SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #21
demondriver
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
Just seen the video... great work there!
Just a thought on the stability issues you're having; could the rotational torque generated by fan be having an effect to through SKY-1 off balance?
I agree about moving the batteries etc to a lower position too - should help
Any way of using two smaller fans to counteract rotation torque? Maybe one in each wing pod, instead of the fuselage?

Whatever you have to do, I wish you success...
Cheers Sir! Thankyou for your kind words! All edf units cause a degree of torque roll but it's countered with opposite control imputs... .I'm also going to get rid of the an-hedral in the Sky-1's wings and hove them straight across horizontally rather than bent down as they are on the actual scape model from the show.

I did consideradding two 50mm fans to the rocket pods at first but chose not to because adding all that wiring to the wings etc was a potential nightmare and it would have made Sky-1 too heavy.

I'm hoping to give my modified Sky-1's another-go soon.
demondriver is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #22
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Cheers Sir! Thankyou for your kind words! All edf units cause a degree of torque roll but it's countered with opposite control imputs... .I'm also going to get rid of the an-hedral in the Sky-1's wings and hove them straight across horizontally rather than bent down as they are on the actual scape model from the show.

I did consideradding two 50mm fans to the rocket pods at first but chose not to because adding all that wiring to the wings etc was a potential nightmare and it would have made Sky-1 too heavy.

I'm hoping to give my modified Sky-1's another-go soon.
Cheers Just thinking that two motors might counter-act that torque force more evenly - especially if they're mounted in the wing pods... may lead to more stable flight! Even if the wiring is more complicated!
Just thinking about prop driven aircraft.... single engined planes always pull to the left.... you may need more 'lift' on the opposing aileron than your model currently can match? Two engines kind of neutralise that force if they're seperated onto wings.... that's all I'm thinking And it may allow you to keep the Anderson look to your plane too, with the anhedral wing style...
Sorry....not trying to tell you what to do... I just know that one engine on it's own has strong torque problems that used to kill real-world pilots way back.... and having it rear mounted may make it even more difficult.
Perhaps move the motor forward so that it uses the tube of the fusalage to concentrate the airflow more?
Just ideas
Best of luck.... look forward to seeing more footage
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #23
demondriver
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
Cheers Just thinking that two motors might counter-act that torque force more evenly - especially if they're mounted in the wing pods... may lead to more stable flight! Even if the wiring is more complicated!
Just thinking about prop driven aircraft.... single engined planes always pull to the left.... you may need more 'lift' on the opposing aileron than your model currently can match? Two engines kind of neutralise that force if they're seperated onto wings.... that's all I'm thinking And it may allow you to keep the Anderson look to your plane too, with the anhedral wing style...
Sorry....not trying to tell you what to do... I just know that one engine on it's own has strong torque problems that used to kill real-world pilots way back.... and having it rear mounted may make it even more difficult.
Perhaps move the motor forward so that it uses the tube of the fusalage to concentrate the airflow more?
Just ideas
Best of luck.... look forward to seeing more footage
Hi Yarv! Cheers! I think More lift and moving weight lower down into Sky-1' fuse will do the trick .. .. .I hope.lol

I've made all the improvements and hope to fly her again soon.
demondriver is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote