Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Default Question about the Eagle 'Lab Pod'

First off I must say I do like the Lab Pod- the only PE Eagle I own was this configuration. It is just refreshing after seeing the standard pod being called everything under the sun but having the exact same exterior (although two had different paint jobs).

My question is mostly- why is this particular design called a Lab Pod?
It has two protrusions with extra maneuvering jets and the doors have been moved out, but that does not give it much usable interior space for anything- most of it seems to be taken up with a hallway to the door and hardware for the jets.

I know this special version was made for a WOW factor to start off season 2, but the reasoning behind the design escapes me. I figured if anybody would know the details of this variant and how it is supposed to work in that universe it would be on this forum.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

That Eagle configuration is also widely known as a Booster Pod and it was actually made for Year 1 but only features in 'The Guardian of Piri'.
As to it being called a Laboratory Pod, i would guess it was because that external view of the Eagle was usually used in conjunction with the Lab Pod set.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

My own view of this pod, was that its interior could be customized in order to meet whatever needs that particular mission required (or might yet occur!)...

Two of my favorite variations were from Last Sunset and All That Glisters ... (both served as models of a sort, for one of my fan-fic stories!)
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Planet3
Forum Supporter

Booster pod or Laboratory pod, it's my favourite pod design. Does anyone have the plans or dimensions of it? I wouldn't mind scratch building it to the 44" Eagle.
Planet3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Thanks!
I don't remember the 'Booster Pod' description but it does make sense.

Did the Lab Pod interior reflect the external extensions (like some sort of decontamination airlock)?

It is my favorite variant also- I do hope Round 2 produces one for their 22" kit...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
Thanks!
I don't remember the 'Booster Pod' description but it does make sense.

Did the Lab Pod interior reflect the external extensions (like some sort of decontamination airlock)?

It is my favorite variant also- I do hope Round 2 produces one for their 22" kit...
I first heard the term Booster Pod on the Space 1999 Catacombs website. Also the lab interior never matched the external model. A good example is 'All That Glister's.' The model has a lab pod, but the full sized pod interior has the regular door that opens to the planet surface with no sign of the pod extensions.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #7
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

That wasn't the only error with that set. They took the interior of the passenger pod set and extended the back section and made it longer. Part of the wall section with shelves in the forward Eagle section (seen the 1st season episode, The Full Circle) was used.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 03-04-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
First off I must say I do like the Lab Pod- the only PE Eagle I own was this configuration. It is just refreshing after seeing the standard pod being called everything under the sun but having the exact same exterior (although two had different paint jobs).

My question is mostly- why is this particular design called a Lab Pod?
It has two protrusions with extra maneuvering jets and the doors have been moved out, but that does not give it much usable interior space for anything- most of it seems to be taken up with a hallway to the door and hardware for the jets.

I know this special version was made for a WOW factor to start off season 2, but the reasoning behind the design escapes me. I figured if anybody would know the details of this variant and how it is supposed to work in that universe it would be on this forum.
There's a line of dialogue at the start of "All that Glitters" in Helena's monologue about a pod being specially converted.

Also, the pod features in the closing credits.

My take on why it's been labelled as a "booster pod" comes from "The Last Enemy" when the Eagle fleet has been immobilised by Dionne.

However, in "New Adam, New Eve" Alan has extra booster rockets added to a regular pod (just to confuse matters). We also see Magus breaking into a sweat trying to stop the Eagle taking off. So maybe Alan could have overcome Magus if they used a booster pod/lab pod with extra rockets
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

So we have a Standard (external) Pod with four sets of auxiliary VTOL boosters (one each corner) and a Booster (Lab) Pod with an auxiliary spine booster...
I have the series on DVD but I have not watched it for a while and not specifically for some of these details like internal configurations of the different pods.- looks like I have a new project.

Thanks all!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #10
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

If you search online, you can find some blueprints on the interior configuration on the lab pod and the medical/rescue pod.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I have tried to search online but get more chaff than grain.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Eagle-one
Waste Technician

Thank you very much for the explanations and information above.
Up until reading the above I figured that the "Lab" pod was a laboratory pod.
Eagle-one is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote