Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default 'I Am Legend' (Warning - SPOILERS)

Saw it - really enjoyed it. Anyone else?

Last edited by Dr Kane; 13-01-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i saw it this week aswell, i thought the images of a deserted New York were very well done and that Will Smith looked suitably strained having lived on his own for so long. liked his choice of transport for chasing deer around the city
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Thought it a lot better than the reviews and forums would have you believe.
Its not the book, more a remake of the Omega Man.
The thing that jarred is how it'd been trimmed.
It happens in a couple of action scenes,
the revelation that the leader of the mutants can still think and lay traps is never referred to after it happens,
there's a TM mention to Green Lantern and Teen Titans - but they're never seen,
and what happens to his family is either trimmed, or they're being more subtle than they have been in the rest of the film.

Thought there a resemblance to Mad Max:

a man struggling to survive in a world that's completely broken down,
only companion a dog,
gets wounded in the leg,
and the end shot is VERY Road warrior.

I'd give it a 6.
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I thought it was stunning - great film. IMHO it makes the Charlton Heston version look campy and insipid (I've never seen the Vincent Price version). It literally moved my dear Mrs to tears.

Discussing it over a drink, we couldn't help seeing it as an allegory - a veiled rebuke to the anti-military, anti-security attitude expressed by Hollywood lately.

Here's why:

(MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! Read no further if you ain't seen it!)

The scenes of a ruined New York are especially resonant in a post-9/11 world.

Colonel Neville is OK as long as he observes security procedures (e.g. sprinkling bleach to kill his scent), but when this is ignored the zombies (representing terrorists?) track him down.

The safe refuge is guarded by the military, and behind the wall is a happy, almost idyllic microcosm of America.

Neville is a military man who gives his life for the greater good - and he does it by taking a grenade, an archetype of military self-sacrifice. Let's not forget Corporal Rafael Peralta of the USMC who really did fall on a grenade to save his buddies in November 2004.

Drawing a longer bow: Neville's weapon is specifically the same model and configuration as that carried by US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. No outrageous Schwarzenegger-style, custom-made gats.

Are we reading too much into an SF/horror flick?
Old 13-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Looked great but several plot holes staring you in the face.

More Spoilers:

1. How did Anna get her truck to Vermont if all the bridges from Manhattan had been destroyed?

2. Since the dark seekers appear to retain some reasoning intelligence, shown by the fact that they copied his quite sophisticated lassoo trap, why do they then embark on an operation to kill just one human that costs them hundreds? This has always bugged me about the Aliens in the Alien films. Either it's mindless instinct or it isn't?

3. How could the dark seekers train infected dogs without the dogs turning on them?

4. If dogs and rats can be infected, why not the rest of the animal kingdom?

5. If the mutant dogs wouldn't cross the sun line because of the UV until the sun moved, why didn't the dark seekers follow the dogs out once the sun set?

(While I'll accept that those infected find bright light painful and UV painful to their skin, frying them in a few seconds is a nonsense).

6. Let's hope that this apparently tiny community in Vermont also has a resident viralogist and lab?

7. Connected to 2, why are the darkseekers so keen to get the remaining humans? There is evidently plenty of easier prey if the whole point is food. If humans are the only food then the darkseekers are going to starve without the need to try to fix them.

8. Hated the quasi religious message the film put forth, the suggestion being that God really did speak to Anna.

9. Allied to several points in the CGI cliche thread, the dark seekers move much too quickly and they display that other CGI cliche of opening their mouths far too wide and screaming.

I will add that the CGI destruction of the bridges and their wreckage seen in the background of several shots was very convincing. Also the general digital plates of deserted New York streets. Despite it's faults, I did find it entertaining.

Oh yeah,

10. How did Anna and her son manage to survive for three years?

Last edited by DX-SFX; 13-01-2008 at 02:56 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

And just how did they rescue Will?
Was that cut out too?
And the symbol painted on the buildings featured on the quad? what was that all about?
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Eagletwo
Weapons Technician

It was good for what it was,... half minded entertainment. I was hoping for a little more depth and solidarity to the original story.

That movie would have been an instant clasic rather than just another flick if they had played the vampire angle rather than the 'man made pathogen' cliche. How many times is that going to be used.

For those that didn't read the book, the 'problem' was vampirism and it was a natural event.

I thought the house fortifications were too neat. The contractor who put them in was certainly neat. /sacrasm.

Barry
Eagletwo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I agree. Half minded entertainment. If they'd crossed the t's and dotted the i's, it would have been much more solid.
Old 14-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Eagletwo
Weapons Technician

I would bet there are more people that would have wanted an adaptation of the book with all its sawdust, Nevele the neighbor and a tie in with the title, than what we finally got.

I also think if time was the constraining factor, that they dropped the ball. People will enjoy a longer movie that tells a fuller story. IMHO.

I hope that when they do 'World War Z', they just make an epic out of it and inclued All the stories, all the flashbacks.

Barry
Eagletwo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
BrianS
Communications Officer

"Cast Away" meets the zombie flick (with a touch of "Dragonfly")
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Brian, brilliant description there from what's been mentioned. One fears that all the thought provoking stuff or the info that makes the thing hold together, has been left out because its believed that bread and circuses is all that's necessary and no one's going to look too closely... I could be wrong of course, but its a silly line to for movie makers to take because the fan base just grows increasingly serious about such movies and will pick them to pieces rather than accept dum dum dee dum dum stuff.

I have a lot of admiration for movie makers who are cramming less into one movie by trying to tell things over 2 or 3. I actually think it lets the story build and allows for the details rather than having to put up with great holes in the plot etc because of companies and money. Movies have tendency to fall through such holes rather than have enough to cover them up.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I liked it right until it very suddenly ended. It seemed that a lot of the plot holes would have been cleared up in a final act similar to the final act of "The Omega Man." But it was not to be. I rarely wish a movie would be longer, but this one would have been better with another 30 minutes.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
ostrein
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini View Post
I liked it right until it very suddenly ended.
I agree. I think the time he has spend in the video store was longer then the end (from the time where the mutants came into the lab until the finish).
I have not read the book, so I was expecting a little more towards the end after it seemed to me that the leader of the mutants was "hunting" for the captured female.

Last edited by ostrein; 14-01-2008 at 06:55 PM.
ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I got the impression that the leader of the mutants was after him specifically after he'd observed Wil Smith capturing his kin to experiment on although that could be erroneous on the grounds that all the mutants looked the same.
Old 14-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Rico1701
Waste Technician

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Will Smith continues to impress me. Were there a few holes - sure. Every movie has them to a degree but they didn't detract me from the main story. Well worth seeing in the theater I thought.
Rico1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

And another one....

11. He'd have had more chance of shooting a deer if he'd simply stopped.
Old 18-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
shadopilot
Communications Officer

I havent seen the movie yet but why was he hunting deer?? Not enough canned goods laying around the city?????
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Correct, hunting, although there is still plenty of canned food around apparently. Some of it must be past it's sell by date though if it's been three years.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shado driver View Post
I havent seen the movie yet but why was he hunting deer?? Not enough canned goods laying around the city?????
Wouldn't you rather eat fresh venison than canned beans? Remember that Neville spits the dummy when Anna eats his bacon. I think the man just likes his meat.
Old 23-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #20
AceMartini
Communications Officer

As of today, "I Am Legend" has earned $248,815,030.00. Yes, 1/4 of a billion dollars. It is now in the #45 spot for top earning movies of all time.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote