SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Your command is my wish

Here is the main body dry fitted together

As you can see the panel lines are quite shallow so they aren't a big deal in my opinion. When this has had a couple of coats of primer and paint that will even them out even more. These are not trenches in either depth or width.

Note: the exhaust nozzles are assembled from 4 pieces which fit very well. I was concerned that it would be difficult to get them to conform to the cylinder, but they work every well.

Here is the upper section with the fin attached. The fin comes as two parts which goe together well. The engineering of this kit is very good, much better than the old Imai kits!

and finally here is one of the side pods

With both of these you can see the panel lines are shallow and narrow enough not to be a problem. I would say that filling them would be more trouble than it is worth.

Going back to the first pic, you can see in the recess at the top where they intend the single AA battery to reside, with the top pod able to slide off when you need to change the battery. Needless to say I won't be using a single AA battery for the LEDs I intend to put in the cockpit and light bar, so in this pic you can see the inderside panel which is intended to be attached by screws where I've scratch built a panel to support the coil battery holders.

The switch in the base comes with the kit. Finally I assembled the titchy Gordon figure and here he is next to a 1:48 scale pilot from the spares box

I'm really not sure what to do about this problem, I need to think on it, not sure I want to have to mess about converting a figure into Gordon...
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #22
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Thanks for posting those. Yes the panel lines look fine but Gordon is anothing thing. What were they thinking of making him that small? Maybe there's another one that could be used from another old Imai kit or something? I'm also not convinced that the underside of the nose is the right shape. It looks like it curls up a bit much to me.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #23
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

The imai kit doesn't have a figure - it has a head that is stuck to a horrible fake cockpit panel
Old 25-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #24
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
The imai kit doesn't have a figure - it has a head that is stuck to a horrible fake cockpit panel
I remember that...I had to cut out the entire cockpit area and rebuild it as I just hated that head lol. I did use the original head on a milliput body but it still looks a bit crap close up
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 02:30 AM   #25
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post

Why am I not surprised!

Old 25-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #26
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Boldman I was looking at my kit at the weekend and assembled the cockpit... as far as I can see what Aoshima have done is to put the puppet scale cockpit into the FX model... and they are different scales. The puppet set is much larger than the space allows in the model, which is why Gordon and the interior are 1/60 while the exterior is bang on 1/48 (according to published dimensions).
When you see the model Gordon looks large in the cockpit... I'd say a 1/43 figure would be more like the right size.

I don't know whether to scratch a new interior or go with the model as is. (Certainly not using any of the electrics or the wheels)

I agree about the exhaust nozzles being a novel idea... it works really well and you have minimal clean up of the parts.

The worst fitting part seems to be the bottom plate. I know it's meant to be screwed on to allow access to the internals, but mine will be static so gluing in place is my plan.

Another good thing is that the three pods are such a clean fit that they can be assembled and painted off the model prior to final assembly, decalling and weathering.

The only major change I will make is to fill in the side door. I know the set has a hatch in the side, but the model doesn't have an external one.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #27
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Maybe if that's the case I can live with Gordon and the cockpit as let's not forget the exterior of TB4 changed a bit over the series anyway.
Old 26-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #28
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Think I'll stick with my Taito Game Prize TB4. Much bigger and once the deep panel lines are filled, a nice model. Only trouble I have noticed over the years is the canopy has gone milky.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #29
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I noticed last night that there's an external copyright notice on the underside of the nose... I've not seen that since the old Revell H19 helicopter kit I built from the 50s. Blimey.

Keith is your site the Space Models Photography one? Recent additions being Angel Interceptors in the Cloudbase hanger?
If so I've seen your TB4 and it looks beautiful.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #30
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Yes that's mine.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #31
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

So here it is complete. I had some trouble with the "Thunderbird 4" decals that came with the kit - they are very fragile and broke up irretrievably while applying them. I did email Aoshima as they did a superb job when I had a problem with the Mole decals, but they haven't replied in a week so I took it upon myself to make my own decals. I still had my original Photoshop files form the Imai TB4 so it was just a matter of scaling those up and a few minor tweaks...

Sorry about the non-glamorous location, I'll take some better photos when I can get into the conservatory in daylight.

I've lit the lighting unit with Surface moult LEDs but the kit does some with a small bulb to put in there. I was goign to light the cockpit but I wasn't all that impressed with the figure so didn't bother in the end.

You can see two of the tools that come with the kit. You get the welding tool, the gripper and a hook tool, plus the rams used in Day of Disaster to free the Martian Probe capsule, plus 3 torpedos that can be fired out of the two middle tubes, which have springs hidden at the back and a trigger mechanism attached to the light gantry.

The base is as it comes with the kit, just painted up. The kit also includes the lichen to put on the base! Its a nice kit, spoiled by the poor Gordon figure and the rather trough-like panel lines.

My other criticism is that the rear engine tubes (painted red) look to long to me.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:40 AM   #32
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Splash!

Just add water...

It's turned out beautifully, and you've every right to be proud of your efforts!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #33
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Yes turned out very nice. I'm not surprised Aoshima reply though. Most of these model companies are like that.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #34
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

That is a beautiful build!
I can see how the red tubes look long, I wonder since they did have multiple models of this craft if one of them was that way?

I really want one of these now
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #35
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Smoothe,spot on smoothe!The people at Aoshima did not slack off when
they made this model of TB 4 so perfect.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #36
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Its not a very expensive kit, even with postage from Japan!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #37
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Turned out a great display piece
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #38
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Here are some better phtoos of the completed model plus some with the Bandai model (which I have previously mistakenly attributed to Imai!)

And with the Bandai kit

In this one you can really see how bad the shape around the cockpit is on the Bandai kit!
Old 20-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #39
medokoutb
Alphan

Hello

I like the fact they've provided alternate arms and torpedos ..
medokoutb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote