Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-11-2007, 02:49 AM   #41
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I blame all this nonsense on the X Files.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #42
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Quote:
Prior to landing a Lander on there.But not being able to show the sites after they had been there.I could imagine a case of been there done that and a waste of resources.
NASA put 5 lunar orbiter spacecraft (unmanned) into orbit around the moon in 1966 and 1967 to provide detailed images of the proposed landing sites (and other areas, as well). Each functioned for a few weeks. After the landings, there was no further requirement and no additional missions were launched.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #43
CR
Science Officer

The 'washed out' crosshairs thing is discussed in great detail at Clavius (and a number of other sites). Go there and read about it. If you still don't understand, then go to this site http://www3.telus.net/summa/moonshot/index.htm and follow the steps taken to duplicate a similar effect yourself. (It won't be exact, because you won't be having your 'crosshair' directly against the film, but it will show you what is happening. Here's a link directly to the crosshair thing: http://www3.telus.net/summa/moonshot/cross.htm )
As for the two landing sites with the same background thing, did you follow the "Fun with Parallax" link I provided? Read that, and then read about the scientific details at Calvius... the 'same background' thing is discussed there. (The paralax effect explains some of the issue, though I believe at least one 'double background' was due to a simple mis-labeling of the photo... again, this is discussed in detail.)
You haven't by any chance been reading Jack White's photo 'analyses,' have you? His grasp of photography, despite his loud voicing about being an expert, seems less expert than what high school students might learn in basic photo classes. His 'analysis' techniques would make true photo analysts cringe. If you so much as question him about something, and he thinks you are disagreeing with him, he'll lump you in with 'the government,' or 'disinfo agents,' or 'provoceteurs,' or whatever else he wants, and won't listen to you. I've seen it happen time and again on a forum he frequents ironically known as The Education Forum. (Note, I'm just stating what I've seen; this isn't meant as an ad hominem attack.)

Last edited by CR; 24-11-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added link
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #44
Scrimber
Medical Technician

Hi will check them out thanks no just there seems to be a lot on the Discovery channels.And just wanted a really decent diccusion on the subject.I belive the lable issue as thousands where taken and spread around the media at the time.

Shame they did not use the satellites for further pictures prior to total power loss.

Only 99.9 percent now and as for the X Files only liked the earth based stories the Family one still gives me a judder the one where they kept it the family.Still can't understand why it was banned in America after one screening??

What would be cool if they where not distured by its own treads is to see the ariel few of the tarks the rovers left to see the distant they travelled.

Again roll on next year

But still wander why the chinese can't do it they must map or pass aleast one site.I know it may not be what its designed for but thought it might pick up something.In its mapping of the Luna surface and modern cameras and digtal imagers.
Scrimber is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #45
AceMartini
Communications Officer

The reason the lunar orbiters didn't function longer was that they used a system that took photographs which were processed on board and scanned with an optical scanning device. Video resolution was too low to be useful, so film was required. Once the film was used up, the orbiters couldn't take any additional pictures.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #46
CR
Science Officer

That's all different nowdays, of course, with digital processing. It's amazing what people made do with back in the day; technology was limited (though not primitive), and some very creative solutions were thought out & implemented.
I wish more people these days would have that kind of creativity & drive to achieve something. The "can do" spirit is desperately needed more than ever today, not the "trust no one" and "be afraid" spirits that seem to pervade our daily lives...
Old 25-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #47
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

But governments are very afraid of the "can do" spirit. Our new gove seems to be calling for it but we shall see (not that I'm suspicious or anything )

You've hit it on the head though CR
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #48
Scrimber
Medical Technician

To true just think if the Americans the Russians and the Chinese all pulled together and just got on with it.Think so much is wasted on keeping stuff secret and delvelopment of the same technology over and over again.

Shame with that kind of effort we really could have a real manned base on the moon.And a designated launch site for a Mars mission.

Why is it the people of the world can get on and not there goverments.

Makes you think
Old 26-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #49
CR
Science Officer

I was going to say "power" in answer to the question, but I think it's actually greed. "He who has the most toys wins," so to speak. Power/control is a manifestation of greed, the desire to have it all, even at the expense of future generations.

Governments may fear the 'can do' spirit, but they forget that it's that spirit that got countries where they are in the first place. Sad, really, that they forget that.
They also fear education. "An educated populace is a free populace." Yet in America, at least, education gets gutted, and in fact blacklisted as subversive. How pathetic. Worse is that so many in the general population seem to buy into it, or worse still, don't even care.

What's this got to do with the topic of moon landings? The fact that some people don't believe the landings occurred, or refuse to believe that humans could ever do something like that, is a symptom of poor education coupled with huge amounts of willful ignorance and a touch of apathy.
Old 26-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #50
Scrimber
Medical Technician

Sorry just got side tracked thats all just would be nice when was the preposed.New Luna landings planned or has that been suspended till they develop something to get them there.

Old 27-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #51
CR
Science Officer

New craft & launch vehicles are already in the works. Can't remember the links, but this is beyond the 'drawing board' stage... some of the equipment is being constructed. (I believe a pic of the heat shield for the return craft was posted somewhere.)
I've not been able to keep up on the latest news, I'm afraid... too much going on in my life at the moment!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #52
garryap17
Hydroponics Technician

Default moon site

Thanks for reminding me about this site, had a link to it years ago on my old pc, totally forgot about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Like DX, I can't be bothered anymore trying to convince those (and I have a couple in the office), who aren't going to listen to the facts. However I often say that it was probably easier to actually land on the Moon than to actually fake hundreds of hours of TV, 16mm film and thousands of photos. Stanley Kubrick took years to make a two hour film which is still the most realistic space film and there were still obvious mistakes!!!

We, the public now have access to every single frame taken on the Moon (including the ones so poor that the PR guys would never consider releasing) at Kipp Teagues's site (look under full Hasselblad magazines).

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html

Keith
garryap17 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #53
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Lot's more photos since then, including all the photos from Apollo 9 of the CSM and LM and Apollo 11 inspection shots of Eagle.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #54
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

The apolloarchive is an amazing resource! Thanks! I feel the same excitement as when I bought expensive slides on mail order at a more tender age.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote