Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #41
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Hated it for that reason. It doesn't matter how the effect is done, if the transformation it portrays is obviously impossible, it loses any credibility. Then again, we are talking Roger Moore era so jokey is the flavour of the period.
At the time we were kids, and the Lotus just looked great and it looked right. It was much later that I thought that the whole transformation couldn't work. But that was never a reason to hate it. Hate a Lotus? NEVER!

Quote:
Define good. I think there's a contradiction in that sentence. One of the reasons I like the Anderson stuff is that the technology never wandered into meaningless fantasy. There was no need for those helmets in Red Planet. It was a new computer effect looking for somewhere to be used othewise known as a gimmick.
I think a design can look good even if a feature is shown that doesn't work. So just think of the Red Planet helmet without the opening fx. I think it looked good. They just would have to take it off like any other helmet...

The SKYDIVER and the UFO Interceptors are some of my favourite crafts, but sorry, they are just not possible. But that's another story.

Sometimes technical innovations which look completely exagerated are shown in movies: An Aston Martin that can be turned invisible. Hmm, I thought when seeing that 007 movie. Some months later I read in the newspaper that the British Army is in fact developing a stystem that -when finally completed- will turn tanks into invisible tanks...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Hated the invisible Aston too, and it was another CGI gimmicky effect looking for an outlet.

LOTUS.

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.

Quote:
Some months later I read in the newspaper that the British Army is in fact developing a stystem that -when finally completed- will turn tanks into invisible tanks...
No, not the way it's portrayed in the Bond movie. The Japanese developed the technology that took a video image of the location behind the subject and showed it on the front of the subject. It was high tech camouflage but any movement gave the game away and the image wasn't that great anyway. What the Bond movie portrayed was fantasy and again the Bond fans who take Bond seriously hated it.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #43
Mola Rob
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
I suppose y'all know that Bond XXII is going to be called 'Quantum of Solace'. Can't say that title rolls off the tongue, but I guess we'll get used to it. Should be a great flick, though!
I don't think I will ever get used to that title, sounds like it should be an artsy independent film with characters who sit around and talk about the meaning of life.
Mola Rob is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #44
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:

CGI cliches:

1. Horizon to horizon armies. The guys charging at the back will be shagged before they ever get near the enemy.

2. Cars leaping and rolling over the heads of characters missing them by inches.

3. Characters defying the laws of gravity to make clearly impossible leaps.

4. Related to number one, practically anything multiplied by a bazillion does not make something more impressive. Sometimes less is more.

5. Large objects weighing several tons being hurled around the place with all the inertia of a small marshmallow.

YUP. Tell it.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #45
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Without rehashing everything said here, no miniatures in this new film is a travesty..

I personally believe there is going to be a real resurgence in miniatures very soon.. The eye sees and knows what it knows...
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote