Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Default Martian War Machine Diorama

A scratch built Manta style war machine.

War Machine Diorama
RussellE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Neat idea! Looking forward to seeing a city scene.

By the way, here's something I've never seen anyone do regarding models of the 'manta ship' Martian war machines from George Pal's TWotW... The Martian machines in the film were not supposed to be flying nor hovering, per se, but were actually supposed to be supported by electromagnetic tripod 'legs' rather than mechanical tripod legs in HG Wells' original novel. Initial scenes in the film actually show some of the energy 'legs' scintillating between the green lights on the manta undersides & the ground. Also, throughout the film, the ground beneath these energy 'legs' erupts in a shower of sparks.
Anyway, many modelers use a single clear acrylic rod stuck to their model's underside to elevate the model off of the ground. Really, though, they could use three clear rods, with little flecks of glittery paint or something along the rods to simulate the energy legs. (Some year, if I ever do my own dio of these machines, I plan to do just that!) Not only would it be more accurate, it would lend better stability to the model.

Just some food for thought.

(Another by the way, to really get nitpicky about accuracy, one could have a bunch of wires hanging down from studio scaffolding to the top of the machines! )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I did some War of the Worlds dioramas in 1996, they can be found on my web site here...... http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/scifi5.htm

Have a look at my attempt at producing a WotW George Pal version Manta Ray diorama with 'energy legs', btw that diorama is in 1/300th scale.

On a side note the Martian War Machines from the HG Wells version got me in hot water with Jeff Wayne no less. Short version, Jeff wayne thought that I was reproducing the diorama's and selling them to order, and he tried to get 10.000 out of me via his lawyer for copyright infringment. However they made a bit of a mistake because I had not been doing anything of the sort as the page clearly states, mind you I did learn quite a bit about copyright infringment, although I could have lived without the bill I ended up having to pay.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks CR.

Yeah, I'm aware of the back story to Pal's effects.
I've always found it creepier and more to my liking
that the "manta's" hover and move very slowly.
As to say, "Go ahead, Run. We'll get you eventually."

I love your idea of wires from studio scaffolding!!
RussellE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

This is my take on the Martians, trying to be faithful to the books descriptions.
He's Sculpy over a ball of tinfoil, ruins and soldiers are 1/35th shop bought military kits:

MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Nice! Looks really creepy!
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

New, for Christmas! Martian Potato Head! In stores now!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, that's a really good (and rather grotesque, but I mean that in a good way) representation of Wells' Martian.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Oh, forgot to mention...

TonyB: COOL! Energy legs! Someone finally did it!

Russell: "Go ahead, run. We'll get you eventually." What a great take on the movement of the machines. Creepy, really. Malevolent, menacing, unstoppable. I like it.