Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
w8cmp
Science Officer

Default Acrylic Paints - pain in the *ss !

I've just started experimenting with acrylic paints for the first time in my modelling 'career', having used trusty Humbrol enamels and various car paints up to now.

I got myself a bunch of Xtracrylics from Hannants and was initially pleased with the way they went on with the airbrush etc (painting my Polar Lights NCC-1701 TV series Enterprise). I love the way you can clean up with water, which makes the whole painting process quicker and easier.

However I've found that this coat of paint is EXTREMELY fragile and chips at the slightest thing touching it. I've now got lots of little touch-ups were the initial sprayed coat has chipped - and it doesn't look too good. It seems the paint has not adhered well to the plastic - even after a week of curing.

My question is whether anyone else has any experience of acrylics and this sort of problem. Was I supposed to undercoat with a primer first, and would this make any difference ?

I have several of these kits to make, so shall try something else with the next one I think...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

I've used both Games Workshop acrylics and Tamiya (although with a brush, not an airbrush). I always prime the surface first (usually with either automotive primer or Games Workshop skull white primer).

Problems: The paint going on too thickly (especially GW's Chaos Black); the Tamiya being almost a glaze on the first coat and needing at least three coats for a solid colour (plus the Tamiya stinks to high heaven).

Benefits: easy clean with water and quick drying time.

Hope this helps.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

Just masked an area with Tamiya masking tape (low tack) and painted the second colour.

Imagine my disgust when the masking tape pulled up a nice neat strip of the original paint, exposing the plastic beneath

Looks like I've got to strip the Enterprise back to bare plastic and start all over again...

Any quick way to remove acrylic paint...or should I just use loads of sellotape ???
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
doon
Communications Officer

W8cmp,
Try the really good windex and add a little amonia If this doesn't work, use acrylic airbrush cleaner.
As far as the airbrushed acrylics, I have no experience with the type your using, however, Com art medea's paint work great I use them for my illustrations, but I have used them on models now and with the exception of one eagle that had an underay of testors, the paint holds as well as enamel. Probly already know this but just in case, wash the model down just prior to any painting. The slightest bit of oil (or dna, it seems) will cause the paint not to adhere properly. Try and have some way of holding the model without skin contact, gloves, piping ect.
Best 'o luck
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
My question is whether anyone else has any experience of acrylics and this sort of problem. Was I supposed to undercoat with a primer first, and would this make any difference ?
Had the same trouble. I tried Humbrol acrylics ONCE and never been back to them for the same reasons you've discovered. I imagine putting a matt white primer (not water based acrylic) on first would probably help but I can't rid myself of this nagging doubt about the adhesion of a water based paint on plastic. I know some people swear by Tamiya acrylics but they just don't have the thumping adhesive quality of enamels even when thinned with alcohol. There's no chemical bonding going on with the substrate and neither is there a mechanical bond by absorbtion. I'd defy anyone to lift an enamel paint from a kit (made of anything with the possible exception of vinyl) with a bit of masking tape. Both enamels and the plastic kits they're designed for are both derived from related petroleum based products which does suggest a chemical compatibilty.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I use a lot of acrylic paints for the 28mm war game miniatures that I paint, for that type of metal/plastic model the acryilic paint is far superior. I regualry use Games Workshop, Humbrol, Vallejo, Inscribe and occasionally the odd Tamiya colour or two.

I have painted acrtlics onto plastic kits loads of times before with absolutely no problems, in fact I painted the AMT/ERTL Enterprise models, 1701, 1701A, 1701D and the Excelsior exclusively by brush with acrylics.

However, every plastic model that I ever have painted with acrylics has been given light coat of grey primer first, then a coat of white primer if the paintwork is white or very light, and as I said I have never had a problem. Although that being said a plastic model painted with acrylics will tend to chip more easily than if you had used other tyrps of paint, in my experience anyway.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote