Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
gwent
Computer Technician

Default Space:1999 ultimate fan film on youtube

Have people seen this 1979 fan film on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjJsypbfJ0

It's 100% stop-motion animation and follows the year 2 format. The creator recently added music and sound effects to complete it and shared it on Youtube. It's absolutely phenomenal and I can't imagine the amount of work he put into it. Be sure to check out the "behind-the scenes" video also, which shows some very high-quality photos taken during filming.

Does anybody know how this person can be contacted? He must still own this on film as he did the transfer himself. Sadly, Youtube is crap and the quality is quite poor due to compression and re-encoding. This fan-film deserves far better treatment. Network Video is still working on producing year 2 on blu-ray and it appears it may be late 2015 before they are ready for a release. Is there any way of getting in touch with Network and seeing if they would be interested in contacting this guy and working something out to feature his animation as an extra on the upcoming blu-rays release of year 2? I think this film deserves to be preserved on the blu-rays for all fans to discover. You tube doesn't do it justice. I know it's super 8 but Youtube compression doesn't help things and this would make a killer extra on the blu-ray. I'd imagine the creator would be thrilled to be contacted by Network about this.

The Jaws blu-ray contains a full-length fan-made documentary. After word got out how popular the documentary was, and how well-made it was, Universal contacted him and worked out amn agreement to feature the documentary on the blu-ray. So it could happen if Network is interested. How could we approach this?
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

That is truly remarkable ! Thanks for posting !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default ETF surprises and delights again....

.....because without ETF I doubt if I would ever have seen this. Yet again, I'm aghast at just how much time, effort and love of the subject is evident in this film. Echoes of a lost era - how many of us would contemplate even attempting something as ambitious as this today?

Thanks to Gwent for posting the thread but, most of all, to the two people who made it all those years ago.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
gwent
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
.....because without ETF I doubt if I would ever have seen this.
Exactly. This is why I'm hoping somehow we can get Network interested in picking this up for a blu-ray supplement. I know it's only 8mm but with a good scan it will certainly look better than it does on Youtube, and more importantly, it will be preserved on the blu-ray release for other fans to discover and appreciate. I bet any serious fan of Space:1999 who buys year 2 on blu-ray would love to find this in the supplements. Being that there's no dialog makes it nice and simple too - no subtitles needed - it's just music and sound effects.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

It reminds me of those guys who remade Raiders of the lost ark shot by shot.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
MartyBee
Alphan

Default Remastered film fan

I'm pretty sure that Gwent will be pleased to see the remastered version of that fan film made by french canadians Sylvain Labrosse and Yves Lapointe, from 1979. It is now on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lppROZy5h4A Enjoy!
MartyBee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
slabross
Alphan

Default Space 1999 Ultimate Fan film update

Thank you Patrick, almost 20 days later.

I was a member of this forum and kind of forgot about it... Too much is happening lately.

And, yes, I completed the remastering work a few months ago and just left the files on disk, waiting for I don't know what. It is now again on YouTube for anyone to watch and enjoy.

I also have Making Of material and pictures, but I wonder if this would truly interest people here. Let me know.

Sylvain
slabross is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
slabross
Alphan

Default Space 1999 Ultimate Fan film on a Network Bluray?

I, for one, wouldn't mind at all. What an honour that would be!

Anyone know of a contact over there, or how to reach them?
Old 23-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
thunderboy
Life Support Technician

Great work , It has the feel of Space 1999 exactly right, please show us the extras
thunderboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Nicely done. A lot of work went into that production aside from the stop motion. All the sets, costumes, models.... quite impressive.

And I really appreciate bringing Paul Morrow into Year II.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
mdsf
Alphan

That was great! Bien fait Sylvain!

Space 1999 was actually pretty popular in Quebec and ran for numerous years in syndication (CBC and Radio-Canada).

Cheers!
mdsf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #12
gwent
Computer Technician

Just realized the remastered version was posted on YouTube. Thanks a ton for that!

I would love to see the extras and photos.

Is there any possibility of a high-quality file being shared for us fans? Youtube always adds their own compression which degrades the quality. This short really does deserve to be seen in the best quality possible. I wish I knew how you could get in touch with the guys at network to see if they are interested in adding this to their blu-ray extras of year 2. Does anybody have any contact info?
Old 28-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
gwent
Computer Technician

Just watched the remastered version, and I was very surprised to see how different it was than the previous version that was posted. The music is different, it's substantially longer, there seems to be some shots in the previously posted version that isn't in this remastered version - very, very interesting. So is this remastered version a new cut from all the available footage? Certainly you added in a new music mix. I'd love to know more about how these different versions came to be assembled.

Personally, I don't love the cgi enhancements in the remastered version - that's just a personal preference, but any time I see cgi in a vintage piece it takes me out of it a bit. The cgi additions stand out and personally I don't think they're necessary. Thankfully the cgi was minimal. I did thoroughly enjoy it, and I hope you post more info on this amazing project. It was clearly a labor of love and a blast to watch - and I loved the bits of humor used throughout.

Also, it appears Network may be preparing to release year 2 on blu-ray finally:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

So now may be the last chance to contact Network Video and see if they are interested in including this as a year 2 extra.

Phone: (UK) 01992 657707
shop@networkonair.com

This is only the network sales department, but they may be able to point you in the right direction. You could also try this number:

phone: 01992 657 707

Last edited by gwent; 29-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
slabross
Alphan

Quote:
I really appreciate bringing Paul Morrow into Year II.
Just looking at this Gi-Joe, it was an obvious choice.

Last edited by slabross; 05-12-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
slabross
Alphan

Default Space:1999 ultimate fan film on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwent View Post
Just watched the remastered version, and I was very surprised to see how different it was than the previous version that was posted.
Actually, the original version was edited by Jack Crawford and a few shots were removed.

Quote:
The music is different, it's substantially longer, there seems to be some shots in the previously posted version that isn't in this remastered version - very, very interesting.
Jack did his own audio (sound and music) mix which turned out to be very good, the original Super 8 film being silent. The additional shots are those removed by Jack but I did build a prologue from several shots from our previous episode attempt based on Breakaway. Unfortunately, our skills were not yet accute and we made all the mistakes beginners run into, shots too short, animation too rushy, bad lighting, out of focus camera and even story flow... Long story short, I decided to never show this horror. But, I was able to salvage just enough to create an introduction to L'Enjeu, our second film. This one we are much more proud to show publicly.

Quote:
So is this remastered version a new cut from all the available footage? Certainly you added in a new music mix. I'd love to know more about how these different versions came to be assembled.
A few PDF exist that explain how everything was done (attached).

Quote:
Personally, I don't love the cgi enhancements in the remastered version - that's just a personal preference, but any time I see cgi in a vintage piece it takes me out of it a bit. The cgi additions stand out and personally I don't think they're necessary. Thankfully the cgi was minimal.
Yes, I only wanted to add stars and a few things that we "intended" to include in the film orginally but could not for technical reason or lack of time. I kept the CGI to a strict minimum.

Quote:
I did thoroughly enjoy it, and I hope you post more info on this amazing project. It was clearly a labor of love and a blast to watch - and I loved the bits of humor used throughout.
Hard to remain too serious, it is a Gi-Joe and Barbie film after all...

Quote:
Also, it appears Network may be preparing to release year 2 on blu-ray finally:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

So now may be the last chance to contact Network Video and see if they are interested in including this as a year 2 extra.

Phone: (UK) 01992 657707
shop@networkonair.com

This is only the network sales department, but they may be able to point you in the right direction. You could also try this number:

phone: 01992 657 707
I don't want to jinxed it but... I am in contact with them. Sayin' no more for the moment.

Sylvain
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C1999-L-Enjeu-Backstage.pdf (1.58 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf C1999-L-Enjeu-Steps.pdf (10.13 MB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf MakingOf-Cosmos1999.pdf (817.6 KB, 19 views)

Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #16
slabross
Alphan

Default One of the Extras on the Space:1999 Bluray for season 2

Cosmos 1999, a fan film from 1979. Wonder why I know this?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #17
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabross View Post
Actually, the original version was edited by Jack Crawford and a few shots were removed.

Jack did his own audio (sound and music) mix which turned out to be very good, the original Super 8 film being silent. The additional shots are those removed by Jack but I did build a prologue from several shots from our previous episode attempt based on Breakaway. Unfortunately, our skills were not yet accute and we made all the mistakes beginners run into, shots too short, animation too rushy, bad lighting, out of focus camera and even story flow... Long story short, I decided to never show this horror. But, I was able to salvage just enough to create an introduction to L'Enjeu, our second film. This one we are much more proud to show publicly.

A few PDF exist that explain how everything was done (attached).

Yes, I only wanted to add stars and a few things that we "intended" to include in the film orginally but could not for technical reason or lack of time. I kept the CGI to a strict minimum.

Hard to remain too serious, it is a Gi-Joe and Barbie film after all...

I don't want to jinxed it but... I am in contact with them. Sayin' no more for the moment.

Sylvain
Well, seems it's going to be on the Blu-ray! Congratulations! I have my copy ordered and I'm ready to watch it as soon as it arrives. clap:

[] Music-only tracks on all episodes
[] Unexposed: Behind the Scenes of Series Two - filming The Mark of Archanon
[] Stock Footage Archive: alternate takes and unused shots
[] Production Audio: original source recordings for material from four episodes
[] Cosmos: 1999: a stop-motion fan film from 1979
[] Martin Landau: in-depth interview from 1994
[] Archive Interviews with cast and crew
[] Seed of Destruction: the series two episode re-edited and re-scored as if it were made for series one
[] Outtake: a blooper featured in It'll Be All Right on the Night
[] Trailers and promos: contemporary promotional material for the UK and US
[] Behind the Scenes - Model Shop: footage taken during The AB Chrysalis - with Brian Johnson commentary
[] Clean series two titles
[] Image galleries of rare and previously unseen stills
[] Script and annual PDFs
- See more at: http://networkonair.com/shop/2285-sp....vAKBICrO.dpuf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scifitodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Carolinaframe
Alphan

I enjoyed that.
Carolinaframe is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 03:36 AM   #19
Chris5204
Alphan

That was great work.

Last edited by Chris5204; 26-09-2015 at 03:39 AM. Reason: wrong
Chris5204 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote