Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
dwomby
Geological Technician

Default What is this? An early TB2 design?

I spotted this part way through a Japanese commercial for the new DeAgostini 1/144 TB2. Does anybody know anything about it, please? Is it an early design idea for TB2?

David

dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

I seem to recall an early drawing of TB2 done by Derek Meddings that looked very like this, except for the colour, then it was dark blue.
Cristof the digital artist that posts on the Fanderson forum and Deviantart has done a CG rendition of it in its blue colour scheme.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default What's In A Name?...

Seem to recall coming across somewhere, that the series' original title (or concept, at least) was to have been International Rescue; and each vehicle would've taken its name from that (eg, illustration here might be of the would-be Rescue 2).

The title change, from Rescue to Thunderbird(s), came later on in the process...

Can anyone comment on this?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

This might not be 100% accurate, but I believe the 'Thunderbirds' name, that came later, was the nickname of the squadron that Gerry's brother Lionel served with in the 2nd World War.
Derek Meddings surviving drawing of an early TB3 definitely shows it as Rescue 3.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
dwomby
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
I seem to recall an early drawing of TB2 done by Derek Meddings that looked very like this, except for the colour, then it was dark blue.
Cristof the digital artist that posts on the Fanderson forum and Deviantart has done a CG rendition of it in its blue colour scheme.
Thanks. I'd forgotten Meddings mentions an early blue one in his book. I'll go look at DeviantArt to see what those ones look like. I wonder where Meddings sketch of this version is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post

Seem to recall coming across somewhere, that the series' original title (or concept, at least) was to have been International Rescue; and each vehicle would've taken its name from that (eg, illustration here might be of the would-be Rescue 2).

The title change, from Rescue to Thunderbird(s), came later on in the process...

Can anyone comment on this?
Quote:
This might not be 100% accurate, but I believe the 'Thunderbirds' name, that came later, was the nickname of the squadron that Gerry's brother Lionel served with in the 2nd World War.
Derek Meddings surviving drawing of an early TB3 definitely shows it as Rescue 3.
Yes, the Meddings book (21st Century Visions) has the early TB3 drawing showing it marked as Rescue 3. No early TB2 drawings in the book unfortunately.

David
dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Heard something similar, and thus found this link to be of interest...

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/a-thu...mmand-out-now/

Quote:
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote