Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Fenton
Chef

Default De Agostini

Hi guys , today I had an email from part~work publishers De Agostini asking me to complete a survey regarding potential future collections. Among the various sets of cars , aircraft , military vehicles etc was a particularly interesting one - reproduction Dinky replicas of Gerry Anderson models. The photo included an Eagle (late model blue), UFO Interceptor (in the notorious green), Thunderbird 2 (& 4), Joe 90's car, Captain Scarlet's MSV.
Proposed models would come with a magazine detailing technical specs. and background info to the shows etc.

Funnily enough I completed a similar survey a few years ago where they included a blank suggestion box and I suggested a Gerry Anderson collection then , perhaps they listened ?.....
I hope they give it the green light.
Fenton is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

It would be great if these would be accurate replicas instead of Dinky reproductions.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Fenton
Chef

Fair point Richard , but given the price constraints of the average magazine part~work collection (I'd guess that if these were to hit the shelves in the UK that they'd retail around the 10 mark ?) , that going down the Dinky route is the more cost effective option for the publisher.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

If the can do it for Star Trek they could surely do it for Anderson vehicles? How about part metal accurate replicas, say two to three times the size of the Konami gashapon toys issued a while back.
That's what I was hoping Corgi was aiming for with the Thunderbirds 50th toys, and was feeling a bit let down.
Corgi manage to do nice stuff for real world diecast replicas, but when it comes to TV stuff they always drop the ball. Star Trek comes to mind from a few years back.

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Whilst i'd love to see this i think we have to be realistic that the odds are pretty high it won't happen.
Star Trek has a much higher profile worldwide than Gerry's productions (with the possible exception of Japan).

Ask Joe Public who Gerry Anderson is and they wont have a clue, Thunderbirds, yes, but not Gerry and for a project like this to be viable it would have to cover all his output so you would only get the die hard fans like us signing up for the duration.

Saying that, one possible way i could see this being done is for it to be a subscription only collection, similar to some of their model partworks that are only available via this route.

On a more positive note it's looking likely that the big TB2 model partwork currently being run in Japan is going to be released in the UK but no dates or method of purchase have been mentioned yet.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #6
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I think accurate vehicles are perfectly viable even if these shows aren't as big as Trek. G.A. stuff has quite a large fanbase even for shows like UFO and Joe 90.

Can't see the point in Dinky replicas though. They're easy to come by anyway and most Anderson fans have already got the ones they want. An accurate vehicle collection is long overdue. Those Konami ones are rubbish because they're made of soft vinyl.

Last edited by FALLINGSTAR; 04-07-2016 at 05:23 AM.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
wvrs158
Hydroponics Technician

Was hoping that Eaglemoss might take the GA route now that the Batman series has ended at #84. While I don't have any interest in the Dinky variants, I too would love to see an accurate GA vehicle collection, provided they don't skimp on the quality of the replicas or the content of the magazines.
wvrs158 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #8
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I think it's dying out for an Eaglemoss line but not Thunderbirds as there's plenty of accurate Thunderbirds vehicles about now in diecast and plastic. They should do stuff that hasn't been done before or hardly done before. Accurate vehicles in diecast and plastic of things like Strakers car, UFO, Shado Mobiles, Joe 90 cars and U59 and U87 trucks etc.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Pod vehicles would make an efficient product line since a lot of them used the same drive train & chassis.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but the Dinky's were just inexpensive toys, cheaply made for kids to play with. They have achieved legendary collector status I think due to nostalgia-the kids who played with them are the ones who want to have that special part of their lives back on their shelves once again.

Aside from those who already have these in their collections, to the new customer accurate reproductions of a Dinky toy do not make a lot of sense. Eaglemoss has shown you can make a good accurate replica at a reasonable cost- why not go that route instead of assuming the market craves a reproduction of an inaccurate toy? For a true collector it does not seem as desirable since the value is in the originals. For those who would like a nice GA vehicle the Dinky version has too many compromises to look that good on the shelf.

This whole marketing approach does not make much sense to me, unfortunately it is taking the place of a potentially more viable product line of accurate replicas.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Fenton
Chef

Email 'em then fellas ! No harm in trying seeing as they are actively considering it via the survey they sent me

Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

What would be their eMail address? I tried to Google it and got everything but...
Old 08-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Replicas of existing Dinky or Corgi models doesn't make any sense to me. But a series like the Batmobiles from Eaglemoss, with accurate Anderson models would really be great. By the way: the Corgi New Captain Scarlet diecast models were great and very accurate. I'd love to see more Anderson craft in this quality.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Email 'em then fellas ! No harm in trying seeing as they are actively considering it via the survey they sent me

Will do but it would be great if you could do that also Fenton seeing as you're obviously important enough for them to contact you.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
Fenton
Chef

Already have mate
Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #15
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but the Dinky's were just inexpensive toys, cheaply made for kids to play with. They have achieved legendary collector status I think due to nostalgia-the kids who played with them are the ones who want to have that special part of their lives back on their shelves once again.

This whole marketing approach does not make much sense to me, unfortunately it is taking the place of a potentially more viable product line of accurate replicas.
No offence taken but Dinky toys were anything but inexpensive & cheaply made. The build quality was outstanding as were their contemparies of the time Matchbox & Corgi.
If you want cheap build quality then look no further than the majority of today's toys which are mostly plastic and of dubious quality.

I agree about the marketing strategy, as if this project was ever to be greenlit then you would be looking at several dozen issues to be commercially viable so you couldn't have repros of Dinky toys as there were only about a dozen Anderson vehicles in their catalogue.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2016, 05:15 AM   #16
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Already have mate

Good to hear that. Did you mention this conversation at all?

Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with their website at the moment as it's not loading properly for me.
Old 13-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Fenton
Chef

Not this conversation specifically but I did point out to them the existence of this forum and the interest this potential collection might generate - ball's in their court now !?...
Old 18-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Why not look at doing a 1/8 scale SPV over two years?
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote