Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Eagle-1

Default Eddie Hill's Top Fuel Dragster in 1/24 scale.

Hey guys,

Here's another non Sci-Fi for ya'. Here's a finished 1/24th scale Dragster. Box stock except for a little engine detail and modified front wheels. The front wheels from the box didn't match the real wheels Eddie Hill had on the car, so I modified them. I also made the header pipes on a lathe. I don't think it came out too bad. If I have any other hobby other than Space:1999, it would have to be real Drag Racing.

The real cars are right at 8000 Horsepower. 0-100 MPH in less than 1 second. Dead stop to 1320 feet (1/4 mile) in less than 4.5 seconds at speeds over 330 MPH.

Look ok? Kinda grainy, I know, but I crunched them down in file size quite a bit for dial up folks. I have several more, but they are all over the 800 pixel max allowed size.

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Eagle-1

Ok, I didn't know. You can completely delete it from "breakaway" then?

Rob.
Old 29-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Lookin' good there, Rob.

Moved to A Matter of Balance (General discussion of all other non sci-fi hardware and subject matter) - the original link is automatically deleted in one week.

That belt looks dangerous all exposed like that!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
Eagle-1

Cool! My mistake. I really gotta look closer before posting.

I've been around these cars quite a bit and I don't think there's much about them that ain't dangerous. First time, years ago, I stood right next to one of these engines in the pit during a warm-up, I really thought the thing was gonna come apart. I've never been concerned about that sorta thing in my life, but I was then! The sound these things make is undescribable. You really have to hear it in person to truly understand. I've been around some pretty mean engines in my time and these things are beyond compare to the baddest thing in "normal" hot rods, I don't care how "bad" it is. If it's on the street, not even close. Even a Pro-Stock car, which will do the 1/4 mile in just over 6 seconds ain't even close. 6 seconds in a 1/4 mile is fast, to say the least, but even that looks like a snail after just watching one of these bad boys makes a run!

Did I mention, I like 'em?

Rob.
Old 29-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

O boy that's beautiful work. Yes, these things are amazing when fired up... dangerous has nothing on this!!!
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
ostrein
Communications Officer

Hy Rob,

a very nice dragster you've build there. I do understand your passion for these great maschines.
We went several times to the Cannon Ball and FIA Finals at Santa Pod in the UK.
There's just no other motor sport event where you can see so powerfull maschines and you actually can talk to the drivers and the mechanics.

Oliver
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
Eagle-1

Thanks guys!

Ostrein,

I actually live just a couple streets over from the owner of the "Candies & Hughes" Funny Car, Mr. Paul Candies. That won't mean much to most everybody, but they were National Champions for a couple years, a few years ago with Mark Oswald as the driver. Well, before John Force completely took over the Funny Car class that is...LOL!

A Top Fuel Funny Car has the same capabilities of a Top Fuel Dragster at around half the overall length. They say a Funny Car approaching the end of the 1/4 mile can get mighty squirrely! I've personally witnessed a couple "incidents" in Drag Racing that I really didn't think folks should walk away from. I've never seen a "fatal" error yet though.

Rob.
Old 29-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Eagle-1

As a matter of fact.....

Here's how the car this exact model kit was based on.......ended!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc1O4...eature=related

Rob.
Old 29-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
ostrein
Communications Officer

HOLY SH*T

Glad he survived this crash. Fortunately that when I went to Santa Pod there was never any serious incident.
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I didn't watch all of it but that looked like a 'chute malfunction?...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Eagle-1

A whole lotta malfunctions start happening in less than one second's time!

Start watching closely at 29 seconds. Engine failure. Takes a tire. Takes the ride!

The engine blocks for Top Fuel and Funny Car come from Kieth Black Racing and cost over $30,000.00 EACH. Just the engine block.

EACH.

Rob.
Old 29-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Those prices sound like my BMW.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Those prices sound like my BMW.
Not including tires, right?
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

You betcha.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
Eagle-1

Naw, tires for Top Fuel cars usually run $2000.00 each. They generally make about two or three passes on 'em then sell them to Pro-Stock guys for $1000.00 each. Unless your a "big name" Pro-Stock guy. Then they just shell out full price for new ones.

Oh to have a good sponsor!

Rob.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Eddie Hill survived many wrecks over his career. He started in drag cars, then went over to race motorcycles (after opening a cycle dealership which he still owns today) then on to drag boats, which is a far more dangerous sport. After one nasty wreck where he got badly injured (from pretty much coming to a sudden stop when he hit the water at over 100mph), he went back to racing drag cars (specifically top fuel dragsters). He was the first top fuel driver ever to crack the four second barrier when he did it at an IHRA event I believe in 1988 (setting a 4.99 ET). He went on to win the NHRA top fuel championship in 1993. Lack of sponsorship forced him to retire in 1999 (his last Nationals win was in 1996), but he still runs the cycle business he started in 1966. He also holds the distinction of being the oldest driver to win an NHRA Nationals event.

As for the model, it looks very nice Eagle! I had a couple Top Fueller kits in my collection, but I never did finish one due to all the plumbing required for the engine to make it look like the real thing. Thankfully one of only two Top Fueller diecasts I have in my stash is Eddie Hill's 1993 dragster. The guy was great!
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote