SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
warspite
Alphan

Default Keith Young's Space 1999 Reference Guides

Hello fellow Alphans,

Not sure if this news has been seen here but Keith Young is going to be re-releasing his original reference guides on CD. He made the anouncement over on Facebook and I have copied his ad for all of us here.

I know I am excited to have the chance to add these to my Technical Manual.
warspite is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
tryptych
Geological Technician

Sounds expensive to me.
If anybody wants to send me these me, I'll make them into proper scalable vector graphics and make them freely available.
tryptych is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warspite View Post
Hello fellow Alphans,

Not sure if this news has been seen here but Keith Young is going to be re-releasing his original reference guides on CD. He made the anouncement over on Facebook and I have copied his ad for all of us here.

I know I am excited to have the chance to add these to my Technical Manual.
Can you link this facebook annnouncement?

This is actually Keith Young himself releasing or another person? If it is Keith Young, then I am glad he is still doing this. I purchased his prior volume one CD and it was great.
I am surprised Keith does not contact prior purchasers or post here at ETF.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 06-10-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
warspite
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
Sounds expensive to me.
If anybody wants to send me these me, I'll make them into proper scalable vector graphics and make them freely available.
Reasonably sure that would be considered piracy, might want to rethink that plan.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
warspite
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Can you link this facebook annnouncement?

This is actually Keith Young himself releasing or another person? If it is Keith Young, then I am glad he is still doing this. I purchased his prior volume one CD and it was great.
I am surprised Keith does not contact prior purchasers or post here at ETF.
It is in fact Keith (Paxton) who is releasing them, here is the Facebook link as requested;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
stiki
Geological Technician

Default Keith Young's Blueprints

Keith is a personal friend of mine - he is definitely rereleasing these due to requests to do so. Any copying & scanning is not only bad form but also theft.
I know first hand, having seen the original drawings, the years of hard work that went into these.... well worth $35 of anyone's money.
stiki is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
tryptych
Geological Technician

If they are genuine and being sold by the original author, fair do's, but the ad claims they are from "Starlog", so who says it's wrong to steal from a pirate?
And I would be recreating them based on those drawings, and not for profit either. One could say imitation is the sincerest form of theft of intellectual property.

Last edited by tryptych; 07-10-2017 at 06:45 PM.
tryptych is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
It is in fact Keith (Paxton) who is releasing them, here is the Facebook link as requested;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Thank you warspite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiki View Post
Keith is a personal friend of mine - he is definitely rereleasing these due to requests to do so. Any copying & scanning is not only bad form but also theft.
I know first hand, having seen the original drawings, the years of hard work that went into these.... well worth $35 of anyone's money.
Keith's work is brilliant. I purchased his Space:1999 Blueprints Volume 1 CD and was extremely happy.

When it states STARLOG formatted it is that Keith perfectly designing the layout to the 1978 STARLOG's Alpha Moonbase Technical Notebook standard. http://catacombs.space1999.net/cyber...matnindex.html

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 08-10-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
warspite
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
If they are genuine and being sold by the original author, fair do's, but the ad claims they are from "Starlog", so who says it's wrong to steal from a pirate?
And I would be recreating them based on those drawings, and not for profit either. One could say imitation is the sincerest form of theft of intellectual property.
As mentioned by Steve, these are not part of the Starlog Technical Manual. These are suppliments to the Manual, all drawn by Keith himself. He 'filled in the blanks' missing from the Starlog issue. David Hirsch himself complemented his efforts,

Keith has only been releasing his work digitally since 2014. You might feel that your copying of his work as 'flattery' but wait until someone else steals some work you have put so much time into. Karma is a bitch.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
As mentioned by Steve, these are not part of the Starlog Technical Manual. These are suppliments to the Manual, all drawn by Keith himself. He 'filled in the blanks' missing from the Starlog issue. David Hirsch himself complemented his efforts,

Keith has only been releasing his work digitally since 2014. You might feel that your copying of his work as 'flattery' but wait until someone else steals some work you have put so much time into. Karma is a bitch.
David Hirsch's statement to Keith is very true. As a boy, I remember that in 1978 when I purchased STARLOG's Alpha Moonbase Technical Notebook I mailed in a registration form for future pages to be released from STARLOG to be purchased and placed in the notebook. STARLOG never released any new pages. Keith has done and is doing what STARLOG, sadly did not do.