Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #41
Galligraphics
Travel Tube Technician

OK. Been a while, I know. Life and work got busy for a while, and I got distracted. Hopefully will be able to find some time here and there to try and complete this thing...

Managed to break another leg - this Shapeways stuff is VERY brittle. Although I should try and avoid knocking the model over .

Repairs now made, I turned my thoughts back to the lifting rocket nozzles for the bottom of the passenger pod. Originally I thought about using some old black playing pieces I found in an old game, but the profile wasn't quite right (although, come to think of it, they are the right size and profile to replace the main rocket nozzles on the old Dinky diecast toy - or maybe the add-on booster pack... hmmm ).

Then I spotted a pack of cheapo Sharpie-type pens in Poundland for, you guessed it, a pound... Looking closely at the ends I noticed that they had a suitable profile. They are made of a softer type plastic but cut quite well (and as a bonus I didn't get ink everywhere - turns out the pen is still useable even without the end).

So if I can grab some time in the workshop this week, I can cut three more of these and then need to find a suitable 'ring' to sit them in/on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1336.JPG (133.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1332.JPG (130.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1333.JPG (90.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.JPG (35.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1337.JPG (32.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Galligraphics; 30-04-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Galligraphics is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #42
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galligraphics View Post
Thank you. I could never (even as a kid) understand why Dinky painted them in that horrible green...
Me; I always liked the green. The green Eagle by Dinky; still my favourite. Each to his own I guess (either that or I am just a little bit odd?).
Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #43
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Nice work; shame about the broken printed parts.
A non-model making mate of mine came round to see my work; he dropped one of my aluminium landing legs on a 3d printed master model - he was a little embarrassed but I just about held my reaction in and we are still friends - the result wasn't pretty though!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #44
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Putting pen to paper - or nozzle in this case....

Ah, plastic pens and other paraphernalia out of Poundland - can't beat it. I love the way one thing becomes something else completely, just because it's the same size and shape. Disposable razor handles are one of my preferred components (obviously removing the blades and head first). They've featured in so many of my home-made projects down the years (even the wee clear plastic guards which clip over the blades can be used).

Let's see pictures of the finished bells once you've painted them, please!!

Kindest regards,

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote