Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
dwomby
Geological Technician
 
dwomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 113
Default What is this? An early TB2 design?

I spotted this part way through a Japanese commercial for the new DeAgostini 1/144 TB2. Does anybody know anything about it, please? Is it an early design idea for TB2?

David

dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Jonathan E
Medical Technician
 
Jonathan E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 162
Default

I seem to recall an early drawing of TB2 done by Derek Meddings that looked very like this, except for the colour, then it was dark blue.
Cristof the digital artist that posts on the Fanderson forum and Deviantart has done a CG rendition of it in its blue colour scheme.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,779
Default What's In A Name?...



Seem to recall coming across somewhere, that the series' original title (or concept, at least) was to have been International Rescue; and each vehicle would've taken its name from that (eg, illustration here might be of the would-be Rescue 2).

The title change, from Rescue to Thunderbird(s), came later on in the process...



Can anyone comment on this?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Jonathan E
Medical Technician
 
Jonathan E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 162
Default

This might not be 100% accurate, but I believe the 'Thunderbirds' name, that came later, was the nickname of the squadron that Gerry's brother Lionel served with in the 2nd World War.
Derek Meddings surviving drawing of an early TB3 definitely shows it as Rescue 3.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
dwomby
Geological Technician
 
dwomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
I seem to recall an early drawing of TB2 done by Derek Meddings that looked very like this, except for the colour, then it was dark blue.
Cristof the digital artist that posts on the Fanderson forum and Deviantart has done a CG rendition of it in its blue colour scheme.
Thanks. I'd forgotten Meddings mentions an early blue one in his book. I'll go look at DeviantArt to see what those ones look like. I wonder where Meddings sketch of this version is?


Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post


Seem to recall coming across somewhere, that the series' original title (or concept, at least) was to have been International Rescue; and each vehicle would've taken its name from that (eg, illustration here might be of the would-be Rescue 2).

The title change, from Rescue to Thunderbird(s), came later on in the process...



Can anyone comment on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
This might not be 100% accurate, but I believe the 'Thunderbirds' name, that came later, was the nickname of the squadron that Gerry's brother Lionel served with in the 2nd World War.
Derek Meddings surviving drawing of an early TB3 definitely shows it as Rescue 3.
Yes, the Meddings book (21st Century Visions) has the early TB3 drawing showing it marked as Rescue 3. No early TB2 drawings in the book unfortunately.

David
dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,779
Default

Heard something similar, and thus found this link to be of interest...

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/a-thu...mmand-out-now/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
This might not be 100% accurate, but I believe the 'Thunderbirds' name, that came later, was the nickname of the squadron that Gerry's brother Lionel served with in the 2nd World War.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com