Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #141
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

That hole is just a hole as far as I can tell, the green ring came in courtesy of MSPaint.

As for can of worms, I just narrowly avoided a trip past the killing floor into the really really foul areas of the slaughterhouse to look at a printer.
Ferrain is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #142
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrain View Post
That hole is just a hole as far as I can tell, the green ring came in courtesy of MSPaint.

As for can of worms, I just narrowly avoided a trip past the killing floor into the really really foul areas of the slaughterhouse to look at a printer.
HAHAHA...!! I've been looking all over and there don't seem to be any "good" shots of where and how many actual "lights" there are on the Eagle. Can you shed some "light"(pun intended), on this matter...?

OCG
oldcopierguy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #143
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

That green ring is courtesy of MSPaint on the computer, its nice & I wish I could do something like that (Missed my earlier post - Thought it got lost in the interwebs).

Anyway more shots of the Command module & its docking arrangement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Command.jpg (103.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 355mm.jpg (107.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Docked.jpg (106.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Companionway.jpg (141.2 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Ferrain; 01-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #144
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
That green ring is courtesy of MSPaint on the computer, its nice & I wish I could do something like that.

Anyway more shots of the Command module & its docking arrangement.
Well, never say never mate...! I'm workin on some ideas to replicate that look as I said earlier. If your kit is built so you can open it up later, you could retro my plan into your Eagle...he said with a confused half smile...

OCG
Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #145
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

So last night I assembled the remainder of the spine & glued most of the cross-pieces in place & sprayed it in white primer.

Once that was dry I popped out the cross-pieces I didn't glue into place & using a piece of sprue used heat shrink tubing to shrink it approximately to size & then slide from that on to the appropriate pieces.

This was a dummy run, the pieces are cut down roughly (best sizing & colour scheme to be decided) & they have not been shrunk fully in place until painting is complete & only then will they be glued in place.

Rather than use the method described in the instructions I dabbed each locating pin in a drop of glue & then slotted into place.

Please excuse the CM paneling (in a semigloss white) its not complete & if I don't like it, the other side is pristine (Hedging my bets or what).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spine.jpg (187.4 KB, 97 views)

Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #146
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
So last night I assembled the remainder of the spine & glued most of the cross-pieces in place & sprayed it in white primer.

Once that was dry I popped out the cross-pieces I didn't glue into place & using a piece of sprue used heat shrink tubing to shrink it approximately to size & then slide from that on to the appropriate pieces.

This was a dummy run, the pieces are cut down roughly (best sizing & colour scheme to be decided) & they have not been shrunk fully in place until painting is complete & only then will they be glued in place.

Rather than use the method described in the instructions I dabbed each locating pin in a drop of glue & then slotted into place.

Please excuse the CM paneling (in a semigloss white) its not complete & if I don't like it, the other side is pristine (Hedging my bets or what).
Hey Ferrain, if those cross brace pces are straight, I was thinking of putting them in my Emco(mini lathe) on real slow, and using a nice flat paint brush to put the coloured rings on...!? Or should there be some scale "thickness" to these colored rings, hence the use of heat shrink...?

OCG
Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #147
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

I'm using heat shrink as a tidier way of adding "detail", to the spine (I'm not cutting out & slipping in via the gap).

I might yet cut each band individually so they lay flat to each other, rather than the smallest center band is riding over the top of the longer.

They might even be seen as "cushioned" clamping\anchorage points for the overhead carriage system, with the bands of as a colour code for weight loading\pod types.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:29 AM   #148
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

Tonight I trimmed a couple of pieces together & applied heat on the cross-piece (went a little soft) & then went back to doing it on the sprue (slightly oversized).

The results look much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spine2.jpg (185.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #149
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Tonight I trimmed a couple of pieces together & applied heat on the cross-piece (went a little soft) & then went back to doing it on the sprue (slightly oversized).

The results look much better.
Looks good...! Yer literally playin with fire there mate...heat shrinking plastic can be hazardous to your health..er..kit...!!!

OCG
Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 AM   #150
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

I'd hoped with brief bursts as the SMD heatgun on my solder station (set to minimum) started up to avoid the sag alas not but it was recoverable.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #151
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

You are a very brave man doing what you are doing! I simply masked the bands and painted them on - much simpler IMO
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #152
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

I'd been practising on the sprue first - Oh well I'll just form them on that first as before.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #153
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

I bought the final piece of tubing (In the third model shop in Calgary in two weekends) for the metal upgrades to the oleo's.

The 5/32" brass tubing is slightly smaller than the original inner piece (not a issue) & for the tube for the oleo itself & smaller brass tube for the pad are oversized.

Unless I missed something (Highly likely) it seems that the dims Klee gave were of the internal diameter & the outside dimensions as the last two (exposed) original plastic sections fit nicely snugly into the internal dimensions of the replacement metal.

I'm going to have to do another round robin of the model shops next weekend (unless I get lucky in Lethbridge on Monday). This time I will be taking the original plastic part(s) with me.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #154
klee
Medical Technician

My progress was interrupted but now I am closing on finishing this, here are my latest updates:

klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #155
klee
Medical Technician

I even did a video on how I did the weathering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOjUZ2Fm6o
klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #156
EddieL
Computer Technician

Very nice work.

Thanks for sharing.