Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #21
CR
Science Officer

I'll start up a new thread about warships when I get close to having pics. Jorge, feel free to start one up now, if you like... You could re-post your Mighty Mo pics there to get things going! (I'll give you more info about those ships I mentioned then.)

I don't have much in the way of completed real space stuff. Many of my kits were parts fodder for scratchbuilding/kitbashing projects, and I don't have the budget to buy higher-end replicas of the likes shown here so far. I do have several toys & toy-like replicas, which I've used to give talks to elementary school students about space exploration. (The kids love being able to look at and hold a replica as I talk about it!)

Edit: I started the ships thread up, but didn't have any pics to post... see you over there!

Last edited by CR; 25-12-2007 at 07:56 PM.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #22
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Default Another one for the "wish list"...

Just look at this beauty:

“One of the greatest new replicas on the market is this Apollo Saturn V Rocket and Launch Tower. This model stands 32 inches tall and 8 inches wide. A great display piece for anyone who loves Apollo. Pre-painted and assembled this replica is going to be a classic. It comes complete with the launch tower and launch base ready for display in any office, museum, science center, private collection or big event.
32" tall and 8 " wide”

http://www.spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=MYKYNS5

…only 12 more months until Christmas…better be a good boy!
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #23
CR
Science Officer

Looks nice. What scale is that?
Old 27-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #24
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Looks nice. What scale is that?
I suspect 1:200...
Old 27-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #25
CR
Science Officer

I was going to guess around 1:144, but I don't have my 1:144 Sat V kit to campare to a soda can right now to check.

Old 27-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #26
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I assume that's 32" including the tower so it's got to be a smaller scale than 1/144th. The proportions are wrong though. That first stage is decidedly stretched and/or the roll pattern markings are placed terribly between the first and second stage.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #27
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
The proportions are wrong though. That first stage is decidedly stretched and/or the roll pattern markings are placed terribly between the first and second stage.
That was throwing me off, too, but only subconsciously. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 23-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #28
tx4
Medical Technician

Eagletransporter: Jorge, wow, cool collection. The Saturn V rockets in two different scales are great, and I really like that Lunar Module a lot! Nice.

STS: cool stack and also 747/Columbia combo. I had a choice between buying a larger-scale stack (Discovery) or a 747/Orbiter combo in a similar scale, and in a tough choice, opted for the former, though one of these days, I'd like one of the latter too.

One of the most fascinating pieces is that Code 3 lunar rover diorama. Very intricate-looking, with the two cameras, wires, dust on the wheels, wheel tracks, communication dish, and good detail on the astronaut as well -- including getting that highly-reflective glare-shield right!

Dr. Kane: Neat stuff! I especially liked the Ariane rocket and Mars Rover! Dang, I should look for a Hubble Space Telescope model one of these days too.

Enjoyable thread!
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #29
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx4 View Post
Dr. Kane: Neat stuff! I especially liked the Ariane rocket and Mars Rover! Dang, I should look for a Hubble Space Telescope model one of these days too.
Glad you liked 'em. The Ariane IV is the 1/288 Heller kit from 1998 or thereabouts; it was my first model since I was a teenager. (It took an inexpensive real space model to make me return to the hobby.) The photo flatters my modelling skills.

The Sojourner rover is the Hot Wheels toy, released soon after the Pathfinder mission arrived on Mars (1997). It came in a set with a toy version of the lander and the aeroshell that enclosed it.

The Hubble Telescope is a cheap toy sold under the name 'Space Voyagers', or something like that - picked up in a Melbourne toyshop a couple of years ago. It's just over 5cm (2") long.

I still have the Heller 1/125 Mir kit in the cupboard; I was waiting until I'd stopped moving around before building it, because I think the finished model would never survive a move. Since I may have to move to find work, it looks like I won't be starting it just yet.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #30
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Thank you tx4.
Unfortunately Code 3 Collectibles no longer carry models of the US Space Program…they’ve also discontinued their Star Wars line and now only concentrate on Fire & Rescue vehicles (which are outstanding!). Their Lunar Rover is excellent, one of the most accurate display models I’ve seen so far. It’s still available on eBay but at ridiculous prices…

One of my (many) plans is to add some Russian spacecrafts to my collection (Buran stack is a dream)…unfortunately they’re hard to find.

Dr Kane’s Ariane caught my attention as well…very nice rocket…same regarding that Gemini...

Jorge

Old 24-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #31
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Here's a close-up of the Mars rover for tx4:

Mixed metal and plastic construction, measures approx 4cm (1.5") across the top panel. Wheels & suspension move & the antenna folds down. Nice little toy.
Old 24-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #32
CR
Science Officer

I think the Heller 1/125 Mir kit is missing a module or two... when the kit was produced, the real Mir wasn't in its final configuration. (Well, OK, its final configuration is numerous broken, burned & scattered pieces in the Pacific Ocean... I meant its final configuration in orbit!)
Old 24-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #33
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I think the Heller 1/125 Mir kit is missing a module or two... when the kit was produced, the real Mir wasn't in its final configuration.
You're right; as far as I can tell, it doesn't have Piroda, Spektr or the docking compartment for Shuttle ops. It therefore represents the early '90s configuration.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #34
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
Here's a close-up of the Mars rover for tx4:
[....]
Mixed metal and plastic construction, measures approx 4cm (1.5") across the top panel. Wheels & suspension move & the antenna folds down. Nice little toy.
Indeed, it does look very nice, with a good set of details (including its moving parts) for a 4cm toy. Thanks for posting the close-up!

-tx4

Last edited by tx4; 02-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #35
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
I think the Heller 1/125 Mir kit is missing a module or two... when the kit was produced, the real Mir wasn't in its final configuration. (Well, OK, its final configuration is numerous broken, burned & scattered pieces in the Pacific Ocean... I meant its final configuration in orbit!)
Yes, it was based on a mockup at the time on display in Toulouse, and that was prior to the launch of Spektr and Piroda. It was out of date by the the time it hit the shops.

However the 1/144 Revell kit (and the Armageddon one for that matter), has all the modules, albeit extremely simplified.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #36
CR
Science Officer

I think several of us have used those Revell Mir modules in more than a few kitbashes.