Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #61
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

As suspected... and yes the batcopter as well. Quvik, to za batcopter herr Colonel!!!
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #62
CR
Science Officer

Red Dawn, wherein the Russian helicopters survive direct RPG hits to the interior, and maintain flight? Wherein the flatcar trainload of weapons near the film's end feature 'Soviet' light artillery made from WWII German PAK40's? Funny how some things stick out after all these years. (BTW, did that film use Harriers as MiGs?)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #63
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I know 'Red Dawn' is a silly film; I'm merely commenting on the realism of the mocked-up vehicles.

A standard RPG-7 round is designed to punch small holes in armour; it doesn't explode in a huge ball of flame. (Some thermobaric and fragmentation rounds have been designed, but they weren't around in the early '80s.) A helicopter like the Hind could possibly survive one going into the passenger cabin. Engine, driveshaft or rotors would be another matter, though (see: 'Black Hawk Down').

IIRC, the only jet aircraft you see in the film are a) stock footage of an F-111 and b) a mocked-up Yak-38 'Forger', a maritime VTOL jet (very roughly, the Soviet counterpart of the Harrier). What a carrier-based aircraft is doing there is never explained.

Last edited by Dr Kane; 26-03-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Yak-38 was VTOL not VSTOL, and I'm an aviation nerd
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #64
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I only ever saw the first Iron Eagle, I have not got a clue as to what the others were like as I was so put off by the first movie.
"Play the tape... Fly high and play the tape!"

A quick Top Gun knock off, but fun otherwise. You didnt miss much when it came to the sequels, they killed the main character (Matt) off in the first three minutes of the second film...
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #65
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Red Dawn,
Another great film. That summer was ruled by two films "Red Dawn", and "Revenge of the Nerds"... as a teenager, I had a ball..

Linking it back to machinery, did you know that an FBI agent saw one of the russian tanks being moved to a location, and actually thought there was an invasion going on! THe FBI arrived on set, before things were worked out...

John Milius knows how to make a right wing movie. Its also been said that members of congress would play that movie to illustrate the threat the US was under at the time.

And final fact... When Saddam Hussein was captured in Iraq, the two teams that went in to scout the area were called Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2. The mission name - Operation : Red Dawn.

Old 26-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #66
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I saw a badly edited version of Life Force on tv. But I enjoyed part of it: Matilda May. (Sadly, being edited, my enjoyment wasn't as full as it could have been.)
I recently saw LIFEFORCE as a 70mm print in the US at American Cinematech. At the end of the movie, someone stood up, and said that Tob Hooper was in the audience. He had come down to see the screening.

There was a informal Q&A, where someone asked the simple question "How did you get Matilda May to agree to do more than half the film naked?"

Tobe Hooper just answer it straight... "I asked her, and she agreed!"

The crowd cheared, and most of the male audience members (including me) jumped to out feet in a standing ovation!

I must say, the film is something to see in 70mm. I originally saw it on video, but its another thing up on the big screen.
Old 26-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #67
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, Dr Kane & Alpha's Last Child, for the various bits of info!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #68
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha's last child View Post
And final fact... When Saddam Hussein was captured in Iraq, the two teams that went in to scout the area were called Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2. The mission name - Operation : Red Dawn.
Yes - John Milius was delighted.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #69
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quatermass and the Pit (original BBC with Andre Morrell) and Hammer (1967 with Andrew Keir)
Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass II (both Hammer with Brian DonLevy)

Quatermass Experiment (BBC) no longer exists other than two episodes...

Anything Blakes 7 (although not films)

and of course my Sammy ep.III when finished!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #70
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Brian Donlevy. I just want to smack him. He plays Quatermass like a tough guy mafia boss.

Quatermass and the Pit (original BBC with Andre Morrell) and Hammer (1967 with Andrew Keir)

Yep, thumbs up to both of those. I think the BBC one is slightly better but if you don't have three hours, the Hammer film version stands in nicely.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #71
Stu73
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Brian Donlevy. I just want to smack him. He plays Quatermass like a tough guy mafia boss.
You got that right
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #72
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

Well, thats it. Watched the last Episode of Qutermass (circa 1979) on ITV 4 last week. Possibly the bleakest ending you could imagine! They don't make 'em like that anymore. John Mills walking despairingly around Wembly stadium through human ash after 40,000 people have just been incinerated! The sky with an eerie yellow tint caused by pollution caused by the same ash due to similar happenings occurring across the globe. Even after getting on for 30 years this series had an unnerving quality about it that you don't see very much these days.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote