Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default A tribute to the Century 21 model builders

I have been watching some of my favourite TB eps in search of TB1 hangar pictures (well I was but now I'm just enjoying the whole thing anyway) and apart from all the continuity things about different vehicle versions in consecutive shots (like TB1s undercarriage and TB2s numbers) and bits falling off that magically reappear like the Sherman tank hull on the side of Crab logger... which are all part of the fun of it... I just have to say that these guys were geniuses when it came to using any old stuff to make amazing vehicles.

I just watched Crab logger fall of that cliff and into lots of pieces and the pieces included Milo tins (or their equivalent) a plastic plate once yellow, plastic pipes and a couple of billies (tins with lids for boiling water and cooking things in on a fire for those who don't know the term) various bits of wood and a number of other unidentified cooking things and containers. The vehicle looked like a million bucks and was made of crap. I salute them.. top stuff all round
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Communications Officer

I can't stop my eyes being drawn to that damn lemon squeezer in the TB1 launch bay now whenever I watch the TB1 launch sequence. Before that Program on BBC4 (UK) I never knew what it was. Now I do I wish I didn't. Blasted documentaries. In fact, when they made the first Thunderbirds film and a had a much larger budget, I surprised they didn't upgrade it to a full blown kenwood chef. All that rescuing must be thirsty work!

Last edited by 29390; 20-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
hwels
Communications Officer

I've known that for years, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's the spirit of 'Thunderbirds' that's important to me. By the way: do you know what the main ingredients are for the 'Mysteron'-city? Read the Alan Shubrook book!
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Dave
Communications Officer

Whenever I see Thunderbird 3 launch, I can't stop looking out for the egg holder on the wall!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
like the Sherman tank hull on the side of Crab logger...
That's NOT a Sherman tank; that's a Tiger Joe which later appeared, more or less unchanged as the Unitron in Captain Scarlet and provided the running gear for the SHADO Mobiles
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

No, its a 1:72 sherman upper chassis that fell off at some point, its bearly larger than one of the tiger joe wheels. I'd better take a photo of my screen and put it on the forum when I can. Yes, the whole second vehicle is made up of tiger joe bits, but this is a little greebly on the rear end of the fender that faces camera. On again off again it is.
Old 21-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
spiffer
Computer Technician

Default Egg holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Whenever I see Thunderbird 3 launch, I can't stop looking out for the egg holder on the wall!
There's one of those in the roof of TB2's hanger as well.
I'm sure I've seen another one somwhere in Thunderbirds though I can't remember where.

Edit: punctuation.
spiffer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Communications Officer

Thanks guys, Thunderbirds is totally ruined for me now.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

No no, that's the brilliance of it. You know the stuff is there, and it brings a smile to your face, but you get hooked in anyway.

I'm redoing Captain Scarlet now. They really found moving those puppets about quite difficult in the first eps, but every so often the suddenly look like real people. Winged Assassin last night actually found me feeling very sad to the people in the plane and the president fellow who doesn't make it....and they're only puppets. TV the way it should be. Hats off to these people.
Old 22-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
No, its a 1:72 sherman upper chassis that fell off at some point, its bearly larger than one of the tiger joe wheels. I'd better take a photo of my screen and put it on the forum when I can. Yes, the whole second vehicle is made up of tiger joe bits, but this is a little greebly on the rear end of the fender that faces camera. On again off again it is.
I haven't seen the episode for some time, so if, as you say, that IS a sherman, you have my unqualified apology
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

No appologies needed, its not even there for half the ep
Old 22-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i'm with Tony on this one. knowing what went into making these sets and models shouldn't spoil it all, if anything it makes it more enjoyable trying to spot what was used and to be amazed at the model builders skill to turn everyday objects into what we see on the screen. i'm still blown away everytime i watch these programmes, great work, it's a shame we wont see the like again.
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
Dave
Communications Officer

"The SPV barely makes it across the bridge before the ice takes hold and then..."

...surely that's not someones hand?:

"Scott and Virgil race to save the family trapped beneath the burning Thompson Tower just as the ceiling begins to cave in. But then..."

...is that a 'G' clamp?:

Sort of puts things into perspective doesn't it?!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
paul gray
Forum Supporter

spoilsport
cheers Paul

paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Hey.. come on, the Thompson Towers had only just been finished... of course there'd be G clamps... and that hand.... its just the dastardly hand of the Mysterons, that's all...

Old 29-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

I m loving these revelations almost as much as the pounding Ironic Replicas are receiving!!

I had to smile when i found out about the cooling towers beside the lemon squeezer reactor in Thunderbird ones launch bay.When i was little my older Sister had the Marx Super Snooper and despite all the wonderful stuff i had it was one of my favourite toys!Might even still be in the loft somewhere...it s just the fact that after all these years such a familiar and much loved object was staring me in the face in one of my favourite shows-and i never even noticed!
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Amazing isn't it. That's cool model making at its best.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Ive always wondered what the bulbs with the chrome surrounds that fill nearly all the walls and panels of all the control panels where from? in fact I will need some for some models and cant find them anywhere, i know they where from some electronics radio shack type shop not far from the studios and that its now gone.

Im glad Ive found out recentley what the tank tracks where, as that was always a constant nag,

the tiger joe tank for things like the gray and houseman road builder and the vickers tractor toy for the gray and housemann tractor and the mole etc, although I would still like to know what the front tracks on the gray and houseman tractor was from, along with the cab which I read somewhere was based on a car kit, I think the missiles on the back are jetex tubes?

the gray and houseman tractor is one of my favourite vehicles and I would love to be able to make a studio replica of it one day, the fact that the tractor tracks are rare as hens teeth will need replica ones made, or does anyone already make replicas?

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote