Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #141
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

How frightening.... Neighbours. I knew I knew the face.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #142
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark40 View Post
In "Confetti Check A-OK", the Doctor that looks after Mary in the hospital looked rather familiar. The voice finally gave it away and I called in my 17yr old son who is currently enjoying Neighbours (I have no idea why...). I pointed out the Doctor to him. Things did not click until I mentioned Neighbours. The look on his face was priceless
Yes, I think one of the incidental pleasures of UFO (and to a lesser extent Space: 1999) is encountering actors who are perhaps more familiar from other circumstances. George Cole, Lois Maxwell and Windsor Davies spring to mind immediately, and my fellow Aussies will of course recognise Charles 'Bud' Tingwell (Beaver James in 'Mindbender').

The same is also true of The Professionals, one of my all-time favourite series. UFO stars Michael Billington, Ed Bishop and Gabrielle Drake all appeared in episodes of The Professionals.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #143
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Off to Brisbane to see my Dad while I can this week so I am paused ready to watch "Kill Straker" when I get back. I really like the scene near the end where Straker pushes Paul to the limit to see if there's anything left of the brainwashing
Old 21-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #144
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ep 16 Kill Straker (12DVD) is an interesting one. A good story with a nice blend of vehicles and drama. I like the way the writers hunted for different devices for the aliens to use rather than organ transplant gore. Makes one wonder what writers of the present would do. This could be a very gory nasty horror thing in the wrong hands. We do get a little of it on our way through but just enough.

The shots of the LM and the Interceptor shot banking left are really well done. Its hard to believe that they were shot in those studios we've been looking at in Alan's book. It gives you a real appreciation of what was achieved.

It was also interesting as a continuity point to reflect that at least one of those four moon bases was actually built. Time ran out before Beta Gamma and Delta could be started let alone finished. I wonder if the ceasing of Alien attacks caused the thing to be cut back.

Back in the real world the idea that the brainwashing allowed Paul's real feelings to be aired is an intriguing one. We get a glimpse of how various Shado people may have viewed Straker's command as we look at how Freeman struggles with him, but this is the first time that someone actually speaks so strongly about it, excepting Henderson. Was Paul really speaking his mind or was it an alien attempt to sideline Straker. It is resolved for Paul somewhat by Straker's actions in "clearing" him for duty rather than having him terminated. Straker's real care for him even after the attempt on his life on moon base is very strong. It gives us a tiny look at what Straker really feels about his staff and the sacrifices they make.

In all a good show.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #145
hark40
Travel Tube Technician

Just watched the Cat with Ten Lives. This is obviously the first in the second part of the series, as we now have Col Lake. A big change in direction for what the aliens are/do with us humans is proposed and obviously opens up a lot of different plots/stories as a result.

A couple of interesting & quick observations (have not gone back and checked with previous episodes). First appearance of the moon mobile rocket launchers (there was a very strong focus in this episode of destroying the moon base which is not as apparant in previous episodes where the aliens just seem to want to come to earth - the interceptors must be taking their toll on the UFOs!!), the "laser" from the UFO appears to be different, probably colour wise. (Also, both the rocket launchers and UFOs are lousy shots. They should get a better targeting system.) Also I noticed a bit of green on the top of the UFOs that I don't think was there earlier. And as always, some excellant explosions.
hark40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote