SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
David
Astrophysics Technician

Default Help! Model Parachute fx

Hi everyone,

I need your help. To get straight to the point, I need to find something I can use as a miniature parachute for the apollo re-entry capsule. You see, for my college project, I'm making a film entirely with model special effects. The film is about nasa's first manned mission to mars. The last shot of the film shows the re-entry capsule landing in the sea. For this, I'll be using pretty much the same methods as Derek Meddings did for sea shots in Gerry Anderson series. I've got just about everything worked out, except for this parachute! I'm due to shoot this shot in just over a week. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

P.S. Here's some progress stills

David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Wow! Cool! Nice project. I think I can help you. Just scroll down until you get to the Apollo Parachute... There is also other stuff that might interest you.

http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_other.html

Keep up the good work and keep us informed!

Ron
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Silverleaf
Travel Tube Technician

There are many rocketry businesses available like:

Estes
Fliskits
Apogee

that make chutes in differing sizes. The problem comes down to the design on the chute. Having been a rocketeer for the last 35 years, I can tell you that no model company currently makes the style of Apollo chute your looking for.

However, that said, these are my best suggestions:

If you want realism, there is no substitute for the real thing. A miniature parachute made from nylon will exhibit the best characteristics - both in flight and when either splashing down in water or spilling out onto martian or regular dirt.. Your 2nd best shot would be to use material like that akin to a garbage bag - but it will be shiny when filmed.

You could always have a chute made for you in the size/scale that you need, but you will also have to identify the following additional properties:

Proper thickness of the shroud lines needed
Proper amount of shroud lines for the circumference of the parachute proper
Proper length of shroud lines

Remember as well that you are dealing with a small scale parachute. The hardest part will be making the attachment points realistic - in comparison to those on the real world version

Try http://www.fruitychutes.com/how_to_make_a_parachute.htm for some information.
Silverleaf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
David
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks Transporter and Silverleaf! I appreciate that. I think you've solved my problem I'll post up a still of the final shot when its done. When the entire film is finished, I'll put it on youtube.

Thanks again,
Dave
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote