SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #101
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Can't remember who but one of the interviewees was holding it and later it was held up on wires in the background.
The interviewee was using it to explain why Thunderbird Two couldn't fly. Obviously, that one couldn't, unlike the real one !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #102
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
The interviewee was using it to explain why Thunderbird Two couldn't fly. Obviously, that one couldn't, unlike the real one
Of course, and he specifically mentioned it was because the wings swept forward!!! He might like to explain to NASA why one of their aircraft with forward sweeping wings can't fly then!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #103
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yes, for an 'expert' to not know that forward facing wings are a reality was surprising. Apparently they are more efficient but require greater strength - I think I saw some on a plane 25 years ago!

The puppet guys had their stuff in the studio with the actors so I also thought that was the plan for mine as well, however when I arrived they were just filming my stuff on its own for insert material.
I was surprised when they told me that they wanted to film my stuff 'in action' against bluescreen to insert into the show - it might have been an idea to have told me that before.
It did occur to me that the glossy models might reflect the bluescreen and interfere with the effect, also that the windows might do the same and that the actual blue colour on the models might be a problem. But hey I'm not an expert. Still I did worry more when none of them even had any wire to hang the models with and had to borrow mine, planning what planning! I think the two flying shots of TB2 & TB3 look about as well done as effects from the worst Tom Baker Doctor Who shows.

Still at least they had the PE stuff, I believe it may have been given to them so they probably felt it had to be used.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson

Last edited by Mark42; 03-01-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #104
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Yes I remember that, it was the Russian Sukhoi SU-47 Berkut. It was similar to the Grumman X-29. Both had the forward swept wings which yielded a higher maximum lift coefficient. (I think Thunderbird 2 may have needed it too)

It's NATO reporting name was 'FIRKIN' , I can only guess that western humour played a part there.

Last edited by JJL567; 05-01-2008 at 10:26 AM.
JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #105
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Someone forgot to tell this guy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P0byYl8AQWU

Swept forward wings are less prone to stalling too. The tips tend to go first so the nose drops which in turn stops the rest of the wing from stalling. The biggest problem is making them structurally stiff enough.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #106
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Thank goodness for that, it appears Iconic Replicas and their stand-off scale methods came to good use.

JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #107
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Apart from the Junkers 287 which appeared in about 1938, the Grumman X29 and the Su37 (known as the SU47 by the Russians), Wikipedia lists the following:

The CZAW Parrot

The HFB-320 business jet, of which 50 were built, first flew in 1964. The purpose of the forward-swept wing was to allow an unimpeded cabin without a large wing spar passing through it),

The Saab Safari, a 1969 military trainer, used slightly forward-swept wings to increase visibility.

The Scaled Composites Boomerang, a prototype piston twin design which would allow for safe handling in the event of a single engine failure. Only one exists as of 2007.

The Cessna NGP, a prototype single-engine aircraft intended as the first in a family that will eventually replace the venerable Cessna 172 and Cessna 182, also uses a forward-swept wing.

Overall, I was disappointed by the whole 'Thunderbirds Night'. Unfortunately the BBC only seems to do 'lightweight' these days. Although it was nice to see FAB 1 driving through London, did we really need the Gerry and Sylvia lookalikes 'recreating ' the Premiere?
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #108
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Jumping back up the thread, no we weren`t paid, we gave freely of our time to support the project. We were promised a credit for our contribution, but we didn`t get one....
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #109
w8cmp
Science Officer

From the UFO Mailing List:

The BBC recently launched a free of charge iplayer 'watch again' service to allow for catching up of missed programmes via the internet. The relevant link is as follows, with the programme watchable for the next 6 days. For copyright reasons, this might not work for IP addresses based outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/it...n_pid=b008m86r
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #110
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
Although it was nice to see FAB 1 driving through London, did we really need the Gerry and Sylvia lookalikes 'recreating ' the Premiere?
It wasn't even a recreation - the full size Fab One that was built in the 60's was for the premiere of Thunderbird 6, not Thunderbirds are Go, and it broke down before it got to the cinema. I believe Gerry and Sylvia had to take a taxi.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #111
w8cmp
Science Officer

The FAB 1 shown in the documentary was shown at the 'Countdown To Disaster' Fanderson con, and was I believe based on an American car of some sort.

There was a more faithful full size replica made at the time of the movies, which last I heard was on display at the Cars of the Stars Motor Museum in Keswick (or it was the last time I saw it). That was based on a Bedford coach as I remember. I think it was featured in a Fanderson mag at one time...

Just looked it up on the Cars of the Stars website and they say:

FAB1 - Thunderbirds
This seventeen foot monster was built to promote the Thunderbirds film "Thunderbirds are Go!" and used by Gerry Anderson to arrive at the films London premiere. It is a life size copy of Lady Penelopes car FAB1 from the TV puppet series. The car was completly wrecked when purchased by Cars of the Stars and was rebuilt in 1989 by Mellor Coach Craft in Rochdale, England.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #112
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have seen it and it is a pretty poor copy. It would be fun to get RR (or is it BMW or whoever owns them now) to make a real one based on the dimensions of the "real" thing. Again, Mark42 and various others could provide that..... And it would be good for their name... instantly recognisable and still the RR
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #113
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
Just looked it up on the Cars of the Stars website and they say:

FAB1 - Thunderbirds
This seventeen foot monster was built to promote the Thunderbirds film "Thunderbirds are Go!" and used by Gerry Anderson to arrive at the films London premiere. It is a life size copy of Lady Penelopes car FAB1 from the TV puppet series. The car was completly wrecked when purchased by Cars of the Stars and was rebuilt in 1989 by Mellor Coach Craft in Rochdale, England.
Afraid Cars of the Stars have got their facts wrong - I remember seeing the full size original just after it was built outside a factory in Biggleswade in the spring/early summer of 1968. It was built to promote the Thunderbird 6 film for a tour with Penelope lookalike Penny Snow. It also made an appearance on Blue Peter around about June the same year - and if it had been around for the earlier film's premiere there would undoubtedly have been coverage of it arriving.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #114
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I have seen it and it is a pretty poor copy. It would be fun to get RR (or is it BMW or whoever owns them now) to make a real one based on the dimensions of the "real" thing. Again, Mark42 and various others could provide that..... And it would be good for their name... instantly recognisable and still the RR
BMW have made a couple of offers for FAB 1. However, their motives are hardly altruistic; the German owners would like to have the car destroyed.
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #115
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

With what they had at their disposal, they could have done a lot better.

Fortunately, they didn't so there's still room for my magnificent octopus
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #116
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #117
Parker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
As naff as it comes across, I still hope it will play here at some point.

Rest easy, Parker. I clearly remember reading a comment at the time on exactly that issue. It was explained that Derek had finished up on Superman and moved on before that part of the sequence was done. It was handled by a different crew.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Parker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #118
Dave
Communications Officer

I see last night they had another interview with Sylvia about the Thunderbirds fashions. They also showed the clip of that futuristic fashions show shot in the 60's featuring UFO.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #119
w8cmp
Science Officer

OK people...I'm sorry it's taken a few weeks to get organised, but please would you PM me if you want a copy of the Anderson programme on DVD together with the Stingray compliation episode (both recorded from TV).

Please send me your details so I can send it to you...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #120
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I see last night they had another interview with Sylvia about the Thunderbirds fashions. They also showed the clip of that futuristic fashions show shot in the 60's featuring UFO.
But did you read the credits and spot who the editor was?

That was a nice easy day's work!
Eagle-2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote