Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #41
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The only problem I see is in Koenig's motivation for attacking the creature. Why endager himself in such a way when there was no one to save, they could simply have turned and run away, then lasered the whole ship from a safe distance!
What really needed to happen was Helena being hyponotized next by the monster, then Koenig throwing himself at it to save her and becoming a hero.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #42
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
The only problem I see is in Koenig's motivation for attacking the creature. Why endager himself in such a way when there was no one to save, .
Say, that's a good point. I wondered why they just didn't back off and close the airlock door myself.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #43
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default He's just that kind of guy......

Koenig had so much respect for Cellini that I'd suggest he was overcome with rage, guilt or a mixture of both: all those years he'd been a lone voice supporting Tony, whilst all those around him disbelieved him. Being a passionate and emotional kind of person, maybe blind fury overtook Koenig - maybe he wanted the Dragon dead so that other travellers wouldn't end up suffering the same fate.....

On a never-ending loop of Season One, I'm going to put my feet up, darken the lights and watch this episode this weekend with my twelve year old son - his scariest TV story is Tom Baker's "The Pyramids of Mars" with Sutekh's mask (he absolutely hates that, despite having watched it ad infinitum).

We're going to revel in the beautiful strings of the Adagio as the Ultra Probe leaves dock, the rare insight into events prior to Breakaway, the intense moody organ music and the nightmarish battle as the monster is unleashed, and reflect upon one of Gerry's finest hours - this is the one where everything clicked and the show became more than a TV episode, more a feature film in forty four minutes. Detractors there may be but, for me, this is one piece of Anderson magic which will, like the story of Tony Cellini and The Monster, live on.....

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #44
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

I always enjoy when series twist existing stories - Dr Who did it well in the Hinchcliff era and 1999 did it here (pre dating Alien) with the allegory to George and the Dragon - its ceratinly made its mark as both my wife and myself cite it as the scariest episode we saw back then (and still now)
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #45
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default And it happened all over again.....

.....that initial onslaught from the Dragon is most unsettling. The set-up is just exemplary - the gorgeous orchestral music, the beautiful Ultra Probe fly-past and then the urgent musical motif as the act comes to a close when Tony alters the ship's course, then the eerie crawl through the graveyard, and finishing with Darwin's "Come on Sesame, open up!!"......and then the full horror is unleashed.

These poor travellers are so far from home, alone, and completely undeserving of this horrible, violent death. For me, that's what the programme makers achieved - it's that remoteness, across billions of miles of space, and we're witnessing it all.....

Anyway, I'd looked forward to it for weeks, and it didn't disappoint, and I'll watch it all over again in the future. Thanks for reading,

Kindest regards

Patrick

"What's that guy got against me?!?!"
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #46
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Wrong place, wrong time, mate (and twice, no less)...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #47
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I'm going to put my feet up, darken the lights and watch this episode this weekend with my twelve year old son - his scariest TV story is Tom Baker's "The Pyramids of Mars" with Sutekh's mask (he absolutely hates that, despite having watched it ad infinitum).
It scared the hell out of me when I was twelve, too.
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #48
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

I've always thought that the moon was probably travelling through space in the year 2870 as stated in Death's Other Dominion and it had taken the graveyard nearly a thousand years to reach that area of space with the Dragon probably in hibernation while Alpha had slipped through various holes in space and black suns to get there!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #49
twilightman
Alphan

cellini had a very distinctive voice he should of been a regular.
twilightman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #50
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

It is a great episode but the monster does let it down a bit. The sound effects are enough to scare the hell out of anyone but then we get this bizarre creature who has a light for an eye and a room for a mouth [ plus some obvious rubber tentacles where people twist around to make it look like they're being pulled towards the creature ] Ok the eye looked pretty good but the creature also seemed to be half physical [ it can get hurt ] and half supernatural. I know there was the hypnotism thing but the creature was killed off fairly easily at the end so why couldn't it have been killed earlier?
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #51
medokoutb
Alphan

Hello

when Cellini gets back as the sole survivor, why is Koenig in charge on Alpha ?
medokoutb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #52
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medokoutb View Post
Hello

when Cellini gets back as the sole survivor, why is Koenig in charge on Alpha ?
He is not in charge as commander, it was 1996 in the flashback scenes, Koenig still had a orange/yellow sleeve.
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epimghd/tidd8.html
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/...d/spdd1509.jpg
Koenig and Bergman get re-assigned back on Earth after the failure of the 1996 Ultra Probe. Koenig returns as commander[black sleeve] on September 1999 ["Breakaway" episode].

This Space:1999 related site is in-depth. Here is a link to "Dragon's Domain":
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epguide/t23dd.html

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 20-05-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #53
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Time Passages...

A quick hop into Catacombs et al shows Koenig in an orange sleeve, which would make sense as he and Tony Cellini would've been members of the Reconnaissance section ca 1996.

As noted, following his "grounding" in the wake of the Ultra Probe fiasco, he would return to the Moon as Alpha commander (black sleeve); believe he also exerted some influence, in that capacity, to get Cellini back to Alpha as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
He is not in charge as commander, it was 1996 in the flashback scenes, Koenig still had a yellow sleeve.
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epimghd/tidd8.html
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/...d/spdd1509.jpg
Koenig and Bergman get re-assigned back on Earth after the failure of the 1996 Ultra Probe. Koenig returns as commander[black sleeve] on September 1999 ["Breakaway" episode].

This Space:1999 related site is in-depth. Here is a link to "Dragon's Domain":
http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/epguide/t23dd.html
Old 20-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #54
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Thanks boatshewsd2, when I first saw the yellow and orange sleeves beginning in '75 I always thought it was just yellow sleeves. It was not until the catacombs site in the last several years that I was shown the truth.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #55
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default It's A Ball of Confusion...

Agreed; you almost have to see Sandra and Alan in a scene together (preferably Y1), to be able to discern the color difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Thanks boatshewsd2, when I first saw the yellow and orange sleeves beginning in '75 I always thought it was just yellow sleeves. It was not until the catacombs site in the last several years that I was shown the truth.

Old 24-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #56
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

I rewatched this episode recently. I think there are a couple of things which could have been improved upon.

When Cellini is the last survivor and he runs towards the command module, we see that whizzy thing which the dragon materialises out of. That gives the impression that the dragon can move or "teleport" - or perhaps there were more of the creatures? So it would have been good to see more of a "battle of wits" between Cellini and the dragon before Cellini escapes. Actually, that's much closer to what Ripley does in Alien. In that case, maybe if the story was a two-parter with a cliff hanger a la "Bringers of Wonder" to infer more tension between Cellini and the dragon.

The other point concerns the Space Commission. Whilst the actor who plays Commissioner Dixon is very effective in playing the "stoic bureaucrat" I think they could have use the backstory to add continuity to the disaster which blasted the moon out of orbit. i.e. Where Dixon says "There's nothing like a thumping dramatic failure for drying up the money supply," there could have been some allusions to the dumping of nuclear waste on the moon. In other words, whilst Dixon blames Cellini, Koenig and Bergman for the disaster, what if Dixon had been using them as "fall guys" for the scandal that nuclear waste disposal was getting out of control - that the Space Commission had f***ed up all along but were using the Ultra Probe crisis as a smoke screen?
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #57
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
It is a great episode but the monster does let it down a bit. The sound effects are enough to scare the hell out of anyone but then we get this bizarre creature who has a light for an eye and a room for a mouth [ plus some obvious rubber tentacles where people twist around to make it look like they're being pulled towards the creature ] Ok the eye looked pretty good but the creature also seemed to be half physical [ it can get hurt ] and half supernatural. I know there was the hypnotism thing but the creature was killed off fairly easily at the end so why couldn't it have been killed earlier?
I don't know how you can say that the monster lets it down! It was terrifying to most of us seventies kids believe me and I for one couldn't wait for the repeat on the following Saturday! That noise and it's leathery brown skin were very good and despite the odd crease I'd still rate this episode above anything made today!
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote