Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #21
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
In other words, "because it looks cool" has become the standard, instead of "because this might actually work in real life."
Correction: Because THEY IGNORANTLY THINK it looks cool.

If you dare question it you'll get the "it's only a movie" reply which I personally find reinforces the depth's of their ignorance.

"Yes, numbnutz, and that's why you'll only ever be designing tut for rubbish movies and Syd Mead is a wealthy man".
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #22
CR
Science Officer

...To which the reply is "Who's Sid Meed?"
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #23
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

In response to Big Rab...Extraordinary pilots. Have you ever tried landing a huge space ship in the middle of a round house?? That's one I could never work out. In the TBs we always had these most amazing rocket launching scenes (same it UFO etc) and yet TB3 is off and running after a lounge ride and some hugely cool music... into the cool uniform... ready for blast off and away she goes
To land you have none of this ready for re-entry (boy its getting hot) crash down (thank goodness I'm home) instead you get a glorified reverse park. TB1 is somewhat the same, but slightly more believable as it isn't something like 270 ft long.

The whole thing of fixing SID in the UFO ep with great rocket launches etc seemed a little silly when a lifting body could have had a lunar module there in a jiffy
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #24
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
In response to Big Rab...Extraordinary pilots. Have you ever tried landing a huge space ship in the middle of a round house??

You just have to use your mirrors that all
Old 31-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #25
Timeranger
Waste Technician

I thought it was good direction to omit any coverage of SkyDiver's recovery sequence. You're right Big Rab, it would have been bloody tricky like a TB4 pod recovery at sea! (That Virgil was one monster brilliant pilot.) The design of the whole SkyDiver is based around the dramatic launch, and it delivers that so well and so satisfyingly that one doesn't feel too strong a need to ask questions about recovery. In fact I get a little uncomfortable when they refer to recovery docking operations in the series. I think it's one of those things just better left in the dark for the sake of elegance.

Which is not to say, of course, that one couldn't come up with some rationalization if put against the wall. But a really convincing SkyDiver docking scenario would be a good enough trick to warrant a couple of free drinks.

And it's true, DX, that one should never say never. It's only since I got into working with "edgy gear" that I've realized how wild real tech has gotten here and there. They were building actual submarine aircraft launchers as far back as the 1920s. The Japanese made a serious go of such vehicles in WWII with the SenToku I-400 class submarines, which carried three attack planes each!

I imagine that if you put half a dozen surviving Apollo engineers together with the directive to make a SkyDiver that would work, odds would be with them pulling it off with some minimum of design alterations. Those Apollo guys could do anything.
Timeranger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #26
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

on the skydiver issue (one of my all time favourite craft combos)
we know this, there were several of these units, and the budget to go with them (see 1st episode) they had bases like any submarine fleet does, the unit itself is like the space shuttle. the sub allows the aircraft to be stationed in areas not covered by fixed runways, and provides a sea going mobile attack / pursue platform against an airborne foe.
once its launched it does its job and returns to the base, as does its sub where its re fitted like the shuttle and is ready for relaunch as a whole unit.

skydiver is a loaded gun which once its been fired needs reloading, not just fuel but ammo etc etc. it makes sense that thats done back at a base.
Mike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #27
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I don't know about that. They always re-dock at sea and the captain/ pilot always gets congratulated by the crew.

Example when The Australian guy is supposed to shoot down Paul who has been captured by the Aliens. He comes back to Diver mid ocean and is very miserable with the whole thing.
Old 31-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #28
Timeranger
Waste Technician

Default SkyDiver scenario

Mike, the SkyDiver scenario you outline makes perfect sense all around. I'm going to picture it that way henceforth, and just overlook the series references to "replacement Sky Ones" and underwater "docking procedures." In Ordeal, Paul Foster even looks out the window of Sky One to see a replacment flying down, I think.

Your scenario gives us a workable system with exactly the hardware we see, nothing additional needed. Nice. Thanks for that.

It makes me want to see Sky One coming in for a landing on a remote airstrip! Perhaps near the SkyDiver sub pen, which I pictured as being in Scotland.

I was doing research at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Kennedy Space Center a few years ago, and again could not help picturing UFO while watching real space ops. I stood there and thought about it until I could clearly imagine the SHADO Lunar Module coming in from re-entry, sun glinting off it as it adjusts for final approach, flaring at the last second via extensible flaps or something, and then out come the landing gear and she drops and rolls down the runway, pulling to a stop nobly burnt and scarred from another incredible round-trip to the Moon. The crews go out and safe the ship and hook up the disembarking gantry and all that, I could picture it so easily!

That experience made me want to build a big model of the SHADO Lunar Module with landing gear down, and then go out and actually photograph it at the SLF to look like an experiment from around, say, "1980." I was disappointed when I saw UFO again after many years and beheld to my surprise an aerial recovery sequence for the SHADO LM shuttle.

Like SkyDiver, the SHADO LM's brilliant (and proven workable!) launch system should not be pressed into service as an unrealistic recovery system. Perhaps we can overlook those sequences as well as the SkyDiver recovery bits. With these measures, I think we can improve SHADO's realism rating by probably 68% right there!
Timeranger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #29
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

well living in "the lucky country" its already new years eve here and the baccinalian orgy has already begun, a full 24 hours before the rest of you.... hence the term lucky country, works at xmas too, but i digress..........

jethro tulls broadsword and the beast blares in the background, perhaps an indicator of age and taste but its BYO slide rule there im a frod..... bugger ive digressed again...

skydiver, if the caveat is an at sea docking i can make a case for... four skin divers , no reference to an uncircumsised whale... there i go again..

yes well four cables and winch's set up front of the sub, with divers to hook them up to the now bobbing like a duck sky section, once they are reasonably lined up the sub blows its tanks and sinks backwards (into a vertical position)pulling the sky section under , once the cables are tight at say 100 feet under the surface, the sky section is winched backwards into place. then the whole assembly returns to a horizontal position

when you picture it this way, it lines up with my theory of why eagles land thrusters first ie backwards, and thus proves my universal "barse ackwards is best" theory once again

i better go one of my guests is convinced he can play the cat like a set of bagpipes, and im not sure i have the bandages required if he decides to bite down on the tail
Mike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #30
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I forgot about that... New years eve. May it be monumentally better than 20 07