Slate.

I have never seen that before.It's certainly wider than the Chrome tape that was actually used by Meddings Team in the 60's/70's.

Very possible it's been around for some time as well.One of the miniatures certainly has a wider tape application than ordinary chrome tape.

How difficult was it to model around a rounded shape like the nose cone of Zero X ?