Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
swt.sc74
Alphan

Default Disassembly Advice for Mattel Eagle

Hello all, I'm new and need to get my 5 post count up so I can PM some of you fantastic customizers and modelers.

But what I'm looking for is disassembly advice for the Mattel Eagle. I've recently acquired two that are in pretty decent shape but I want to take them apart to paint and detail them up. I know it's glued and I don't have any experience with breaking down the glue without possible damage and I can't seem to search the forums for that specific info...I'll keep looking for it but if you can tell me how you do it.

Thanks
swt.sc74 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default One!

Happy to lend a hand with your post-count!

Who's next?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
swt.sc74
Alphan

Thanks!
I went to the local hobby store and they suggested to soak it, at first I though he was suggesting that I use a glue to break down the glue...I was confused but he didn't know of anything that would dissolve the ABS Glue.
Old 30-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
msw_1999
Chef

I don't have any direct experience - but some glues can be cracked from low temperature Someone asked about dismantling plastic models on a different forum I think it depends on the glue and as you say ABS glue has probably welded the two pieces of plastic together.
msw_1999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
msw_1999
Chef

Maybe soaking in plastic paint stripper may weaken that weld. (That forum I referenced talks about simple green).

Looking forward to pictures of your purchases as they are currently.
msw_1999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
klee
Medical Technician

From my experience, those joints are almost impossible to get apart cleanly. They used a solvent glue that actually welded the plastic together. Just be careful and take your time. On the one I did many years ago I used a thin razor saw blade and just cut the seams apart when I found out that they could not be taken apart without damage. You lose about .5mm or less of material along the seam but that is better than a ragged crack that runs away from the seam at an angle.

Last edited by klee; 30-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.
klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
swt.sc74
Alphan

I did read that thread this AM, alot of interesting advice but I guess it does seem there are limited options. One of the eagles has a really poor glue job on it and the command module sticks due to that...but I've got an idea to try...they just glued so much in these things.
Old 21-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Big Don Mac
Alphan

I tried cracking one apart. In some spots the glue barely held it and snapped apart easily , in other spots the plastic started to break around the glue joint and I ended up having to just cut it with a razor saw. My advice is to cut it and re-glue it with a good solvent cement . Add tabs cut from sheet styrene to reinforce the joints. They aren't too noticeable after you paint.
Don Mac.
Big Don Mac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #9
Fozzy
Computer Technician

Something I've done in the past is to score several times on both sides with a razor blade or sharp instrument where I want it to release. Put it in the freezer overnight (24 hrs) and normally it snaps clean the next day.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote