Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Default building a landspeeder

I'm building a series of Star Wars kits for friends of mine (they don't know it, yet). One showed interest in the landspeeder, but the only kits I could find were fairly expensive (and apparently out of production) resin kits. I looked around and found that the Hasbro toy landspeeder actually looks quite good. I picked one up on eBay for cheap (these also seem to be out of production).

It looks to be externally accurate, but with a very toy-like cockpit. It also has springy wheels on the bottom to make it seem to float. The paint job is not very accurate, but I'm going to repaint, anyway. The whole thing is held together with screws and no glue at all. I've disassembled it to remove the wheels and it comes apart into all the assemblies you'd want in a kit.

I'll be stripping the paint, filling in the wheel and screw holes on the bottom, rebuilding the cockpit and giving it an accurate paint job. It should build into a nice model.

It came with a 3" or so Luke figure that is very much a toy. I'd like to find better looking Luke and Obi Wan figures. Any ideas?

Has anyone done anything like this? Has anyone built any kind of landspeeder? Suggestions?
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

If it came with the really old Luke figure from the 1970's & 80's, then I see what you mean about toy-like. Also, if the Luke figure was from the first run of 1990's figures, he looks more like He-Man than Luke... for some incredibly stupid reason, they manufactured the intital 90's runs with muscle-bound freakishness, a problem later corrected.
Current figures in the line look very accurate, and can be articulated into nearly any pose a real human can make; just pose the fig, fill in the joints & seams and re-paint.
Keep checking local stores that sell those toys (in the US, Target, K-Mart, Wal Mart for common examples) to see if there's a Luke in his ANH garb. I saw one a few months ago. (Same goes for Obi Wan.)
The figures approximate at 1/18th scale, and there are now military action figures in that scale (mostly WWII), but using them would require a ton of modification. Try to find the Star Wars figs. Check second-hand stores or thrift shops, such as Goodwill. Sometimes used stuff turns up in those kinds of places for relatively little money.

Last edited by CR; 16-01-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added comments
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I've never been much into the figures. A friend gave me a Yoda figure in high school (he's been sitting in a diecast Mercedes 300 for about 20 years) and I have a small R2 somewhere, but that's about it. I'll have to check around and see what I can find. I'd like to keep it from looking like a toy, as much as possible.
Old 16-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
CR
Science Officer

Toy-R-Us is another outlet to check.
Trust me, Ace, they look a lot less toy-like now than they ever did. Even the astromech units are llike small models now with molded in detail instead of a sticker (plus they are the correct size), and those range over a wide variety... R2, R3, R4 & R5 units, many in different color schemes.
Someone on Starship Modeler took a couple of the Rebel Commando action figures and posed them to look like they were in combat for a small 'Battle of Endor' diorama. I'll try to find a link so you can see the detail level, most of which is in the figures right off the shelf.

Here's the link: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/galle..._takecover.htm
The guy swapped some of the details with other figs, as you'll read in his description. I actually have some Star Wars figs myself, so I might be able to snap a pic or two to give you an idea of the detail level. (No Luke nor Obi Wan, though.)

Last edited by CR; 16-01-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added link & comment
Old 17-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Ace I have a set of those figures. They are the commemorative set for the DVD release. Sadly Obi Wan wont sit in the car, but I think Luke would, and as CR has said they're really good. Our local Collectables toy store has lots of figures so if you got really stuck I could probably get you something.... then it has to get to the US, but that's not impossible. Obviously something at home would be far easier, but you have something to fall back on.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

If you're thinking of doing a Mos Eisley dio, the new Stormtrooper action figures have a superb range of articulation and even a removeable helmet! They can be pretty cheap at Toys R Us as well.

I did see an R2 action figure that also lit up and had sound effects, but not sure if it's still available.

Again, the quality of the newer action figures is a lot better than the ones I had as a kid.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Oh, forgot about the light-up & sound-chipped R2. I don't really care for those features, but I guess the "it doesn't do anything, thereby forcing me to use my imagination" crowd of kids needed some kind of selling point.
Ace, PM me with any specific figs you might be looking for, and I'll keep my eyes open for them.
Old 17-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Thanks everybody. I wouldn't mind at all having Luke, Obi Wan, R2 and 3PO in the speeder. I haven't looked at all around here, yet. I'll let you know what I find.

This probably won't end up in a diorama. I don't know what kind of space my friend will have for display. A nice acrylic stand for it to sit on should do the trick.
Old 18-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

But this will be good practice for when you make a landspeeder dio for yourself, right?
Old 18-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Sadly, my entire workshop right now is just a small desk from Ikea and my display space is what fits in and on top of three Ikea glass cabinets. Boo hoo. No dioramas in the near future, anyway.

In fact, the photos I took of the Tempest involved shoving everything on my work desk to one side to make a bare spot for the photos.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

The Landspeeder has always been one of my favourite Star Wars designs . I too have considered re-painting one of the old toys , but the one major innaccuracy of the model is the fact that it is too deep in the body/chassis . I dont have mine to hand ( not that I'd chop that one up anyhow!) so I can't remember how it would break down , but I should imagine it would have a top and a bottom ? It would be relatively simple to cut down these parts to a more accurate size , but you'd need to replace or re-fabricate the silver radiator -type doo-dah piece at the front of the speeder. The question is though , how accurate do you want your model to be? I don't know how skilled you are as a modeller , but have you considered scratch-building it ? The thing with the speeder is that the full sized prop was built as a working vehicle , so it's design was relatively basic , all the shapes involved were pretty simple and although it would be time consuming , as long as you had good reference pics , I imagine it'd be a straightforward job . You could even use the existing engine pods , which would mean you'd only have to fabricate the chassis .

Last edited by thundergod; 01-02-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spotted grammatical error
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote