Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
CR
Science Officer

Default Terran Trade Authority (TTA) Handbooks

I originally started this during a response to w8cmp in the Trigan Empire thread, but realized it should have had its own board. So, I'm making one here. I'll start by copying the relevant part of my post, and by copying a response to that from doon. (Apologies to the moderator and everyone else for the thread hijack on the Trigan Empire board! )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Here's my original post:

The other books w8cmp mentioned are part of the Terran Trade Authority Handbooks, of which there were four volumes: Spacecraft 2000-2100 AD, Great Space Battles, Spacewreck, and the last volume Starliners.
There are a couple websites devoted to the TTA books. One of them has computer graphic representations of the artwork from the books, which is neat because the artwork looks more consistent that way. Here's the link.
http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/index.html
On that particular site is a ship that looks remarkably Space: 1999-influenced.
http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/pathfinder.html
Gee, that support truss looks familiar...
The other site makes up its own art based on the books, and fills in some of the gaps in the original book series. Great stuff. http://www.g7sta.demon.co.uk/dwsteve5.html

By the way, I always liked those old TTA books, and still have them.

doon's response to this (regarding the link I provided to the S99-ish Pathfinder spacecraft) was:
Those pod, er mean bay markings don't look familiar tho

Again, sorry for the mix-up. The non-Trigan Empire stuff I made on that thread can be deleted if necessary.
Old 13-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Hey, to make up for it, I'll hijack my own thread and mention a different series of books: Galactic Encounters. There were six of them that came out around the same time as the TTA series, had some of the very same artwork in them, and were actually written by the same author using a different name! (No wonder they seemed so similar...)
Anyway, given all that, I figure we could discuss them here as well.
Old 13-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Strangely enough I recently donated my TTA books (and one Galactic Encounters book) to someone who had lost their collection in Katrina. I figured they had been sitting in my dad's attic so long, that they ought to go to someone who would appreciate them more ...

Good stuff though, I always loved the look of the Galactic Queen (or was it the Martian Queen)?
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
CR
Science Officer

The Interstellar Queen was the one that had a swan-neck or goose-neck front end. http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/iqueen.html
The Martian Queen was different, and resembles something from an anime show. http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/mqueen.html
It always reminded me a little of a Starblazers (Space Cruiser Yamato) ship... specifically, Astra's spaceship from Iscandar in the very first episode. Of course, once I got the dvds of Starblazers (and found pics on the web), I realized that the Martian Queen really didn't look like that ship after all. http://groups.msn.com/AllThingsYamat...o&PhotoID=1000

Personally, I also liked the Interstellar Queens, as well as the Starblade. http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/starblade.html

Old 13-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

I remember these books soo well. Back in the early 80's, I made models of the Interstellar Queen, the Galactic Queen, Starblade and the Goblin. Sadly I had to dispose of them about 16 years ago, but if I find the photos, I'll post them. The designs in these books were a real inspiration for me, but it has been many years since I have scratchbuilt anything. However, my first scracthbuild is finally underway.....a pod for the Eagle!

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

It's funny, so many people seem to have been influenced by these books and the ships shown in them. Some of the designs were downright bizarre, but many were cool looking (even though they may not have been functional-looking). I guess the series and the art it contained filled a niche that those of us who were around remember fondly.

As for other specific things I liked, the foldouts in Great Space Battles were fairly cool, especially the Peter Elson one showing an exploration crew examining the ruined cockpit of a long lost military craft on a desert planet. (I've seen a link somewhere, but I don't have time to find it right now... it's at a site made by a fan of Elson's work.)

By the way, tak, that was very generous of you to donate your books... I hope all is going well for the person you donated them to!!
Old 13-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Yeah, well, he lost his collection in the flooding and it was something I could do to help.

It was the Interstellar Queen that was my favourite - I also liked the deckplans on the inside covers.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I had all of those books as well, unfortunately they were thown out by my parents when I got married and moved out. They had not realised I had just left them there for safe keeping while I sorted myself out.

I had completely forgotton about them until this thread appeared.

The thing is my mother also threw out my two full sets of original Star Wars blue and red bordered bubblegum cards , a full set of Superman bubblegum cards, a full set of 24 Chris Foss artwork postcards and a full set of 24 Rodney Mathews postcard sized artwork prints.

Mothers eh, who'd have em.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Here's another place that has some TTA info...
http://www.khantazi.org/Rec/TTABooks/TTABooks.html

Old 14-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
w8cmp
Science Officer

I loved these books...I have them somewhere in my loft (attic) but haven't read them for about 15 years !

Gotta dig them out again...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #12

Default TTA Books resurrected!

Hi All,

I'm the guy behind the TTA pics at
http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/

The truss section on Pathfinder IX is based on the Eagle Transporter one... well spotted! I used it because a. it looked good, and b. as a sort of homage - I didn't know if anyone would notice it, but I'm glad you did!

There's news on the TTA front - the rights to the books have been bought by a Canadian RPG company, and they're in the process of producing an updated version of the first book, which should be in the shops in June, to be followed by an RPG. The guys are fellow enthusiasts, so the TTA is in safe hands. The TTA universe will be expanded to include more info and history, and some new ships and stuff.

Just for info: the original books sold 800,000 copies - there must be a lot of attics and basements that have those books in them!

Adrian Mann
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Default Re: TTA Books resurrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There's news on the TTA front - the rights to the books have been bought by a Canadian RPG company, and they're in the process of producing an updated version of the first book, which should be in the shops in June, to be followed by an RPG. The guys are fellow enthusiasts, so the TTA is in safe hands. The TTA universe will be expanded to include more info and history, and some new ships and stuff.
Adrian Mann
That's great news, Adrian... looks I'll be buying some new books when they come out.
Thanks, by the way, for your TTA website. I stumbled onto it several months ago, and check back every few weeks to see the latest updates (or to admire the existing stuff). You've done a great job with the pictures and the format; keep it up!

Just a side note regarding the TTA books and role playing games, as they apply to my own history... when I was a young teenager, I used to use my Star Wars figures and playsets to "act out" scenes inspired by several of the paintings in Spacewreck. I'd set up 'dioramas' and play out the action I imagined it took to get the scene to a 'wrecked' state for future explorers to find. (OK, so I was a dorky teenager who still played with Star Wars toys... I also played RPGs back in the day, but have pretty much outgrown those due to a lack of time, lack of other players and a lack of interest on my part. I will, however, get the upcoming TTA RPG, for reference material if for no other reason.)
Old 20-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Back to my reference several days ago about the Starblade from Spacecraft 2000-2100 AD, which I linked to on Adrian Mann's site... I like the fact that the picture on the site omits the shuttle craft which, in the original painted artwork, was departing the Starblade. I always thought that shuttle looked too clunky in relation to Starblade's elegant lines. (Just trust me! Sorry I don't have a link to the original artwork.)
Old 21-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #15
aemann
Alphan

Default Starblade update

I agree about the Starblade shuttle - it is a bit clunky! However, for the book illustration, I've put it back in! That may or may not be a mistake, but I really wanted to get close to the originals where I can. You can tell that a lot of the artists back in those days didn't build models of the ships before they painted them... some of them just don't fit together when you try to model tham so I've had to take some liberties here and there.

Re: New ships: I've nearly finished the Gourmet asteroid miner, and the K34 Bee. I'll post when they're up.

On another more Space:1999 note - I now live in Hungary, and they show it on Hungarian TV (dubbed into Hungarian of course, if you can imagine such a thing). It was a real shock to see it! And it still looks pretty good too.
aemann is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote